Food poisoning

Forensicmom

Original Poster
All you have to do is watch any "judge" show on daytime tv and you will quickly learn that food poisoning is almost impossible to prove in court. But I'm sorry this happened to you.

If you're lucky enough to be home during the day to watch Judge tv shows, you should know that most of them are just like regular reality TV and not real. I never said I was trying to prove something or get something. I just wanted to let Disney know so tht they could prevent someone else from getting sick.

The Mom

Premium Member
@BuddyThomas noted, food poisoning is hard to prove.

Reporting food poisoning may not get more than a thank you, we'll look into it. And unless they start getting a lot of complaints, or someone gets really ill (hospitalized and/or dies) nothing will be done - not because they don't care (although that might be the case) but because it's almost impossible to do something unless a large number of people got sick. Unless it's something simple.

My husband and BIL, SIL, and nephew played a round of golf at a prestigious golf course. All but my husband got sick that evening and through the night. My nephew passed on going out to dinner with us (we were a group of about a dozen at a family reunion) because he didn't feel well. He was the first to start having "issues" My BIL & SIL got ill after dinner. If not for their son, they might have blamed the restaurant. But my other BIL (an epidemiologist with the CDC) was able to take a history from each of us in the group and localize the most likely culprit as being the large water coolers (those big orange ones) located on the course. They drank a lot of water; my husband drank beer or soft drinks from the cart.

I called the course, told them what happened (mentioning CDC helped) and I suggested they either replace or sterilize the coolers. Easy peasy, and they were appreciative enough to send a gift certificate for a free round and carts for 4 for our next visit.

lazyboy97o

I just wanted to let Disney know so tht they could prevent someone else from getting sick.
@BuddyThomas noted, food poisoning is hard to prove.

Reporting food poisoning may not get more than a thank you, we'll look into it. And unless they start getting a lot of complaints, or someone gets really ill (hospitalized and/or dies) nothing will be done - not because they don't care (although that might be the case) but because it's almost impossible to do something unless a large number of people got sick. Unless it's something simple.

My husband and BIL, SIL, and nephew played a round of golf at a prestigious golf course. All but my husband got sick that evening and through the night. My nephew passed on going out to dinner with us (we were a group of about a dozen at a family reunion) because he didn't feel well. He was the first to start having "issues" My BIL & SIL got ill after dinner. If not for their son, they might have blamed the restaurant. But my other BIL (an epidemiologist with the CDC) was able to take a history from each of us in the group and localize the most likely culprit as being the large water coolers (those big orange ones) located on the course. They drank a lot of water; my husband drank beer or soft drinks from the cart.

I called the course, told them what happened (mentioning CDC helped) and I suggested they either replace or sterilize the coolers. Easy peasy, and they were appreciative enough to send a gift certificate for a free round and carts for 4 for our next visit.
This is a great example of why just blaming the last place isn’t good. If Disney does any sort of complaint monitoring and there really is an issue at a facility, they won’t find it if everyone reports the different places they ate dinner if the culprit is really the same place all those people ate breakfast.

Forensicmom

Original Poster
This is a great example of why just blaming the last place isn’t good. If Disney does any sort of complaint monitoring and there really is an issue at a facility, they won’t find it if everyone reports the different places they ate dinner if the culprit is really the same place all those people ate breakfast.

I'm positive this is where the problem started. My burger was almost cold and tasted funny to me. Within 30 min I started feeling weird and within 1 1/2 hours I was sick. It was a completely miserable experience, especially since I didn't even make it back to the hotel before I got sick. I was completely feeling fine before the hamburger. That should tell you something. I posted this post to ask if it happens and it seems like I'm being proved wrong and put on the spot. I'm new to these boards and I can honestly say, it's not the most friendly people. Good bye.

It is almost impossible to figure out the source of "food poisoning" this way for a few reasons.

- "Food poisoning" isn't a thing. It is either a virus, a bacteria, or another toxin causing the illness.
- If it's a virus, it can be spread person to person or just from a sick person touching any food item. It is impossible to pinpoint which food item.
- If it's a bacteria growing in food, there is the issue of timeline. Sometimes it hits fast, sometimes it takes hours or days. IT's impossible to know without testing. It is human nature to blame the most recent food, but that's not reliable at all. That is why it is so difficult for authorities to pinpoint the source when there are breakouts

I'm positive this is where the problem started. My burger was almost cold and tasted funny to me. Within 30 min I started feeling weird and within 1 1/2 hours I was sick. It was a completely miserable experience, especially since I didn't even make it back to the hotel before I got sick. I was completely feeling fine before the hamburger. That should tell you something. I posted this post to ask if it happens and it seems like I'm being proved wrong and put on the spot. I'm new to these boards and I can honestly say, it's not the most friendly people. Good bye.

Correlation does not imply causality. When you assert definitively that you are "positive" about causality when it's impossible to be certain, you lose credibility. Good bye.

lazyboy97o

Nobody is putting you on the spot or trying to prove you wrong. We’re trying to point out that such self-diagnosis is highly unreliable and that the culprit was likely something else, including other Disney dining venues.

The Mom

Premium Member

You wanted to know if food poisoning happens? Yes, of course it does. No one is saying that you didn't have food poisoning. They are just pointing out that there may be other sources - just as you can't tell a predator by appearances, you can't tell food poisoning by taste. Could it have been the source? Maybe more likely than not. Could there have been other possibilities? Yes.

We were just pointing out that blaming the restaurant, and then letting them know to prevent other people from getting ill, might be a waste of time. No problem with doing it, but it probably won't make a difference.

And the fact that it happened while you were on vacation makes it more likely than not that you picked up some sort of pathogen at WDW - somewhere.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This is testimony as to why, if you get food that's cold or doesn't look or smell "quite right," SEND IT BACK.

Minnesota disney fan

This is testimony as to why, if you get food that's cold or doesn't look or smell "quite right," SEND IT BACK.

Yes, that's the zinger right there! cold food that doesn't smell right! I would call that the culprit too, and I would tell the restaurant, guest relations,, anyone I could. To me, it sounds just like what the OP stated, that she got immediate food poisoning from that smelly, cold food. I hope the OP continues on these boards, and realizes that everyone has an opinion and it usually gets stated on here. But I agree with her.

lazyboy97o

Yes, that's the zinger right there! cold food that doesn't smell right! I would call that the culprit too, and I would tell the restaurant, guest relations,, anyone I could. To me, it sounds just like what the OP stated, that she got immediate food poisoning from that smelly, cold food. I hope the OP continues on these boards, and realizes that everyone has an opinion and it usually gets stated on here. But I agree with her.
That is not the zinger. Illness impacts the senses. It also could have been cold and still not the source.

DisAl

That is not the zinger. Illness impacts the senses. It also could have been cold and still not the source.
Cold food are supposed to be kept COLD, not room temp.
Hot foods are supposed to be kept (and served) HOT, not room temp.
That is why food temps are one of the key things health departments check when doing restaurant inspections.
Cold foods not kept cold and hot foods not kept hot are just incubators for bacteria waiting on spoilage to happen and it doesn't take long. That still doesn't prove anything in this instance but it does make it suspect.

Minnesota disney fan

I don't know, but hot food served cold is a give away for me. And the smell is the topper. So, I would have taken the food back at that point. But that's just me, and my opinion. No need to argue the fact. have a nice day.

Jimmy Thick

If you think you got food poisoning from a Disney restaurant and let Disney know right away Disney will send you to a doctor and totally take care of you. But you need to let them know. Unfortunately this happened to someone from our group and I was shocked at how fantastic Disney was about this. Disney takes food poisoning very seriously.

Ghost00

If you think you got food poisoning from a Disney restaurant and let Disney know right away Disney will send you to a doctor and totally take care of you. But you need to let them know. Unfortunately this happened to someone from our group and I was shocked at how fantastic Disney was about this. Disney takes food poisoning very seriously.

Unfortunately this isnt true. We just got back from our honeymoon. We first went to california, mexico, and then disney world for a few days. This last Saturday we ate at Beaches and Cream for lunch. I started feeling sick about 6 hours later. I started vomitting/diarrhea. This went through the night and morning becoming severely dehydrated. Sunday, which was also my birthday, my wife went down to guest services and all they did was give us 2 flyers. 1 for an urgent care, 1 for an in call dr( starts at $200 just to get him to your resort). I chose urgent care. Sat there for 2 hours until being called back just to be told they didnt have IV bags and needed to transport me to the hospital (severely dehydrated at this point). Even though the hospital was only 4 min away, they called an ambulance because of how dehydrated I was. Got 2 liters of iv fluid, not enough bc my urine was still dark brown. Gave me a 3rd liter and two rounds of zofran for the vomitting and by 4 am I was finally back at the resort having to get up at 6 am for our flight. Guest services said a manager would call sun evening. Its tues morning and nothing, which is fine bc I dont want anything from them. But they dont take great care of you, that's false. They hand you some info and send you on your way. And it def was food poisoning, the urgent care dr and ER dr both diagnosed it, and a CT of my stomach while it was injected with iodine confirmed it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom