Flying into Tampa with very short layover in Charlotte, NC

Bpmorley

Has anyone flown into Tampa International Airport (TPA)? I can save about $300 flying into that airport. Is it worth it to fly into there vs MCO? Just to note, we will be spending the first part of the trip at WDW and the last three days in Clearwater Beach so it will be closer to us when we leave Florida. How busy or confusing is TPA?

We're also going tro have a SUPER short layover in Charlotte, NC and I am worried about getting from gate to gate in that time.
We've done it a few times. No problem. I would suggest going back to the Tampa area the day before your flight home. I've been stuck on I4 a few times, once a 6 hour stand still. Unless you return home thru MCO.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Okay, new question...

I just prepaid and reserved a rental car through Priceline with Avis rent a car. I know that when my tram gets to the terminal at Tampa I go downstairs and out the doors and across the street to the car rental counters. Can someone tell me if Avis chooses my vehicle for me or will they allow me to go to a row of vehicles and choose the one I want (after I've done all of the paperwork at the counter of course)?

bpiper

I know that when my tram gets to the terminal at Tampa I go downstairs and out the doors and across the street to the car rental counters.
Remember, it's MCO that the rental cars are across the street in the garage. TPA has the cars in the off site garage accessed by shuttle train.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Remember, it's MCO that the rental cars are across the street in the garage. TPA has the cars in the off site garage accessed by shuttle train.

That is what people keep saying but I am seeing video after video showing a "walking tour" on how to get to the rental cars and it shows people going outside one set of doors and into another building for the rental cars. I know it is not MCO. I have been there tons of times and I could paint that scene on canvas blindfolded.

4:00 minute mark

bpiper

That is what people keep saying but I am seeing video after video showing a "walking tour" on how to get to the rental cars and it shows people going outside one set of doors and into another building for the rental cars. I know it is not MCO. I have been there tons of times and I could paint that scene on canvas blindfolded.

4:00 minute mark

That video is from 2013. The SkyConnect train opened in Feb 2018.

1643146135204.png

1643146210019.png

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Yes. Not a bus. A train just like you take from the main terminal to the airside gates.
Nicole Scherzinger Television GIF

To me that is technically still "on-site". I just hate having to get on a shuttle, wait for it to leave, and drive really far out to get to the rental car agency. :)

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Now if I could somehow convince AVIS to allow me to skip the counter even though I booked the car rental through Priceline. LOL

JoeCamel

Now if I could somehow convince AVIS to allow me to skip the counter even though I booked the car rental through Priceline. LOL
The shuttle train to the new car rental center is very low wait and not too far from your gate. Tampa is the best operating airport i have used. Great if you are picking up people as you park on top of terminal and baggage so an elevator to your car. They just spent 2B on the rental center, train and terminal renovations. Its easy

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom