Flying

shannonpete32

Hi I am going to WDW in 22 days. Now I have gone many times before but this will be my 2nd time flying. For some reason I have this fear of flying and I cannot seem to get over it. I have gotten zanax from my doctor to take before we fly out but the fear keeps building up as the trip gets closer. Anyone who has any advice would be greatly appreciated. We fly out on Sept 21 and fly back Oct 1. It will be my husband and I and our 3 kids, 12, 6, 2. I do not want to look scared in front of the kids like I did last year. My oldest said it looked like I wanted to jump out of the plane during take off. We are flying Spirit and sitting by the wing. You can tell I am nervous look at the post I am rambling!! Thanks :hammer:

Erika

Hi I am going to WDW in 22 days. Now I have gone many times before but this will be my 2nd time flying. For some reason I have this fear of flying and I cannot seem to get over it. I have gotten zanax from my doctor to take before we fly out but the fear keeps building up as the trip gets closer. Anyone who has any advice would be greatly appreciated. We fly out on Sept 21 and fly back Oct 1. It will be my husband and I and our 3 kids, 12, 6, 2. I do not want to look scared in front of the kids like I did last year. My oldest said it looked like I wanted to jump out of the plane during take off. We are flying Spirit and sitting by the wing. You can tell I am nervous look at the post I am rambling!! Thanks :hammer:

Do you know anybody in the industry? Sometimes it helps to talk to them. When I was working we had quite a few patients who were pilots/flight attendants and I always figured they had to feel pretty darn safe in order to do that every day. A couple of the pilots were close to retirement and had flown for decades.

I always figure I am in more danger driving to the airport than I am on the plane. When a plane crashes, it is international news. It's so rare!!! People die in their cars every day and nobody hears about it unless it causes a traffic inconvenience.

Upvote 0

Tigger1988

Just remember its a pretty short flight, 2 hours. Spirit is a great airline, we always fly with them. Take the zanax, try not to think too much and sike yourself out. Just relaxing and staying calm is the most important thing. Hope I could be of some help, have a great trip :wave:

Upvote 0

SteveUK

I could tell you all the info and statistics about how safe flying is, and how you are far more likely to have an accident on the way to the airport, but I'm sure you are intelligent enough to know all this anyway. The problem is with fears like this is that they are irrational. If they were rational, then just a quick look at the facts would dispell the fear, but it seems this is not the case.

You say you already have some drugs for the flight? Have you tried some sort of drugs or herbal remedy for the stress leading up to the trip? Maybe just something to help out a bit when you are thinking about flying and becoming stressed?

I know a lot of people who have been helped by relaxation techniques and hypnosis. It is possible now to find websites where you can download 'self-help' relaxation and mini hypnosis sessions that seem to help a lot. I'm not sure if I am allowed to post links, but just search google for 'fear of flying hypnosis download'

Hope this is of some help, but I know how annoying it can be when you can see your fear is completely irrational, but still somehow it won't go away. The great thought of why you are flying always helps me - just knowing that you are getting closer to WDW all the time seems to cheer me up.

Upvote 0

MouseearsDeb

I've never really had a 'fear' of flying but I can understand how/why one would. Since you've already spoke with your docter, maybe explain to him/her what's going on and they can recommend something. I've seen posts on here before about things to try, you might do a search, if you haven't already. Hope this helps a little. Best of luck and have a wonderful trip!

Upvote 0

AEfx

Just look at the statistics. You are much more likely to die driving from your home to the store to get a bottle of milk than you are to suffer any problem in the air.

Feel better? :)

AEfx

Upvote 0

wdwishes2005

Think about it this way. just as an example. Comair has appx 1000 flights a day. They have been operating since the late 80s They have only crashed twice, meaning that there is a 1 in 3,500,000 chance of being in a crash on that airline. Just keep in mind the statistics and convince yourself that everything will be ok.

Upvote 0

wdwhoneymooner

My best friend's mother is absolutely terrified of flying. She's tried drugs, pressure point therapy, breathing techniques and nothing seemed to help except one (to a point, she says): Think real hard.......how often do you hear about accidents involving jet planes heading to/from Florida? I can only think of one: ValueJet (now AirTran?) waaaaaaaay back in the mid-90's. You'll be just fine. :wave:

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Your flight should only be a couple of hours, assuming you have a direct flight. Bring something with you to keep your mind occupied - crosswords, sodukos, or whatever. I have difficulty reading on a plane - not sure why, but puzzles help me. Music is helpful too, but you'll have to wait til you take off to have it on. You might want to play a game with your kids too - 20 questions, Disney trivia, Uno, or something like that.
Have a wonderful trip!

Upvote 0

LuvMyMagic

My DH has a fear of flying also. We're flying to Disney in Dec and he is really anxious about it. I bought him a PSP so he can play his precious Madden the whole flight. I would suggest bringing something that will keep you occupied like music or crosswords(that's what I do). Just remember, the flight is short. Don't let the anxiety of the flight take away from the fabulous time you and your family will have. Have a great trip:wave:

Upvote 0
I'm not really afraid of flying unless there is a lot of turbulence. On all my flights I either take my Ipod or portable CD player...if I play the right music I usually sleep most of the journey. Try the relaxation and meditation and something to keep your mind off of things during the flight.

Upvote 0

DisneyMarg

I think in most cases like yours, a fear of flying is largely a fear of the unknown because you just haven't done it very often. Think of other things that were very scary after just one or two goes. My daughter is learning to drive and is still afraid behind the wheel. It's really quite normal to be afraid of something so unusual - especially with all the strange sounds and sensations involved.

I was really afraid of flying - even after a dozen flights or so. And then I found my dream job - except for the part that I would have to fly every week. I took it anyway, and one unexpected benefit is that I am no longer afraid to fly. In fact, I often fall asleep just before takeoff!!

So I wouldn't really call your fear irrational. If you had flown 50 times, it might be irrational. I'd say don't be too hard on yourself. If your kids make fun of you, just tell them they can be thankful you are giving them the opportunity to fly often, so that they won't have to be afraid as adults!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom