Florida commission: Disney discriminated against autistic visitors

arko

Ok, so while GAC never was intended to have FOTL access, it was at times treated as such. So, are the plaintiffs then ok with a ten minute FP wait, then go around and do another ten minute wait? Is that how I understand that? Thanks for your previous clarification.

In some cases a few users were allowed to keep riding over and over. This was never the intent of th GAC even at its most lax and was mostly a CM on the spot decision. But yes you would in most cases have to go back through the FP line if you wanted to ride again.

StarWarsGirl

what do other parks do compared to Disney?
Some parks do nothing. No system whatsoever. I know Hershey only has a system for guests with mobility impairments. Which is why we use common sense and go on a non-crowded weekday. Disney, not always possible. Personally, I think that the DAS system works very well, having used it several times now and never having a problem with my younger brother (who is on the autism spectrum) having a meltdown.

Other kids might have a problem, but Disney, it seems, cannot make everyone happy.

StarWarsGirl

i would say it is not fair to the child, to bring them where the triggers are... (and yes i know the triggers do not necessarily live at disney, but why taunt dynamite monkey by throwing in large crowds and an uncontrollable landscape?)
Actually, for some, Disney can be quite therapeutic and the stimulation is good for them. My younger brother actually comes back from WDW in better shape than he was in before he left.

I agree that for some, the parents should think twice before going to WDW. But for many, it's quite beneficial and not at all torture for them. They have fun. :)

RSoxNo1

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Put the system on My Disney Experience and/or switch to the Universal system and it will be more than acceptable. Having said that, we had no issues with the current system and my autistic brother. Yes, it was less convenient but he was none the wiser.

DManRightHere

So...by the commisions understanding, couldn't a qualified family sue Disney for being closed at 4am because they "want to ride that ride now"? I guess that's a different perception as no one is able to ride at 4am...

Will this work at walmart, mcdonalds? The qualified family needs a way directly to a register with no waiting..

I don't think there is anyway to live without guidance and restraint, I don't mean these families never guide, i just mean Disney is asking people to come back at a certain time to better accompdate instead of now when there is a line for the disabled?? It seems like a small inconvenience...I don't mean any kind of disrespect to anyone..

DoTheImpossible

Well this is a bunch of crap. What is autistic Jimmy going to do when he comes of age and enters the real world? ? What is Trust Fund Jenny going to do when she comes of age and enters the real world?

Probably the same thing, "I'm entitled, gimme gimme gimme"

Did you really just call an Autistic person who has a program accomodate them at a theme park entitled? Regardless of what system is implemented that's a ridiculous way to view the situation.

asianway

So tell me this; Which person or persons in a wheelchair should be discriminated against and not allowed to ride the attraction so you don't get "disrupted"?
Disney did file a patent for a ride system at HM that would pull a doom buggy off the line for disabled loading. All they have to do it write the check

Figment2005

The Haunted Mansion is barely worth riding anymore when the park is crowded. It gets stopped multiple times so that people in wheelchairs can get on and off. It wasn't built to accommodate that kind of thing. I agree, where will it end?
Not to mention all the stopping and starting is slowly tearing the ride apart.

dstrawn9889

Disney did file a patent for a ride system at HM that would pull a doom buggy off the line for disabled loading. All they have to do it write the check
that being the case, how many do you put into service, and how many regular doombuggies does it replace? i can see the mechanism in my mind, but it would be difficult to manage, say sever 15th car comes off the line? because you cannot pull one out and then magically get it back into the line in the same position... would defeat the purpose of pulling it off the chain

BuzzKillington

I am going to use your logic, so why exactly should someone in a wheelchair get a DAS if the regular line can accomodate their chair. As per ADA they are getting fair and equal access the same as everyone else. Understand there are many reasons why someone in a wheelchair shoudl have a DAS, but none of them have anything to do with the simple act of having to be in a wheelchair itself.

Do you consider having to wait in line an extra 5 to 15 minutes for a wheelchair accessible ride vehicle to come around fair and equal?

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I dunno, I stopped reading at the bolded statement. I thought it was pretty much pointed out that the program was modified because of general, overall abuse, not just the class-warfare-esque small handful of "wealthy" people hiring disabled tour guides. Might be a small thing to quibble about, I know, but it sets an odd tone for the rest of the piece when it gets the reason for the change incorrect within the first few paragraphs.

I didn't write the article. My point of posting this is not to cause quibbling or any other emotionally forged/fueled arguments.

Rather this is something that will impact the numerous lawsuits that arose from the claims.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I didn't write the article. My point of posting this is not to cause quibbling or any other emotionally forged/fueled arguments.

Rather this is something that will impact the numerous lawsuits that arose from the claims.
Yeah, I didn't think you wrote it. I was quoting you mainly to quote the article.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Put the system on My Disney Experience and/or switch to the Universal system and it will be more than acceptable. Having said that, we had no issues with the current system and my autistic brother. Yes, it was less convenient but he was none the wiser.

I thought the current Universal system was the same as the current Disney system? That's the way it worked the last time I went to Uni with my disabled friend.

asianway

that being the case, how many do you put into service, and how many regular doombuggies does it replace? i can see the mechanism in my mind, but it would be difficult to manage, say sever 15th car comes off the line? because you cannot pull one out and then magically get it back into the line in the same position... would defeat the purpose of pulling it off the chain
I don't think it had to go to same place I'm assuming there would be breakers that it could slide into. It's out there if you want to read it

ILOVEDISNEY

What is Disney going to do about these disabled people with their so called "service dogs"? No, I am not talking about people with legitimate needs, but those who bring Fido and Fifi to the park since they are too cheap to put them in the kennel, or afraid to just leave them at the motel/hotel, etc. Will a Great Dane be allowed on a ride since the person has panic attacks and needs the companionship to soothe them among the other services the dog provides them? I saw a Chihuahua "service dog" the other day at EPCOT. The poor thing was shaking for all get out and it's owner was doing nothing to soothe it. That is animal cruelty to me. A CM was fawning over the dog until it snapped at her.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No, the law is written with the intent that the disabled should be able to experience the public just like everyone else. If they ask for help, they should get it, and not have to PROVE they need the help. The constraints come in on how far someone must EXTEND that help - hence 'reasonable accommodation'.

To have to prove your needs or limitations is seen as an additional burden on those who the law is trying to mainstream.

Intereting, because my state at least, to get a handicapped placard for your car you are required to provide the DMV with a letter from your doctor.

arko

Do you consider having to wait in line an extra 5 to 15 minutes for a wheelchair accessible ride vehicle to come around fair and equal?

Under ADA rules the access is equal and fair because the simple act of being in a wheelchair does not prevent you from riding a ride which provides wheelchair accessible cars. Disney is under no obligation to make every car wheelchair accessible. All they have to do is give equal access to the ride which they have done by providing wheelchair accessibke cars on the rides that have been built since the rules went into place.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I know that, as I said..."lucky" I don't resort to that...however I know many people at the world probably would.

And the violence is not an answer thing goes both ways...Just because someone has been unfortunate with health problems...doesn't give them an excuse to run people over, or treat them without respect. (as a side note, I am in no way saying that all people are like this...there are knuckleheads all over the world).

I've toured the parks with someone who is forced to use an ECV. I've found most guests to be disrespectful and generally rude to those that are on ECVs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom