Trip Report Food and Rain Festival, Polynesian, 5th Anniversary!

Thanks to fall break, I got my photos edited and uploaded already. Yay!

Cast: Me and my husband, R
Where: Polynesian DVC villa (rental)
When: Oct 4-10
Why: 5th wedding anniversary

When we were planning this trip, I was unable to find any decent rates for our flight down on the 5th. I ended up finding a late Delta flight on the 4th that would get us there after midnight. It was around $70 as opposed to the ~$250 Southwest flights I was finding. I figured I wouldn't be able to add a night at the Poly, and frankly, I wouldn't want to pay that much for a room we didn't need until the wee hours of the morning. So I booked a room at All-Star Sports with some Disney rewards points. Score!

Ok now on to the trip. I left work a couple of hours early, took Chipper to his sitter's house and got home to get all the bags ready. R got home a little earlier than planned, and we were able to leave the house a little before 4pm.

We got to the Memphis airport in great time. I don't have TSA pre-check, and they sent me through a line where they were training someone. It. took. forever. I already get super anxious during the security check, and additional waiting makes it worse. Once I'm through and I KNOW I'm at my gate, I'm fine. But enough about my issues...

We had a plane change in Atlanta. Not a long layover. They were already starting to board when we got there. Atlanta had this cool art installation that reminded me of Pandora.

We got to Orlando before 12:30 and headed to claim our bag. It was weird seeing MCO completely empty.

Our bag came out almost immediately, so we grabbed it and made our way to the busses. We were headed to All-Star Sports at about ten till 1. Me = sleepy and cranky. Slanky? (not creepy...:joyfull:). Unfortunately it hit me that we never got a room text, which meant we'd have to stop at the desk. ARGH.

We were the 3rd drop off and got off the bus at 1:40. There was only one person at the desk, and the two people in front of us seemed to be taking forever. It was about 15 minutes before a second person finally came out and we got our room number in less than a minute. Would have been nice to have just GOTTEN A TEXT. I guess maybe when I did online checkin I put that we'd be there late? I don't understand why that would make them not text us though.

Whatever. We got to sleep about 2:15am and I was OUT.

Sorry this is so text heavy. One more story, then I promise I'll do more pictures.

At 6am the freaking in-room alarm goes off. :arghh: I turned it off (I thought)
At 6:10am the freaking in-room alarm goes off :arghh:. I unplugged it
At 6:20am the freaking in-room alarm goes off :arghh::devilish:. I briefly considered throwing it off the balcony, but R took it from me and started trying to figure it out. You needed a screwdriver to get to the batteries, but he figured out how to actually turn it off. Thankfully that worked.

We fell back asleep and didn't get up until 9. After we were up and moving, I took some pictures. Apologies for the slept-in beds (we sleep in a king bed at home, so in these doubles, we split up...no shame)

Donald :inlove: I liked the room instantly because of this.

I thought the headboards were cool.

Honestly, I liked this room better than our Pop room last spring! I would totally stay here again. I think I'd request being closer to the main building. We were about as far as you could get in the baseball section. It didn't matter for us, but for a longer stay it would.

I headed out to get coffee and look for a rain jacket for R (we forgot to get one for him before). Sorry all iphone pictures...I forgot my camera. *Edited to add - after reviewing this post, I realize I took the room pictures AFTER getting coffee. Oops. Bad note taking.

It was raining steadily. It was a light rain, but heavy enough that I needed my jacket on with the hood up.

No luck with the jacket. I headed back to the room with only my $3 coffee. :cautious::hilarious:

We finished getting ready, packed back up and called at Lyft at 10. Jose took us over to the Poly. We had a great conversation! Unfortunately, this was the most expensive Lyft I've had, and it wasn't even that long. Ugh. No idea why there was surge pricing at 10am on a Friday. Whatever.

We walked into the Poly at about 10:30 and our room text came in! I couldn't believe it!

I love this lobby so much and it smells soooooooo good :inlove::inlove::inlove: What I wouldn't give to smell it right now.

We were in Moorea, so we headed there. I knew it would be on the far end, so we headed that way and when we ran across a map, we charted our course.

Last edited:

Kiwiduck

Re: Tonga Toast

We liked the strawberry compote alright, but the whole thing together just wasn't what I had built up in my head. It could be smaller too...that's a lot of dense carbs for so early in the morning! @Tuvalu @Tony the Tigger @lostpro9het (I think zebra domes are overrated too)

Also @Tony the Tigger I believe you can get the toast at Captain Cooks without the compote. You should try it sometime! It might be good with syrup :hungry:
I think someone else might have mentioned this recently but another “iconic” Disney food I was excited to try and which was very disappointing was Zebra Domes at Animal Kingdom Lodge. They we’re so soft and mushy and the flavour wasn’t that great either.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Our first FP in Magic Kingdom was 7 Dwarves. Hooray! One of my favs.

The people in front of us were so excited to see the queen/hag. I was glad we stopped for a second beside her so they could actually get a good look! And I could get a good picture :p

LIVING MY BEST LIFE

Our next FP was for Space, and it was coming up pretty soon since we'd caught the end of our FP for 7 dwarves. On the way, I saw something I'd been wanting to see FOREVER!!!!!

I made sure and told him how magical it was. He was so humble and kept saying he was still learning. I told him it looked perfect to me! It was so great to finally see a mop painting AND it's Donald! :D

Unfortunately this was not intentional....We thought we guessed right, but alas, we pulled a @Tuvalu. But thankfully @TrolleyFollower91 told me how to know which side to look, so this won't happen again!

Saw iCan outside

I literally cannot remember any more details except what I have pictures of...this is seriously why I take pictures! Without them I'd never remember anyway. Apparently we headed to Frontierland next, and I'll pick up there.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
We saw the Country Bears playing duck duck goose! Or duck duck bear? Bear bear goose?

Cutest thing ever!

We must have just been waiting on our next FP, because we ended up at Haunted Mansion.

After that, I think Big Thunder had like a 20 or 30 minute wait, so we decided to do that. I usually do FP for this, so I enjoyed taking pictures in the queue.

Going up!

And back down!

After an awesome ride on Big Thunder, we hopped on It's a Small World with a FP I picked up on the app.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster

We're famous!

Next we headed over to Buzz to use another FP I picked up. I kept getting them on the app and changing the time until it was coming up soon! Worked out perfect for us.

We got stuck before we got in the first room, and I totally hit galactic hero before we moved again :hilarious: I mean....is it cheating if the stopping isn't your fault?! I just took some pictures the rest of the time. R got to galactic hero pretty quickly too.

I saved the galaxy!

12in12

We're famous!

Next we headed over to Buzz to use another FP I picked up. I kept getting them on the app and changing the time until it was coming up soon! Worked out perfect for us.

We got stuck before we got in the first room, and I totally hit galactic hero before we moved again :hilarious: I mean....is it cheating if the stopping isn't your fault?! I just took some pictures the rest of the time. R got to galactic hero pretty quickly too.

I saved the galaxy!
Where did you get that Galactic Hero sticker?

GCTales

Kinda late to the party, but enjoying your TR. Fellow Memphis area resident...

First, Happy Anniversary!!!

October can be hit or miss with weather.. We had a Halloween party washed out due to rain (they made an announcement that they would refund the party cost or give tickets to another night to anyone who requested after lightning hit the castle and washed out the parade).

I have always preferred the Tonga Toast w/o the strawberry compote... But I tend to get the Eggs Benedict at Kona.... Used to hit the coffe stand right outside for some genuine Kona coffee (back when the rooms and QS had powdered Nescafé...... Shudder....). Oh, and I totally agree.. Zebra domes are way over rated.

If you go offsite for coffee, check out Wawa. Awesome coffee and reasonable prices.

I am amazed you were able to find that cheap an airfare from mem. I am lucky to see a $250 pp rate... More often in the $300 range. Nice catch!

Since it will be a while before we get to go back home to our happy place, I am enjoying F&W vicariously through you.

Last edited:

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
For a little while that morning, I'd been messaging one of my instagram friends to see if she wanted to meet up. She was there with a friend so I didn't want to take up too much time, but we could at least say hi at some point! R and I were going to head on out of the park, but since Festival of Fantasy was going on, I figured I'd watch it and wait for Annie to walk that way since she said they would be leaving Tomorrowland for Main Street.

I didn't have a great spot, but I got a couple of cute pictures. Once it ended, I sat under an umbrella with R for like 1 minute, and then along came Annie!

She runs Butler & Co., @butlerandcompany on instagram. They have some of the cutest shirts! She also gave me two of their pins, which was so sweet. They were the first non-Disney pins I got, and now I've got a little board of them from various shops. Since we were both heading out of the park, we walked and talked all the way down the INSANELY PACKED Main Street. Poor R was just trailing behind while I jabbered away :hilarious: I'm glad he tolerates me.

Once back at the Poly, I can't remember if we rested first or got food first, but at some point I got my fav nachos from Captain Cooks.

R got some noodles. And as you can see in that bag...I got some Airborne because I was starting to feel sick. This stuff is so stinking expensive! I use Emergen-C at home, and I don't think it's nearly that high. But anyway, now I can't even remember if it worked... I don't think I got super sick, but I may have gotten a full blown cold when I got back. I had several around the late summer/fall this year. It was annoying!

After our snack/nap break, it was time for the halloween party that we'd postponed! Weather was looking good, so I was glad we'd made the decision to change it.

The checkin process was a little confusing, but we got to the right place. I always feel like the cast members are barking at me during these kind of events. Like sheesh, give me a second to read signs before you start hollering! :cautious:

I wish I'd taken more photos of the decorations, but it was crowded, and I get frustrated easily.

Such a beautiful evening!

The pumpkins on the Main Street buildings are so cute!!!

Sorry, not sorry for more castle photos :cool:

Up next: more MNSSHP

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

LOVE these outfits!!!

Such a good show! I always tear up at the sappiness :p

Thanks for dealing with my photo overload. There will be more overloads... oops :cautious:

After this, we headed to Adventureland because I'd gotten us a Jungle Cruise FP earlier. R doesn't like this ride, but we try to ride it most trips. I enjoy it, but it's not a must-do anymore.

The next morning, we had a breakfast ADR that I was pumped about! I'd been wanting to try tonga toast forever, and since we were staying at the Poly, it was the perfect time for a Kona breakfast.

R was wearing his cool new band. He got it the previous evening before we headed out of the park. I debated on it, but I ultimately passed. I like it a lot, but I already spend too much at Disney :joyfull: R doesn't get many souvenirs, so I'm glad he found something he wanted.

First things first! I liked the french press coffee a lot. R not so much...more for me!

I ended up getting the Loco Moco because R was wanting to try the tonga toast. It was SO GOOD. Oh my gosh, you guys. If I ate breakfast regularly, this is totally what I'd eat. Here's the description: "Traditional Island Brunch staple which features a tower of Rice, grilled Hamburger Patty, House-made Chorizo Gravy, Two Eggs-Any Style, and topped with Tomato Salsa" It was FIRE. R ate a few bites too, because unfortunately neither of us fell in love with the tonga toast.

It wasn't bad, but we didn't love it as much as we hoped. I guess that's the bad thing about hype...sometimes stuff doesn't live up to expectations! :(

Such a gorgeous resort :inlove:

We were STUFFED, but we headed to MK after breakfast. Caught my fav show on the way in...

Up next: more MK!

Do you ever send the performance pictures in to Disney (guest services or something?). I bet some of the performers would love to see these shots.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Do you ever send the performance pictures in to Disney (guest services or something?). I bet some of the performers would love to see these shots.
No but I always hashtag them on instagram, and occasionally performers will find them. I follow a few performers on instagram too, and I tag them if I get them in a shot. I wish there was a way to know who they all are! I would assume they get lots of photos of the shows for their portfolios.

GCTales

Thank you for all the awesome pics... Since it is going to be about a year before we can get back to our Happy Place, I am visiting vicariously through your photo montage....

Songbird76

For a little while that morning, I'd been messaging one of my instagram friends to see if she wanted to meet up. She was there with a friend so I didn't want to take up too much time, but we could at least say hi at some point! R and I were going to head on out of the park, but since Festival of Fantasy was going on, I figured I'd watch it and wait for Annie to walk that way since she said they would be leaving Tomorrowland for Main Street.

I didn't have a great spot, but I got a couple of cute pictures. Once it ended, I sat under an umbrella with R for like 1 minute, and then along came Annie!

She runs Butler & Co., @butlerandcompany on instagram. They have some of the cutest shirts! She also gave me two of their pins, which was so sweet. They were the first non-Disney pins I got, and now I've got a little board of them from various shops. Since we were both heading out of the park, we walked and talked all the way down the INSANELY PACKED Main Street. Poor R was just trailing behind while I jabbered away :hilarious: I'm glad he tolerates me.

Once back at the Poly, I can't remember if we rested first or got food first, but at some point I got my fav nachos from Captain Cooks.

R got some noodles. And as you can see in that bag...I got some Airborne because I was starting to feel sick. This stuff is so stinking expensive! I use Emergen-C at home, and I don't think it's nearly that high. But anyway, now I can't even remember if it worked... I don't think I got super sick, but I may have gotten a full blown cold when I got back. I had several around the late summer/fall this year. It was annoying!

After our snack/nap break, it was time for the halloween party that we'd postponed! Weather was looking good, so I was glad we'd made the decision to change it.

The checkin process was a little confusing, but we got to the right place. I always feel like the cast members are barking at me during these kind of events. Like sheesh, give me a second to read signs before you start hollering! :cautious:

I wish I'd taken more photos of the decorations, but it was crowded, and I get frustrated easily.

Whenever I start to feel like I'm coming down with something, I take some zinc and it helps. We don't have emergenC or airborne here, that I know of. So I do zinc, vitamin C and then if my throat is funky I'll resort to drinking tea with a ton of honey in it. (I REALLY hate tea, but it DOES make my throat feel better) Might be something to think about for next time.

GCTales

Wait.. I just realized... No Ichabod!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom