Flying into Tampa with very short layover in Charlotte, NC

G00fyDad

Original Poster
With the plane departing by row with first class departing first and a full flight, I would not want to be sitting in the back of the plane to exit. That 30 min connection is really cutting it close , good luck to the ones trying to catch their connection .

We are flying first class.

I am editing this post because I just realized how snooty and snotty that sounded for me to say that "I'm flying first class" (well la dee da!). I need everyone to be aware that this will quite literally be the first first class flight that I've ever been on in my life and there's a very specific reason why we're taking first class. I am 6'4 and my knees have always dug into the seat in front of me in coach. Having had knee surgery last year my knee is still incredibly sore and it hurts if I bang it against something. I could not imagine the pain I would be in if the person in front of me in coach (with my knee pressed into the seat behind them) were to recline that seat and crush my knee. It makes me weak in the knees and sick to my stomach to even think about it. 🤮🤢 That's why we're flying first class. Because of the first class ticket cost I'm looking to save in other areas.

Last edited:

Lilofan

It is not a continuing flight. It is an Embraer aircraft to Charlotte and an Airbus to Tampa.
I usually fly non stop but if the plane arrives late, will the connection plane wait for the late arrivals to board and thereby leaving late or are the ones connecting going to miss their connection? I guess it is a decision to be made by the pilots?

G00fyDad

Original Poster
I usually fly non stop but if the plane arrives late, will the connection plane wait for the late arrivals to board and thereby leaving late or are the ones connecting going to miss their connection? I guess it is a decision to be made by the pilots?
I'm hoping it will be a really close connecting gate and that if we do arrive a little late that the next pilot may hang around for a few minutes before taking off. 🤞

Our layovers are usually an hour to an hour and a half long and this is the shortest one we've ever had to deal with.

I'm also a little concerned about landing in an airport I've never landed at before. How confusing is the Tampa International Airport? How easy is it to find the rental car counters? I'm renting through Enterprise Rent-A-Car and I have completed all the steps necessary to reduce my weight at the counter but I will still have to go to the counter so do they have kiosks? How much time on average will it take to get from the arriving gate to the rental car and drive out of the parking lot? These are all things I know very well with Orlando International Airport because that's the airport we've always flown into.

Lilofan

I'm hoping it will be a really close connecting gate and that if we do arrive a little late that the next pilot may hang around for a few minutes before taking off. 🤞

Our layovers are usually an hour to an hour and a half long and this is the shortest one we've ever had to deal with.

I'm also a little concerned about landing in an airport I've never landed at before. How confusing is the Tampa International Airport? How easy is it to find the rental car counters? I'm renting through Enterprise Rent-A-Car and I have completed all the steps necessary to reduce my weight at the counter but I will still have to go to the counter so do they have kiosks? How much time on average will it take to get from the arriving gate to the rental car and drive out of the parking lot? These are all things I know very well with Orlando International Airport because that's the airport we've always flown into.
Sorry , I just picked up family at Tampa, don't know much about the set up, but you are right. Orlando MCO has the easiest process of getting a rental. Going to first floor where all the car rental counters are at, then walking across the street to the parking garage where all the rental cars are parked, literally a 1 min walk to get to the garage.

bpiper

Then I think you should take my previous advice:

You can look at the airports website and see what gates the inbound flight and outbound flight currently park at, to get a sense of the distance, but it might change down the road.
Also, you can take a look at landing times on the inbound flight and see if it routinely lands very early from the scheduled flight arrival. The airline might be heavily padding it so that you have more time than you think.

I am amazed that they are offering such a tight connection at a hub....

Here's a tip/thought. Do they offer direct flights on AA to Orlando from your city but you picked the connection flight due to cost? (I have done that when the directs are too high)
This far out, there is a high likely hood that AA will change your flight times or move you to a different flight.
If they do, you can try calling up and seeing if they will put you on the direct flight for no charge. Tell them the new times/flight don't work with your travel plans.

AA's policy is:
If your departure time changes by 60 minutes or more, or if your itinerary changes from a direct flight to a connecting flight, or if there’s an equipment change, you can change your ticket for no charge.

If the change is 90 minutes or less, you can only switch to a flight in the same fare bucket as your original ticket on the same day, but you can change your connection if you want. For changes that are more than 90 minutes — or if you had a nonstop and American added a stop — you can change to any flight regardless of whether there’s space in the original fare bucket. You can even switch to a partner flight.

No matter what the amount of time change is, I would still call and see if they will change your tickets for no charge..... Unless the flight you want to change to is almost sold out, I would bet they would change you to it for no charge....

Tampa's airport terminal isn't too bad. It will remind you of MCO. Like sisters.
It a compact square shape. You take a shuttle train like at MCO to the main terminal. The overhead signs are good. Go down to baggage claim on the lowest level.

The shuttle trains dump you on level 3, which is like a giant lobby with shops and food.
The airline counters are on level 2.
Baggage claim is on level 1.

Go here to see terminal maps: https://www.tampaairport.com/maps

The rental cars use to be across the roadway in the parking garage like Orlando, but they have since built a dedicated rental car garage offsite.
After you get your luggage, you have to go to the end of baggage claim, not as long as MCO's, and take an escalator/elevator up to the shuttle train.
They have a shuttle train that takes you to the offsite car rental garage/counters along with the long term parking garage.
I haven't flown in yet now that its in operation though. I would figure 10-15 minutes of extra time to get out to the garage.

A big question is what time do you land? You don't want to be going through downtown Tampa on I-275 and I-4 during rush hour. The airport is right next to the downtown area, not like MCO out in the boonies.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Here's a tip/thought. Do they offer direct flights on AA to Orlando from your city but you picked the connection flight due to cost?
I wish there was a direct flight. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, there are only connection flights.
The rental cars use to be across the roadway in the parking garage like Orlando, but they have since built a dedicated rental car garage offsite.
After you get your luggage, you have to go to the end of baggage claim, not as long as MCO's, and take an escalator/elevator up to the shuttle train.
They have a shuttle train that takes you to the offsite car rental garage/counters along with the long term parking garage.
Now that's good information to have. I had no idea the rental cars were all parked off site. I'm glad I know about that now instead of once I get to the airport. 😁

A big question is what time do you land? You don't want to be going through downtown Tampa on I-275 and I-4 during rush hour. The airport is right next to the downtown area, not like MCO out in the boonies.
I'm shooting for as early as possible to land at the airport. Right now the flight that I'm looking at is due to land at 8:50 a.m.

Lilofan

I wish there was a direct flight. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, there are only connection flights.

Now that's good information to have. I had no idea the rental cars were all parked off site. I'm glad I know about that now instead of once I get to the airport. 😁

I'm shooting for as early as possible to land at the airport. Right now the flight that I'm looking at is due to land at 8:50 a.m.
Good luck to you. I've taken shuttles in airports to get to rental locations off site. It is not fun since the van comes every 25-30 min to pick up drop off passengers. Leaving Tampa Int'l during morning or evening rush hour is congested and hectic.

Last edited:

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Is the only way to get from Tampa to Disney via rent a car? Or is there a shuttle service that works? I have two kids in car seats. I had never thought of flying into Tampa until I saw your thread and just doing some quick research it may work out better for us as well. (looking to travel end of July from Philly)

Lilofan

Is the only way to get from Tampa to Disney via rent a car? Or is there a shuttle service that works? I have two kids in car seats. I had never thought of flying into Tampa until I saw your thread and just doing some quick research it may work out better for us as well. (looking to travel end of July from Philly)
If you look up Uber rates, a ride from Tampa Int'l to WDW one way is less than $100. A shuttle service can run you around $300 one way.

Last edited:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Renting a car or Uber/Lyft. Also, a one-way rental between TPA and the Car Care Center wouldn't be horribly priced.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Renting a car or Uber/Lyft. Also, a one-way rental between TPA and the Car Care Center wouldn't be horribly priced.
If you look up Uber rates, a ride from Tampa Int'l to WDW one way is less than $100. A shuttle service can run you around $300 one way.

Thanks. I will look at Uber/Lyft. I think the wife would be happier renting a car for the few hours (not a fan of the ride share thing) but I am having a hard time finding one to rent for the few hours from the airport to the hotel and vice versa. Seems like they renal car centers don't want me to drop the car off at a different location than where I picked it up from.

tl77

We flew into to Tampa once because the airfare was better, and the drive to WDW isn't that bad, but with Orlando Intentional being closer it's just is easier and quicker... now that's there no Magical Express it's kind of going to be a hassle though and rental car prices are crazy at Orlando Intentional now too

Lilofan

We flew into to Tampa once because the airfare was better, and the drive to WDW isn't that bad, but with Orlando Intentional being closer it's just is easier and quicker... now that's there no Magical Express it's kind of going to be a hassle though and rental car prices are crazy at Orlando Intentional now too
No doubt flying into Orlando MCO is the way to go. One surprising thing I saw when I left on a 6 am flight leaving Orlando is when I got to the airport at 4am, I saw hundreds of travelers fast asleep on the many couches spread throughout the main terminal by the shopping areas. Instead of spending a night at a hotel , looking like many used the airport facilities to bunk for the night.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
I don't have to worry about rental car prices. I already have a rental car booked and locked in at just over $600 for 8 days with a minivan with Enterprise. However, that is out of MCO. I have another rental reserved and locked in at just over $700 for a premium SUV out of Tampa. Neither of those prices are anything for me to worry about right now. Most people are renting the same vehicles around the same time for $1,300. Don't ask me how I got that price. I have absolutely no clue whatsoever. Maybe it's the day I am picking it up and dropping it off, maybe it's the day of the week that I booked it, etc. I have no idea how I got a rental car almost half off.

My biggest concern is that 30-35 minute layover in Charlotte, NC. I don't know how to find this information out but people keep telling me to check the statistics on the flight from Louisville Kentucky to Tampa International to see it's "on time" rate. I have no idea how to check that. It's probably something pretty simple but I just can't figure it out.

Lilofan

I don't have to worry about rental car prices. I already have a rental car booked and locked in at just over $600 for 8 days with a minivan with Enterprise. However, that is out of MCO. I have another rental reserved and locked in at just over $700 for a premium SUV out of Tampa. Neither of those prices are anything for me to worry about right now. Most people are renting the same vehicles around the same time for $1,300. Don't ask me how I got that price. I have absolutely no clue whatsoever. Maybe it's the day I am picking it up and dropping it off, maybe it's the day of the week that I booked it, etc. I have no idea how I got a rental car almost half off.

My biggest concern is that 30-35 minute layover in Charlotte, NC. I don't know how to find this information out but people keep telling me to check the statistics on the flight from Louisville Kentucky to Tampa International to see it's "on time" rate. I have no idea how to check that. It's probably something pretty simple but I just can't figure it out.
Try
FlightStats.com
FlightAware.com

RoadiJeff

You can get a full size rental car for less than $260 per week at MCO through Priceline.

screenshot-2022-01-15-at-23-44-31-priceline-checkout-mco-1-22-1-29-png.614238

sandieb1

Has anyone flown into Tampa International Airport (TPA)? I can save about $300 flying into that airport. Is it worth it to fly into there vs MCO? Just to note, we will be spending the first part of the trip at WDW and the last three days in Clearwater Beach so it will be closer to us when we leave Florida. How busy or confusing is TPA?

sandieb1

Has anyone flown into Tampa International Airport (TPA)? I can save about $300 flying into that airport. Is it worth it to fly into there vs MCO? Just to note, we will be spending the first part of the trip at WDW and the last three days in Clearwater Beach so it will be closer to us when we leave Florida. How busy or confusing is TPA?
We have several times for the same reason you have. It was easy. I wouldn't hesitate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom