Following the "unofficial guide"

boopuff

Has anyone read and followed the advice from the "unofficial guide to WDW"? Some of the travel plans are ...well Goofy! I'm just curious if anyone has tried dashing around as they recommend or do you just do your own thing? Also if you've tried the unofficial plans do they actually save you time?

10 more days!!! WDW here I come!!!:D

Tim G

boopuff said:
Has anyone read and followed the advice from the "unofficial guide to WDW"? Some of the travel plans are ...well Goofy! I'm just curious if anyone has tried dashing around as they recommend or do you just do your own thing? Also if you've tried the unofficial plans do they actually save you time?

10 more days!!! WDW here I come!!!:D
Err... Which unofficial guide?

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

Well, I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark here and assume you're talking about The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World, 2005, by Bob Sehlinger. I happen to love this guide in that I view it as a warts and all review of WDW. I like to read other people's experiences and their comments.

Now, as for the guides, I did use his plans to hit those attractions that I knew would be most popular, thus allowing me the chance to take my time through the various parks later. Also, I have tailored his guides to fit my needs. Obviously it it's not a crowded day and waits are nonexistant, then there's no need for it.

Upvote 0
I really like it and it seems to work well. A little confusing, but if you want to go on all of the best rides with the least amount of time waited possible, then this is your best option. :wave:

Upvote 0

brich

I read the guides as research. As I do for any vacation, I love to read up on whats offered and available. But then I leave the books at home and just do what feels best. I myself get no enjoyment by goiung through the motions of a preconceived game plan. I like to make sporadic decisions based on what's happening. My take is read up, get some tips and pointers but just go and let things happen. Make decisions on the fly and just worry about having fun. Like I've said before, if you miss anything, that's a perfect excuse to plan a return trip!! :D

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I think the guides work best if you are really not familiar with the parks, if you want to know what has changed since you've last been there, or want to preplan some meals. The other benefit is that you may get exposed to things you never knew existed and want to try those new experiences.

Beyond that, I believe what would serve you best is to know the top three or four things you (or your party) identify as absolute must do's. Do those first or plan with fastpass, PS or whatever, then relax and enjoy a more casual exposure to the parks.

There are some that thoroughly enjoy a guerrilla approach to the parks (and no I don't mean without underwear :rolleyes: . Most do not, and if they try to do "everything", they will end up not enjoying anything. Similarly, those that have no idea what they are doing, wander aimlessly and just getting in the nearest line to the right miss out on much, and often find themselves feeling that they wasted the day. I would suggest something in between.

Upvote 0

PurpleDragon

I have never used guide books. I like to just go into the trip knowing what special events will be going on in th parks and what rides I HAVE TO hit and then outside of that I play it by ear.

But I must say the best advice I can give anyone is to find time to take a rest/nap during the middle of the day, either at your resort or some secluded area in one of the parks. Otherwise by 7:00 you'll be so exhausted you won't be able to enjoy the rest of the evening. Trust me, walking around and being on your feet for 10-12 hours straight will do it to ya.

Upvote 0

spoodles

All IMHO, of course.

The Unofficial Guide is great. I've done several WDW trips over the years, but never got as much out of it as the last 2, where I used the guide to develop tour plans. In the end, the biggest benefit as I see it is that you never have to spend time while you're in the parks deciding what to do next. If your with a big group, or aren't necessarily WDW experts, this can save loads of time otherwise spent with the maps open (and possibly arguing).

On the other hand, WDW experts who know the parks and goings on like the backs of their hands, would probably have no use for a tour plan.

Personally, I can only make it down there every few years. So when we do go it's a big deal, and using the guide is a big part of the build up. For me, WDW is too big and too expensive to wing it.

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

spoodles said:
Personally, I can only make it down there every few years. So when we do go it's a big deal, and using the guide is a big part of the build up. For me, WDW is too big and too expensive to wing it.

I couldn't agree more. The parks are just way too big and there's just too much to see. You really need to have an understanding of the parks and why certain rides are popular and at what times. And I find the tour plans to be a good road map. One that gives you a lay of the land of which you may also detour from. I find that the more I go, the less I need the touring plans. But it's always a good reference guide.

Upvote 0

boopuff

Original Poster
Thanks - Yep I meant the 2004 Guide by BobSehlinger. I do like the tips and hints but I just can't see trying to follow his plans at all

Thanks a lot!

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

boopuff said:
Thanks - Yep I meant the 2004 Guide by BobSehlinger. I do like the tips and hints but I just can't see trying to follow his plans at all

Thanks a lot!

Well, this is just me, but I found them to be very helpful. But as I said, the more you visit, the less you depend on them because you kind of go into autopilot. You know what to do.

And don't forget that Bob Sehlinger will even tailor your own personal touring plan!! :lol: I was kinda tempted to pony up the money to see what he'd come up with, but you can definitely come up with it yourself.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

I have to admit.................I'm well impressed by The Unofficial Guide. I got a copy prior to our 2001 visit - I read it cover to cover and back again :lol: I just can't put it down.
I also enjoy WDWIG and use it as an online guide (as well as WDWMagic) as they're both updated when things happen - not just annually

Upvote 0

AEfx

The internet has phased most travel books out of relevance - which is why you now see the makers of the Unoffical guide hawking their online "customized" touring plans for $20 bucks a whack.

I bought the Unoffical Guide for years annually just to keep updated (say, from 90-99), but this year I bought it again for the first time in several. It's not much different. More pages doesn't mean better - I feel like they tack on to sections as opposed to truly updating them. I mean, Disney-MGM and Universal have been around for fifteen years, yet they are still lumped together in one section (though mysteriously, AK gets it's own).

It's little (big?) things like that that make me feel like they are slipping over there. The thing just needs a massive overhaul - I understand it's not geared toward repeat readers, but the foundation is getting very creaky. I also don't care for the endless relisting of the same data in a different format - I'd much prefer a single dining section with considered reviews of dining establishments broken up by location instead of three different lists listing them in different ways with relatively meaningless "star" ratings.

It's still the best book out there for WDW, but if you have internet access, between here, AllEars, and a few other sources, you can get just as much information as you need to make a magical visit, as with any travel destination in the Internet age. I have a hard time reccomending Unoffical Guide to many people these days, as I usualy send them to Birnbaum's which they find more visually stimulating if not critically superior.

Most people aren't prepared to wade through 800+ pages, and I can't reccomend it for a Disney-newbie, especially when I personally feel the layout has been suffering for quite some time. The thing could use a major editorial overhaul - it could be the best guide out there, Internet or not, if they shave off the excess and reorganized it from the ground up.

Just my opinion...

AEfx

Upvote 0

bakers-to-be

My husband and I used his touring plans for our recent trip and it was great. We were so spoiled; no waits and we got to see everything we wanted (except for Small World). I'd recommend them for the reasons above. (But we both Type "A" ISTJ, love the plan-follow the plan, type people, for whom random experiences do not work...)

Upvote 0

spoodles

AEfx you raise some good points (whistles as waits for len's reply).

I don't know, I still love the Guide. I do agree that it could use some visual sprucing up, and I could see some frustration over its heavily cross-referenced layout. Major overhaul? I'm not sure. I really would love to hear lentesta's take.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom