Flying Fish Cafe

rufio

Original Poster
I had never really heard a whole lot about this place, but over the last week I've seen a few people here mention it, and I just read a really good review on disneyfoodblog.com.

What's the consensus? To have dinner there, I'll have to trade in a CP dinner (which I haven't heard many great things about) and a Boma breakfast (which my fiance doesn't really care either way about). Worth it?

shipley731

IF you like seafood, yes the trade is completely worth it. This is one of my husband & I's favorite places to eat at WDW. Food is always outstanding & the service is great too. The mussells on the appetizer section are fantastic as is the potato wrapped snapper. Both are always on the menu. The seasonal offerings they have are always good too. We ate there just last month.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I found the food good - not great, the service abysmal and the ambience loud and crowded. **Shrug**

Others swear by the place.

wiigirl

I found the food good - not great, the service abysmal and the ambience loud and crowded. **Shrug**

Others swear by the place.
75.gif

Coming from the midwest, I found the food awesome....but ks is pretty land-locked. :p

disney magic 06

We considered going but didn't as one member of our party didn't like fish (they were going for the sake of the rest of us) and the smell near the doorway is VERY strong. I know this is to be expected in a fish restaurant but all members of the party need to be 'fishy'!!

Sounds good from what others say but I don't think I'd do the trade.

rufio

Original Poster
Never eaten there, but I'd think twice about giving up breakfast at Boma. I know that's great!:D

Yeah, I would really like the Boma breakfast, but my fiance isn't much of a breakfast person and said he would rather have an awesome dinner than TS breakfast.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Good to hear the other side of the story. ;)
In defence of the restaurant, my experience had the two of us seated right between the entrance and exit from the kitchen and the swamping area was just on the other side of a wall beside us. Conversation with my soft-spoken son was entirely impossible [he had to repeat his order three times to the waiter and finally pointed at what he wanted in the menu]. The server we had took our drink order, brought the drinks and took our food order. We did not see him again. Flagging down other staff to request refills, sides that weren't delivered and finally to request a desdsert menu and then order from it. Waited ten minutes after we were done and couldn't flag anyone down to get our bill. Finally caught someone's eye and asked to speak to a manager. The manager explained that our server had caught a table of 9 that were "high maintenance" and had literally been run off his feet by them, he apologised and went and got our bill for me. No comp of anything on the bill [I didn't and wouldn't ask] and walked off. I had to flag down yet another staffer to actually process my room charge.

If it were just the bad service, I would have returned to give them another try, but that combined with the amount of noise where we were seated left me with no interest in bothering with them again.

NYwdwfan

We loved the food but we absolutely loved the location. We had a 7:00-ish reservation so we were able to eat our meal, walk around the Boardwalk a bit, grab an ice cream cone at Seashore Sweets (I may have the name wrong) and walk over to EPCOT for Illuminations. It was a fun night for my family but could be quite a romantic night for newlyweds.

MattyFresh

Ate there last October, I would trade CP and breakfast for this in a heartbeat! The food was very good, our server was good, but as some have said it tended to be a bit noisy. Plus, I am not real crazy about the decor on the inside. Granted, that doesn't take alot away from the experience, but I just found it a bit odd for a nicer restaurant. I would go back, the noise wasn't that much of a deterence to me. The deserts were a bit off for me, they were ok, but there were elements that were just odd and didn't work well. But that would be the only issue food wise.

If you aren't in the mood for seafood, they do have a pretty awesome steak! So there are other options besides seafood.

PhilharMagician

Yeah, I would really like the Boma breakfast, but my fiance isn't much of a breakfast person and said he would rather have an awesome dinner than TS breakfast.
Then try Jiko, California Grill or Yachtsman Steakhouse for a great signature dining experience. Each one is completely differant and you should be able to agree on one.

Sweet Melissa

I like the food at the Flying Fish even more than Bluezoo. The mussels appetizer has occupied my daydreams many a time. The restaurant is on the louder, more casual side for a signature. The open kitchen and metal accents make for some noisy acoustics. People look like they just stepped off the golf course for the most part. I was really impressed with our service the last time we were there even though we were given a terrible table.

Clamman73

I was there almost two years ago and thought it was good. (it would be a repeat) Was there at the beginning of dinner service, so it was still quiet, but can see it a little noisy later on during dinner since the kitchen is open - it's cool seeing the grill flame up once in a while though. It's also nice to walk on the boardwalk afterwards and/or head over to Epcot.

The menu has great seafood choices, but the NY strip is good too.

GoochDSA

Flying Fish is tied for our top spot when it comes to Signatures (tied with Citricos, but not including V&A's, Shula's or bluezoo). We have always had great food and service. The Carmelized Banana Napoleon may be the best dessert on property. We actually ate here twice on our last trip, once off the regular menu and once with the Chef's Wine Tasting Dinner, which was awesome.

If you are looking to use 2 TS credits on a Signature meal (which personally I don't see much value in doing) might I suggest dropping your CP dinner (it has become a downright awful dining experience in our opinion) and paying for Boma OOP since breakfast is not too expensive (a TS credit on the DDP costs more than the breakfast does).

rufio

Original Poster
Flying Fish was already being discussed and I put out some other options for the OP to think about. Now, I love seafood and I personally can say that Flying Fish is not near the top of my list.

Oh, okay. :) I think we'll try Flying Fish and hopefully we won't be disappointed! We're going to be at Epcot so the location is perfect!

PhilharMagician

Oh, okay. :) I think we'll try Flying Fish and hopefully we won't be disappointed! We're going to be at Epcot so the location is perfect!
Then I will throw you one of my favorites if you're interested. Bistro De Paris which is located above Chefs De France. It is a signature restuarant that I would consider a hidden gem. I love sitting by the windows looking out at all of the unexpecting people walking by. I have always had great food and great service. Since the DDP has landed at the Bistro a few years ago the restaurant has gotten busier and now you find guests in there wearing sleeveless shirts and baseball caps. Not that I am against theme park attire, but at a signature restaurant guests are supposed to wear business casual clothing. It was a very romantic place that my wife and I would visit by ourselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom