Florida commission: Disney discriminated against autistic visitors

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
What is Disney going to do about these disabled people with their so called "service dogs"? No, I am not talking about people with legitimate needs, but those who bring Fido and Fifi to the park since they are too cheap to put them in the kennel, or afraid to just leave them at the motel/hotel, etc. Will a Great Dane be allowed on a ride since the person has panic attacks and needs the companionship to soothe them among the other services the dog provides them? I saw a Chihuahua "service dog" the other day at EPCOT. The poor thing was shaking for all get out and it's owner was doing nothing to soothe it. That is animal cruelty to me. A CM was fawning over the dog until it snapped at her.

That falls under the "faking a disability, they're a reprehensible person" category.

arko

EY
Intereting, because my state at least, to get a handicapped placard for your car you are required to provide the DMV with a letter from your doctor.

The rules are different for different things. Wheelchair accessible parking is a government controlled level of access

Sassagoula-Rvr

I've toured the parks with someone who is forced to use an ECV. I've found most guests to be disrespectful and generally rude to those that are on ECVs.
Fair enough, like I said it's not everyone...but a few knuckleheads can sure sour an opinion...

I still don't see how guests being rude, makes it somehow even halfway alright to run other people over...one of them was a young kid. But I guess the golden rule doesn't get you very far anymore.

Sassagoula-Rvr

Yes this issue has nothing to do with being on an ecv or not a jerk is a jerk whether standing or sitting. Its just that a jerk with wheels can do more damage. I have seen the rudeness both ways.

Exactly! Those things can draw blood when they run over an ankle.

arko

Fair enough, like I said it's not everyone...but a few knuckleheads can sure sour an opinion...

I still don't see how guests being rude, makes it somehow even halfway alright to run other people over...one of them was a young kid. But I guess the golden rule doesn't get you very far anymore.

I don't think he meana that people being rude to those in ECV's gives them the right to run you over, more like there are plenty of people in ECv's who try their best not to cause issues but get treated rudely anyway.

Sassagoula-Rvr

I don't think he meana that people being rude to those in ECV's gives them the right to run you over, more like there are plenty of people in ECv's who try their best not to cause issues but get treated rudely anyway.
Point taken, we have been with someone before who has used it...but that was just for a day or two in the really intensive walking (Epcot world showcase and DAK) because they have serious knee issues. They didn't have any issues, but it was a small sample size, I don't doubt that people get treated badly though.

I'm just saying, next time people are in them...please be extra considerate of others too!

But that's enough with this off topic bit!

jlthomas81

I know they cannot question a disability but couldn't they require proof from a doctor? That proof wouldn't need to say what the disability is, just what limitations the person has due to the disability.

When we were there in 2012 with our then 3 year old son on the spectrum, we did bring a letter from his doctor that stated what accommodations he would require to be able to function as a "typical" child. And even though I had it, Disney did not want to see it. They also willingly, and lovingly gave us our GAC and explained it to us. It worked then just like an unlimited FastPass, or at least thats how we used it. However, we also agreed that if the line was less than 20 minutes, that we would use the standby que. He did very well with this. The only major meltdown that we had due to the lines was while waiting for Buzz and Woody, which was close to an hour.

We are returning in May. Our son is now 6, and his tolerance is much better IMO. Does he still have meltdowns, yes. Does he still have issues waiting for long periods of time, yes. Will he more than likely have issues with the amount of people in such small places and most certainly the smells and sounds associated with that, of course! But why should that deter us from having a family vacation at Walt Disney World? As his parents, it is our job to expose him to these kinds of things and bring him out of his comfort zone. Will it be beneficial for us to pick up a DAS on this next visit, and have it for times when the lines are just too long to manage? Surely. But this is HIS vacation too. He should be allowed to escape some of the hum-drumness of his life just like the rest of us and actually enjoy himself. So if getting a "fastpass like" return time by using the DAS and going to wait somewhere that won't give him a sensory overload will help, then I am all for it.

I do not feel that Disney has ever discriminated against my son or my family. We have been overly accommodated on every visit to the World. My family would still attend WDW even if something such as the DAS or GAC was *not (edited) in place. There are so many other ways to enjoy yourself at the parks that don't require you to have to wait in any line at all.

I do want to say that I am appalled at some of the comments that have been made on this thread today. A little research on Autism and other developmental disorders would would do some of you some good. Maybe offer a little clarity into the reasoning behind the "special treatment". Anytime I hear about or read about a discussion such as this, it seems to always boil down to one thing....jealousy. "Its not fair that so and so with xyz gets to have special treatment when I have to wait like everyone else." And my response is always the same. My son has asked me numerous times why certain things bother him the way they do. Why people look at him funny or why we (his family) don't feel sick when we smell certain things. I can tell you for a fact that he wishes he could be "normal" and wait in an hour long line just like everyone else. The problem is most of the time he doesn't even understand why he can't handle it. He is a smart kid, and even at 6, he can see that the world treats him differently, and that he is different in the world.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

My friend has never run anyone over.

As for the golden rule? Might want to look in the mirror first.

doctornick

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Put the system on My Disney Experience and/or switch to the Universal system and it will be more than acceptable. Having said that, we had no issues with the current system and my autistic brother. Yes, it was less convenient but he was none the wiser.

Isn't the Uni system more or less the same as the current Disney one?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Isn't that special! I guess we'll be saying goodbye to children friendly rides in favor of sit there experiences. Remove all the ride vehicles and make them into walk through attractions.

arko

When we were there in 2012 with our then 3 year old son on the spectrum, we did bring a letter from his doctor that stated what accommodations he would require to be able to function as a "typical" child. And even though I had it, Disney did not want to see it. They also willingly, and lovingly gave us our GAC and explained it to us. It worked then just like an unlimited FastPass, or at least thats how we used it. However, we also agreed that if the line was less than 20 minutes, that we would use the standby que. He did very well with this. The only major meltdown that we had due to the lines was while waiting for Buzz and Woody, which was close to an hour.

We are returning in May. Our son is now 6, and his tolerance is much better IMO. Does he still have meltdowns, yes. Does he still have issues waiting for long periods of time, yes. Will he more than likely have issues with the amount of people in such small places and most certainly the smells and sounds associated with that, of course! But why should that deter us from having a family vacation at Walt Disney World? As his parents, it is our job to expose him to these kinds of things and bring him out of his comfort zone. Will it be beneficial for us to pick up a DAS on this next visit, and have it for times when the lines are just too long to manage? Surely. But this is HIS vacation too. He should be allowed to escape some of the hum-drumness of his life just like the rest of us and actually enjoy himself. So if getting a "fastpass like" return time by using the DAS and going to wait somewhere that won't give him a sensory overload will help, then I am all for it.

I do not feel that Disney has ever discriminated against my son or my family. We have been overly accommodated on every visit to the World. My family would still attend WDW even if something such as the DAS or GAC was in place. There are so many other ways to enjoy yourself at the parks that don't require you to have to wait in any line at all.

I do want to say that I am appalled at some of the comments that have been made on this thread today. A little research on Autism and other developmental disorders would would do some of you some good. Maybe offer a little clarity into the reasoning behind the "special treatment". Anytime I hear about or read about a discussion such as this, it seems to always boil down to one thing....jealousy. "Its not fair that so and so with xyz gets to have special treatment when I have to wait like everyone else." And my response is always the same. My son has asked me numerous times why certain things bother him the way they do. Why people look at him funny or why we (his family) don't feel sick when we smell certain things. I can tell you for a fact that he wishes he could be "normal" and wait in an hour long line just like everyone else. The problem is most of the time he doesn't even understand why he can't handle it. He is a smart kid, and even at 6, he can see that the world treats him differently, and that he is different in the world.

Most of us who used the GAC knew and appreciated that Disney was going the extra mile. The DAS no matter how you cut it is less than the GAC, but that does not mean Disney isn't meeting the requirements of the law. Its just sad that Disney has to make a program that is just good enough because those without disabilities can't control themselves.

BuzzKillington

Under ADA rules the access is equal and fair because the simple act of being in a wheelchair does not prevent you from riding a ride which provides wheelchair accessible cars. Disney is under no obligation to make every car wheelchair accessible. All they have to do is give equal access to the ride which they have done by providing wheelchair accessibke cars on the rides that have been built since the rules went into place.

Maybe not but it sure sounds like Disney's policy of denying those who are wheelchair bound the DAS keeps them from being able “to enjoy the park as it was intended to be enjoyed by all other patrons".

RmeDad

My wife's health conditions require her to use an ECV. It is amazing that we have experienced so many "knuckleheads" that you describe. But THOSE "knuckleheads" are WITHOUT disabilities! Yet we have no disrespect or "sourness" for them. We just get out of their way and try not to delay anyone. The majority of the people we encounter are very thoughtful and understanding. In closing, those that can't deal with disabled people should pray that they never have a personal experience with any of the conditions that cause disabilities.

dstrawn9889

Exactly! Those things can draw blood when they run over an ankle.
thats when you need my new invention, the monopod ramp!
monopod%20ramp_zpsyvtbefpw.jpg
it has a sturdy telescoping steel body, with a tapering 5" ramp for extra 'stabilization' for your shots. on the upside, an ecv would ride up and either get stuck, or if it is imbalanced, it could topple over... but it is for passive image stabilization... LOL

arko

Maybe not but it sure sounds like Disney's policy of denying those who are wheelchair bound the DAS keeps them from being able “to enjoy the park as it was intended to be enjoyed by all other patrons".
How exactly. Those who use the DAS still have to wait the same amount of time as if they got into the standby line, they are just waiting somehwere else. There is no time gained by someone in a wheelchair getting a DAS because they would still have to wait for the wheelchair accessible car after they go through the FP line. Being in a wheelchair in of itself does prevent you from waiting in line.

Example its 10:30am and the standby wait is 45 minutes

In line
45 minutes in line
10 minutes waiting for wheeelchair accessible car
Total time 55 minutes

DAS
given return time of 11:05am
wait outside line 35 minutes
wait in FP line 10 minutes
10 minutes waiting for wheeelchair accessible car
Total time 55 minutes

So the only difference is where you wait, and nothing about simply being in a wheelchair means you have to wait outside the line.

This does not mean that someone in a wheelchiar has other issues that woudl be alleviated by having a DAS and waiting outside the line.

StarWarsGirl

How exactly. Those who use the DAS still have to wait the same amount of time as if they got into the standby line, they are just waiting somehwere else. There is no time gained by someone in a wheelchair getting a DAS because they would still have to wait for the wheelchair accessible car after they go through the FP line. Being in a wheelchair in of itself does prevent you from waiting in line.
Actually, I could see how it might benefit them. It takes a long time to load a wheelchair, so their wait time is longer than the rest of us. It also just plain harder for them to get around the parks.

Since they have the extra wait, it seems fair to me that they could utilize the DAS so that in between, they could do a ride by standby. Then they could come back. Since they move more slowly, they may have actually accomplished two rides in the same amount of time as those of us without limited mobility.

Still, the only problem with this is that too many people would rent wheelchairs just to use the system. But I can see how you could argue that a DAS would benefit those in wheelchairs. :) Only problem is the issue of abuse like there was with the GAC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom