Flying AirTran? Thoughts?

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
Hello All!

It has been three years since I've flown to Orlando and I have been scouring the internet looking for cheaper airfares. My first choice has been JetBlue but the day we arrive is more pricey than I anticipated.

I recently came across a deal on fly.com that uses AirTran, an airline I have never flown before. For those of you who have flown them before, what did you think? I'm looking to do a nonstop, and have read about cancellations and transfers to Atlanta. This is really my only concern. I am willing to pay a little more for the seat assignments and we won't have to worry about checked bags since we're only bringing carry-ons.

Any advice is welcome! :D

Magical Dreamer

We've flown AirTran from Rochester NY to Orlando our last 2 trips.....always been good flights for us....

Booked for this November at $62 each way awhile back :animwink:, but they do have a $15 fee for your 1st bag.

tigsmom

We flew from Newburgh, NY to Orlando, Bradenton (stopover in Atlanta) and Tampa many times with NO problems on AirTran and then they left our little airport. My daughter would fly back and forth to Tampa (direct) a few times a year (for school) on AirTran from Westchester Cty and never had a problem either (other than it's a terrible airport). I wouldn't hesitate to fly them again.

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
Awesome! Thanks for the quick responses!

I'm mainly looking to save some cash since it's only a weekend trip to WDW. There's about a $200 difference in favor of Airtran over JetBlue as it stands...and I really don't want to wait to much longer since our trip is early October.

disney4life2008

AirTran is Wonderful!! However, it is the "cheapest" airline - even below Southwest. So do not expect luxury. However, I have flown AirTran more times than I can count and they are always ontime, professional and inexpensive!!

Testtrack321

I'm a poor college student. I fly AirTran. Lets put it that way. Never had any complaints nor any praise beyond the value.

I flew Continental and Delta my last trip, the TVs and other amenities on flight made AirTran look as cheap as it really is. You're not paying McDonalds for high quality, you're paying McDonalds. I'd say if JetBlue isn't that much more expensive stay with JetBlue.

SAV

I have flown them multiple times and it has always been on-time and not a complaint. Flight attendants have been very nice. Like others have said, you are paying value prices, so set your expectations accordingly.

Rob562

The one time I was going to fly Airtran, I'd booked and then a month later they changed me from a non-stop mid-morning flight from Boston to Orlando that got me in around noon to a mid-morning departure with a connnection in Atlanta getting me into Orlando well into the afternoon. The only remaining non-stop was first thing in the morning, at a time when I wouldn't be able to get to the airport using commuter train and subway. So, they cancelled and refunded me with no hassle.

A friend flew Airtran on the same trip (from DC, though) and he said it was defintiely a no-frills flight expereince.

Personally, I think I'll stick to Jetblue and Southwest.

A few things to think about with Airtran:
Depending on the model of the plane, you may have less legroom than pretty much any other airline. Their seat pitch is 31" on the 737 (30" on a 717).
Compare that to Southwest's 32"-33"and Jetblue's 34" (you can pay more for "Even More Legroom" on Jetblue and get 38") Although Airtran's seats are slightly wider than both Southwest and Jetblue.
[note: this info is coming from seatguru.com]

Also, you need to factor in the luggage prices. One AirTran your first bag will be $15. If you're two people with a checked bag each, that adds $60 to your trip price.
Jetblue you get one free checked bag, Southwest you get two.

-Rob

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
The one time I was going to fly Airtran, I'd booked and then a month later they changed me from a non-stop mid-morning flight from Boston to Orlando that got me in around noon to a mid-morning departure with a connection in Atlanta getting me into Orlando well into the afternoon. The only remaining non-stop was first thing in the morning, at a time when I wouldn't be able to get to the airport using commuter train and subway. So, they cancelled and refunded me with no hassle.

Funny enough, for me this is my biggest concern. I definitely prefer non-stops and always try to fly them when I can, but I am a seasoned traveler so I know that things can happen. I've also been checking out USAirways as well because the rates ended up being close (at least through fly.com/travelocity.com)

The responses have still been very helpful though! Keep 'em coming! :D

3CaballeroLady

Beware, starting September 1, their baggage fees go up to $20. $40 round trip per person!!

Are you serious? That is such as shame!!! I have had nothing but stellar experience with AirTran and I planned on flying with them for my next trip. What a drag. :(

However, onto a more positive note. While AirTran is still the cheapest airline, I found them to be very comfortable and courteous. The flights are always smooth and the XM Radio is a big, big plus. In short, I highly recommend them -- despite the extra $20 fee for baggage. Yikes!

Oh well...airlines are trying to make money in any way they possibly can, I suppose. :/

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
Well, I'm still checking airfares and I plan to book by Friday. I really appreciate the comments about AirTran. The good thing is DH and I don't need to worry about checking any bags, only carry-on's for us.

I'm getting very excited for this trip and once I book the airfare I know it's a reality (strange, I know.) We're also using Magical Express for the first time and that's got me geared up as well. :D

Thanks again! :wave:

yensid67

Hello All!

It has been three years since I've flown to Orlando and I have been scouring the internet looking for cheaper airfares. My first choice has been JetBlue but the day we arrive is more pricey than I anticipated.

I recently came across a deal on fly.com that uses AirTran, an airline I have never flown before. For those of you who have flown them before, what did you think? I'm looking to do a nonstop, and have read about cancellations and transfers to Atlanta. This is really my only concern. I am willing to pay a little more for the seat assignments and we won't have to worry about checked bags since we're only bringing carry-ons.

Any advice is welcome! :D

Hey Diddy Mouse:

Here is my cents worth on the subject. I have been planning my December 2012 trip and have been looking at Air Tran as well. As of 8/16/2010, the bagagge fee are $20 for the first bag and $25 for the second., the seat assignments are $6-$20, depending on where you want to sit! I have made my mind up that for a 2 hour non stop flight from BWI I am only paying for $6 seats! It doesn't give you time to be uncomfortable, so why pay for a better seat at $13 or $20!?
You can find non-stop flights for Air Tran on their site or try searching on other sites(travelocity, expedia, orbitz) if you cannot find your preferred times, they usually have them! Also, they do have drink and snacks onboard for a cost of $6 each? But like I said, its only 2 hour flight if you can hold out on a drink!:)

Hope you have a Magical Weekend!

Will
:wave: from PA!

shadsdad

In January we booked a direct flight from Pittsburgh to Tampa for a july trip on Airtran. They cancelled our direct flight and booked us on connecting flights thru Alanta. They then changed our flight times over 5 times before we traveled. It seemed like we got an e mail every two weeks changing the times. Once we did travel we had no problems with the flights or the airline.

ErickainPA

just got back from my trip using AirTran and it was a really pleasant flight. Getting to Orlando we were 30 mins early, and they said it was a full flight that if you had a carry-on if you would like to check it there was no fee. I decided to check mine. Coming home the flight was again full and actually oversold they said, they were offering a round-trip ticket to anywhere.

On the way out of Philly we got 2 packs of biscotti cookies and your beverage (they came the 1st time and then the 2nd pass they refilled your cup for you) on the way from Orlando we had the same beverage service and got a bag of "gourmet pretzels" (the bag actually said it but I thought the thing was cute, as I am one to read packages like that) We arrived in Philly right on time, as we were hitting a rain storm in Philly.

yensid67

On the way out of Philly we got 2 packs of biscotti cookies and your beverage (they came the 1st time and then the 2nd pass they refilled your cup for you) on the way from Orlando we had the same beverage service and got a bag of "gourmet pretzels" (the bag actually said it but I thought the thing was cute, as I am one to read packages like that) We arrived in Philly right on time, as we were hitting a rain storm in Philly.

Erica:

Just as a reference , how much were your soda 1st and 2nd time? Was it a FREE refill or did you have to pay for it!? What wat the price of your snacks each? I have only found GENERAL prices for drinks and snacks. I am glad you had a great flight, now it puts me at ease a little bit more using Air Tran for the first time!

Will
:wave: from Chambersburg, PA!

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
Thanks for the review, Erika!

I actually ended up booking our flight to MCO on jetBlue (got a pretty good deal, $285 for both DH and I) but I'm waiting to see if the flight back to IAD goes down. I saw an AirTran flight for $118 per person but the time is a little early for us...it's definitely a back-up plan if our jetBlue flight is still to pricey.

disney4life2008

As a man of size (5'7, 350lbs), I give AirTran my full support. As a poster above mentioned, while the leg room is not enough, the seats are wider than most airlines. Further (it really could take 2 seats for me, but I can squeeze into one). AirTran never makes a fuss when I ask for a Seat belt extension and are very accomodating. I recently flew American, and when I asked for a extension, they looked at me like I was crazy. And while southwest airlines has free baggage - I do not want to get embaressed by their employees. They are known for the physical screening of passengers and making them purchase 2 seats.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom