Trip Report Florida Fresh Spring March 2018

Hello all and welcome to my trip report! I've been back for about a week but I've been slow to upload pictures and I actually caught a pretty nasty cold that has had me down the last couple of days.

So here's the intro:

Who: Me (Amy) and my husband (Brad)
Where are we from?: Northern Wisconsin (So were were definitely in need of some Florida sun.)
When: March 10-17, 2018
Resort: All Star Sports (we stay value because it is the cheapest and we can use that extra $$ for good food and drinks)

Start of the journey:

We actually started our trip on Friday March 9 and drove up to Minneapolis and stayed at a hotel near the airport. Our flight was leaving early in the morning and we didn't want to have drive early in the morning to the airport. So we relaxed at the Hilton by the airport and had a nice dinner at the Mall of America. We did have a crazy experience at the pool area here...we were just getting into the pool and we saw a pre-teen girl get out of the hot tub and was walking quickly (not running) towards the pool and she slipped and her head banged like a basketball on the pool area floor. It was pretty horrifying. I was about to get out of the pool and go help her but her parents were there and helped her and got medical help. So that put a little bit of a damper on what turned out to be our only pool time of the trip but I'm sure the girl had a worse time of it then we did.

Me with my first beer of the trip at the Mall of America. It was a Surly Furious, a local brew.
IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

Relaxing at the Hilton with a drink. A fancy rum and Coke for hubs and a Grain Belt (another Minnesota beer) for me. This was at about 7:30-8pm and we were basically falling asleep.
IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG

At the airport bright and early for our flight! The Caribou coffee place wasn't open yet, but I like their coffee so much better than Dunkin', Starbucks, or even McDonald's so I waited about 15 minutes for it to open before heading to the gate.
IMG_0954.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

All aboard! We splurge a little bit and always get the big front seat when we fly with Spirit, it is almost like first class but without the booze and the meal.
IMG_1335.JPG

Bye bye!
IMG_1341.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
So what is for lunch?

I got the Tastes Like Chicken Because it is. This is incredibly good, the chicken itself has a nice crispy breading but it is really the spicy chili sauce that makes it for me. The waitress warned me about the sauce and asked if it would be okay because it is spicy and I surprised her by asking her for additional sauce on the side! The flavored rice that comes with it is very tasty too. This dish would be so easy to screw up but I've had it twice now and both times it was fantastic!
IMG_5802.JPG

Hubs got the pork. It was good too and he enjoyed it.
IMG_5804.JPG

After dinner we perused the library selections. The titles are so fun!
IMG_1916.JPG

Normally we get the Kungaloosh for dessert at Skipper Canteen but something else was calling me. If you've noticed the shirt I was wearing then you might have a guess.

Yep time for a Citrus Swirl.
IMG_5805.JPG

Before we left for WDW, the news broke that the Citrus Swirl with it's orange juice glory was gone and replaced with some other orange concoction. I braced myself, but was willing to try this new monstrosity. Luckily while we were there Disney saw the light and brought back the real swirl. But that new thing was on the menu too.
IMG_5806.JPG

We almost had a disaster while ordering. I told Brad I wanted a regular Citrus Swirl and not any of the icky float stuff. He said okay and I thought about going to find a spot to sit but decided to wait with him. And sometimes I tune him out when he orders for us, but this time I was listening. He ordered 2 citrus swirl floats! Oh no icky! I quickly jumped in with "NO, no no, no, no, just citrus swirls. NOT floats!" I think I scared both the cast member and my husband with my ferocity. But seriously, don't mess with my Swirl! And no Brad didn't secretly want a float, he actually told me later he really just wanted the vanilla ice cream but felt he should get a swirl because I did. Really Brad, just get the vanilla if you want it!

And so it arrived, and it was GLORIOUS! Look at it, just perfect! No wonder it has it's own mascot.
IMG_1920.JPG

IMG_1922.JPG

Now my day had been made....back row of Big Thunder, a train ride, sunrise at MK, chicken, and an citrus swirl. Life is great!

We slowly walked down Main Street in hopes of seeing the Dapper Dans but no such luck. We were starting to resign ourselves to not seeing them this trip. But we did see balloons!
IMG_5807.JPG

And soon we were back at the Sports for a mid-day nap.
IMG_1924.JPG

IMG_1925.JPG

Coming up: an evening at Epcot with a fun run-in!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I like the photo of you with your Orange Bird shirt, and holding a citrus swirl. :) My favorite photo from your recent post is the one with the man holding the balloons--cheery picture of a sunny day and colorful balloons! :happy:

Thanks. I like the balloon picture too. Sometimes I feel a bit like a creeper taking a picture of the balloon vendors but I like how the pictures usually turn out.

LeighM

So that's what MK looks like at 8am opening LOL! I had plans to go to MK that Friday morning but had to change that once R got sick. Good decision since it got so hot later in the day. The couple hours extra sleep helped him I think.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Loved your early morning MK pictures, so special! Looks like you had a great last day,, so far!

It was pretty good last full day. I like the early morning pictures, being there at sunrise was pretty cool.

So that's what MK looks like at 8am opening LOL! I had plans to go to MK that Friday morning but had to change that once R got sick. Good decision since it got so hot later in the day. The couple hours extra sleep helped him I think.

Yep, that's what it can look like! :cool: Probably a good idea to let R sleep. We are early birds so if we sleep in we feel like we have wasted the day, however a nap in the middle of day seems normal to us.

93boomer

Premium Member
I'm glad I made you giggle a little. I hope you didn't get into trouble.

We got into our HEA spot about 80 minutes before showtime. We like to stand along the rail in the hub though at least once per trip, the garden space in front of us is so nice because no one is directly in front of us. And I like having a rail to lean on. The spot we found was one of the last spots along any of the railing in the hub area. It quickly filled in after that.

Oh a quick story I forgot to add to my post about that night. About 30 minutes after we sat down, I went to the bathroom and when I came back hubs told me of a "fun" encounter he had with a lady in a scooter. Apparently the lady came up to Brad and told him that she needed him to move over because she needed to park along the rail so she could see the show. He politely (at least he said it was polite and knowing him it probably was) told her no as there wasn't anywhere he could move to and that the open spot next to him was for his wife. She then said that she promised not to stand up during the show and we could stand behind her. What?!!? That is when he said he was a little more forceful and told her no and that he wanted a spot along the rail to watch the show and that is why he arrived 30 minutes ago to get a spot and if she had wanted that spot she should have arrived earlier. Then he said he just went back to playing his game on his phone as she huffed and went away.

When I came back he told me the story and pointed her out. She had conned a family a little ways away into letting her have her rail space. And guess what. She stood as she watched the show. :rolleyes: I can't believe she had the nerve to tell people to give up their spot for her.
Sometimes??!! :rolleyes:

MeeskaMooska0714

But I could do without the Arie the Bachelor sign. We like watching the show but we didn't care for him as a Bachelor. He kind of had a creepy way about him that clearly is in this picture. He just has a creeper smile. Sorry.
YES!!!!! I totally agree with you (but I won't take over your TR to talk about the Bachelor)!

Loving your report so far! Glad you got to leave the northern tundra and enjoy some sunshine! :)

Figgy1

Premium Member
After Test Track, I found some flowers in the bathroom near by. I took another picture for @Tuvalu .View attachment 276545

Then we headed to Mission Space only to find it closed.
View attachment 276549

View attachment 276554

View attachment 276553

So we wandered over to Imagination to support Figment.
View attachment 276550

Then made our own Figments after.
View attachment 276546

View attachment 276551

And took a couple pictures of merch I didn't buy but found interesting.
View attachment 276547

View attachment 276548
I have that Mickey and Figment picture in my living room. I'm sure everybody is quite shocked to hear that:eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom