Food Ideas to Save Money

WDWFigment

So we are trying to save money for our August trip, and are having trouble coming up with food products that could be checked with our luggage on the plane. As such, they can't be something that damages easily (loaf of bread and eggs are out!) nor can they be something that requires refrigeration (prior to being opened). We also would like foods of substance/sustenance, so Nutty Buddy bars and Oatmeal cream pies are out!

Thus far our only ideas are PBJ sandwiches on bagels and trail mix with nuts. Any other ideas?

shoppingnut

You can pack the Thomas' non-frozen bagels and toast them in the food court and as someone mentioned the butter is free, they do charge for cream cheese though. Pop-tarts, instant oatmeal can be made in the food court with the hot water for tea. If you want to bring bread with you and are worried about it getting crushed, just carry that item on the plane with you.

Jello, pudding and fruit cups that don't have to be refrigerated are good too and can be packed in the suitcase.

Upvote 0

k.hunter30

I actually had written the dining plan off because I thought there were specific rules (You have to get the plan for as many days as your trip; you have to purchase at least one park ticket per person on the plan(?)), and I wasn't planning on buying any park tickets because a friend in the CP will have tickets for us.

But now it looks as if we'll each be buying at least a one day pass. Does anyone know if the dining plan works with CM discounted hotel rates? Additionally, are you required to purchase the plan for each day of your stay? It still might work out for us overall, as we plan on going to Chef Mickey's and Coral Reef, as well as eating lunch and dinner each day in the parks at quick service restaurants. I plan on calling WDW Dining later, but I am at work now, and couldn't find the answers to these questions by searching.
You purchase the plan for each night of your stay - not each day. For example, on our last trip were were at the resort and the parks Saturday morning to Friday night and had six days on the dining plan to work with (even though we had a 7-day hopper). We paid for one TS out of pocket and everything else was on the DP.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

If you have two people in a room for 5 nights you must BOTH purchase the plan for the whole 5 nights. The only way around this is to break the trip up 2nights/3 nights and check out and check back in. You WILL eat better on the dining plan, but you will not eat cheaper on the plan if you did not plan originally to do a sit down meal every day.

We are doing the dining plan, because of the ease of use and the fact that I will know that every girl is getting a nice meal every day and not just grabbing hot dogs daily. Plus with the bigger groups the savings on the tips alone is worth it.

Upvote 0

DisneyMomof2

The dining plan is great! I believe that you must buy the plan equal to the number of nights booked in the room. As to availability with the discount, I don't know.

Check out Mousesavers.com which has a great section of "cheap eats". One of the tips is two slices of bread cost @$.75. In some food courts peanut butter is free, in others it is $.50. Jelly is free in all the food courts I have been in. So, for < $1.50 you can make PB&Js.

Also, think about splitting some meals. Two that have always worked well for DH an me. One is the 1/2 chix and ribs combo at the chicken station in Cosmic Rays in MK. It is only one counter credit on the dining plan and plenty of food for 2. It is a better value on the dining plan, but for about $7.50 each you will have a great, filling meal.

The other is the double burger at Pecos Bills. For an extra $.60 (two years ago) I purchased an extra hamburger bun and made 2 single burgers. This option should run about $4.00 each. This is even less that purchasing a child meal.

At Epcot - if you enjoy different foods, the Tangerine Cafe in Morrocco has Shawarma Platters for $12 - $14 complete with side dishes and bread that are enough for two to split. Don't overlook the refreshment port for free beverages and free cookies at the Nestle Junior Chef experience (opposite soarin' entrance in the Land) (just check the posted schedule and sometimes thay give out cookies to all spectators also, not just participants).

Lastly, check out the menus on allears.net and you will be able to better plan which dining experience will work best for you. Have a great trip:)

Upvote 0

WDWFigment

Original Poster
The dining plan is great! I believe that you must buy the plan equal to the number of nights booked in the room. As to availability with the discount, I don't know.

Check out Mousesavers.com which has a great section of "cheap eats". One of the tips is two slices of bread cost @$.75. In some food courts peanut butter is free, in others it is $.50. Jelly is free in all the food courts I have been in. So, for < $1.50 you can make PB&Js.

Also, think about splitting some meals. Two that have always worked well for DH an me. One is the 1/2 chix and ribs combo at the chicken station in Cosmic Rays in MK. It is only one counter credit on the dining plan and plenty of food for 2. It is a better value on the dining plan, but for about $7.50 each you will have a great, filling meal.

The other is the double burger at Pecos Bills. For an extra $.60 (two years ago) I purchased an extra hamburger bun and made 2 single burgers. This option should run about $4.00 each. This is even less that purchasing a child meal.

At Epcot - if you enjoy different foods, the Tangerine Cafe in Morrocco has Shawarma Platters for $12 - $14 complete with side dishes and bread that are enough for two to split. Don't overlook the refreshment port for free beverages and free cookies at the Nestle Junior Chef experience (opposite soarin' entrance in the Land) (just check the posted schedule and sometimes thay give out cookies to all spectators also, not just participants).

Lastly, check out the menus on allears.net and you will be able to better plan which dining experience will work best for you. Have a great trip:)

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've spent the last half-hour at Mousesavers printing things off and making notes!

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Another suggestion, at least in regards to HOW to get food instead of WHAT food to get...

All of the Disney Vacation Club resorts (Old Key West, Saratoga Springs Resort, Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge) have a small amount of groceries that can be purchased in their general store/gift shop areas. You can also buy some groceries in the "Trading Post" stores at Fort Wilderness. Basically any resort where some of the accomodations include full kitchens. While the selection is smaller than a supermarket, and the prices undoubtedly higher, at least you have the option of picking up some sandwich fixings, cereal, milk and juice and snacks and frozen pizzas and stuff like that to tide you over. Plus, it gives you an opportunity to check out some of the other resorts if you're into that sort of thing.

And here's a crazy thought. If you're getting cast member discounts on tickets, that means you know a cast member, right? Does this cast member have a car? Does this cast member KNOW someone who has a car? Maybe this cast member or friend of a cast member wouldn't mind either going grocery shopping with you or loaning you a car to drive the few miles to a grocery store.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

The Trail's End Buffet in Fort Wilderness is the least expensive buffet and has many good reviews, I personally haven't eaten there. http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_teb.htm

One morning you might want to have the breakfast there because I know if I go to a buffet breakfast, I'm usually full for most of the day and that evening don't usually want more than a small meal so we generally share something.

Upvote 0

LivinWitTheLand

Dining Plan & Sancks

If you are on the Disney Dining Plan you can use your snack credits to get a decent amount of food with in Pop's food court. Last year when we stayed there, we used our snack credits to get a big bag of Thomas's Bagles, a big box Enteiman's Donughts, Large bags of chips etc. You'd be really surprised at the offerings they added on late last year at the food courts for snack credits.

Aside from that, we usually pack cereal bars. As to the oatmeal dilemna with no coffee maker in Pop's rooms, look for a cheap $5 2 cup coffee maker at WalMart or Big Lots, pack it, use it and throw it away before you leave to come home. Plus not having the box to tote home will make extra packing space for souviners.

We also find it helpful to bring the single serve flavored drink powders with us into the theme parks. This way you can fill up a 20 oz water bottle at the fountains and avoid the sulfury taste of Orlandp's water. Again, if you go to WalMart, their brand is only $1.89 for a 10 pack. Much cheaper than anywhere we have found.

Enjoy Pop! Have you ever stayed their before?

Upvote 0

dragonfox98

Hey, there, WDWFigment! I often read your posts, but have never responded. Being that I am cheap (thanks to my wonderful grandfather), here are a few things we did last year and are planning to do this year:
  • went to BJs and purchased Quaker granola bars and a huge box of gummy bears. The granola isn't just for the kids, but me and DH as well - it's a quick grab and go kinda thing.
  • I think we also brought those orange peanut butter cracker things, but I can't be positive.
  • When we were in the parks, we used DH's ginormous backpack to hold three bottles of water plus one frozen bottle. I used a hand towel laid in the bottom so the condensation wouldn't get all over the place. This year though, I splurged - I actually bought an insulated backpack. I got it at Target for either $17 or $27. Not bad when you look online and see how much the "picnic backpacks" are going for.
  • Also before we went to the parks everyday, we would stop at the 7-11 and get a soda for him and a soda for me. I never broke the seal until after we went through the turnstiles (I wasn't sure if I would be made to throw it away if the seal was broken).
As for regular food, I think the other posters have got you on to some pretty good ideas. As much as we've never particiapted in it, the dining plan does look great if you qualify!

Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

mpoppins76

I always take a bag of bagels (for the morning, will usually hold us til lunch) and a box of Cheez-Its to take w/ us to snack while waiting in line. :)

Upvote 0

MickeyFan77

Does anyone know if the dining plan works with CM discounted hotel rates? .

From my knowledge as I just tried to book through my Aunt who is a seasonal CM there you can't get the dining plan with a Discounted rate. We tried and were even going to pay for MYW tickets but they still wouldn't do it. I then decided to change the dates to go during free dining.

Upvote 0

dopeylove

Since I live in the Hurricane State (aka, Florida, the Sunshine State), the following comes to mind:

cans of tuna, Ramen noodles, canned meats, chicken, fruits and veggies, crackers, pepperoni slices or sticks, american cheese slices, and many of the items already listed.

Upvote 0

Nebrfan

Maybe these have already been posted so I apologize if so.....

Each park has a spot where you can buy a piece of fruit for $1, a good healthy snack. At most of the counter service restaurants, you can ask for a cup of ice water with your meal-- those are free and a lot healthier than drinking pop at every meal. Cold cereal is great-- if you don't have a fridge, fill your ice bucket and get a small jug of milk in the motel gift shop. It will stay cold in there until you refill the bucket. Get a double hamburger/cheeseburger and split it. You can usually get full on 1/2 of them if you throw in carrots or a few fries. And lastly, tell your partner to go on a diet and stop eating so much. That one probably won't work but it's worth a shot, leaving more money for you.

Upvote 0

WDWFigment

Original Poster
And lastly, tell your partner to go on a diet and stop eating so much. That one probably won't work but it's worth a shot, leaving more money for you.

:ROFLOL:Yeah, I might be going to WDW on my own if I use that method.

...Although that would save me even more! :D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom