Food price increase? October 2023

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I can't even imagine paying $12 for a slice of that pizza or $15 for one of those burgers. Last visit I don't think I ever ate a quick service. Either food from sit downs (to go usually) or we had stuff we got from the grocery. It's crazy there now.
Where do you live? A quarter pounder with cheese and a large fry at my local MCDONALD'S is $11.18.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Not sure where you are but where I am (here in FL) $11.18 is the price of the meal which also includes a medium drink.
I chose a large fry with no drink because that's the direct comparison to what you'd get at a WDW quick service restaurant. Disney also uses 1/3 or 1/2 pound burger patties and gives you more than a McDonald's-large worth of fries. So when you consider portion size and the fact that you're a "captive audience" at WDW, the quick service prices honestly don't strike me as all that bad.

There are a lot of things at WDW that I think are insanely priced and would never defend. But QS F&B feels pretty okay.

MrPromey

I chose a large fry with no drink because that's the direct comparison to what you'd get at a WDW quick service restaurant. Disney also uses 1/3 or 1/2 pound burger patties and gives you more than a McDonald's-large worth of fries. So when you consider portion size and the fact that you're a "captive audience" at WDW, the quick service prices honestly don't strike me as all that bad.

There are a lot of things at WDW that I think are insanely priced and would never defend. But QS F&B feels pretty okay.
In that case, here in FL where WDW is, it would be $9.58 in a major market for just the sandwich and fries and they offer a 25% discount on that if you order through the app.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Where do you live? A quarter pounder with cheese and a large fry at my local MCDONALD'S is $11.18.

wow mine is .11 cents more expensive
1698430557647.png

MrPromey

wow mine is .11 cents more expensive
View attachment 751154
He wasn't talking about the meal. Wherever he is, that's the price for just the burger and the fries (apparently).

But that's the thing - if you come from a market with higher prices in general, some of Disney's prices don't seem quite as crazy but that's because costs of doing business are higher and everything is more expensive as a result in those places.

For Disney, (and to a slightly lesser extent, Universal) it's just more profit by boosting prices to the top end of what out-of-state guests will accept. Their higher prices have no connection to cost at all.

I don't think there's any moral argument to be made one way or the other here but price increases like this are about increasing or maintaining huge margins - not because they're at risk of losing money on that order of fries he thinks they're being so generous with at the pre-existing price.

Still, it's interesting - their bold take on increasing prices across the board in the face of softening demand.

Last edited:

LSLS

Smaller town, so I believe we are under $10 (including drink, but i also dont really eat there), but that's not changing my thoughts either. You give me a choice of the quick service burgers and fries at Disney for $15 or the same from McDonald's for $20, I'd order McDonalds.

Lilofan

Smaller town, so I believe we are under $10 (including drink, but i also dont really eat there), but that's not changing my thoughts either. You give me a choice of the quick service burgers and fries at Disney for $15 or the same from McDonald's for $20, I'd order McDonalds.
There is a 24 hour McDonald's at the entrance of All Star Resort and it is a little pricier than a location outside of WDW.

MrPromey

It's a different story in Disney Springs and some of the resorts where they know they have to compete but I've always considered the fast-service food in the parks to be overpriced barely serviceable crap.

In the topping bar days, the all-you-could-pump hot cheese-flavored glue made up for it a little in the case of burgers, sometimes.

A major exception to that was Tusker house and a minor exception was Be Our Guest... of course, neither is fast-service in any capacity anymore - surprise, surprise.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom