Flogging a Dead Horse: Imagination Refurbishment... will it ever happen?

Lorange

For the Curious, Have a Peek Upstairs:

It'll be Interesting to see what they're planning. If done right, It'll be a step in the right direction of Making EPCOT more than just "Drinking/Eating around the world"

Axle1986

It'll be Interesting to see what they're planning. If done right, It'll be a step in the right direction of Making EPCOT more than just "Drinking/Eating around the world"

Whats the new construction? I didn't see anything different?
Love the video. I don't know how to feel about everything being up there still... its very saddening

pixargal

Does anyone know what they did with the props from the original Journey. I read recently, that they old tracks were not removed just covered. How hard would it be to go back to some form of the original?

bethymouse

I just don't get it. A virtual ghost town upstairs. There is quite a bit Disney Imagineers could do w/ that. What a waste of space and a darn shame!:(:mad:

FigmentJack

If they are worried about Figment carrying the ride solo, perhaps he could simply act as a host as he takes you through different ways Disney characters have been able to use their imagination in their stories:
  • Remy can be shown cooking and developing his recipes.
  • Genie crafting all his wonders.
  • Belle exploring the world of books and storytelling (perhaps too much overlap with the new MK attraction for her to be present.)
  • Lilo & Stitch dancing / imagining themselves as Elvis.
  • Phineas & Ferb working on their inventions.
That's just a few I thought up quickly, but there's tons of scenarios they could implement.

raven

This is an old video. It's completely cleared out now save for the temporary walls with "construction" going on (actually for computers used by DCL for onboard purchase transactions).

Does anyone know what they did with the props from the original Journey. I read recently, that they old tracks were not removed just covered. How hard would it be to go back to some form of the original?

A few are in both WDI CA & FL, a couple more are in Epcot archives and one in costuming area backstage.

It's hard to tell what's going on on the second floor, but it does seem like construction has happened fairly recently. Having said that, the rainbow light tunnel and several other things from the old Image Works are still up there.

I've been told many times that it's almost completely mold ridden which is why it's closed to guests (safety issues). But Tom Staggs also visited the area a couple of months ago on his visit.

New versions HAVE been drawn up that include the original Dreamfinder as well as mutiple Figment characters (in many colors and styles). Just not sure why they were rejected.

pixargal

Thank you, Raven for answering my question. Do the higher ups at Disney know how much people would love to see the original Journey come back?

HMF

At least Figment is still in the ride. Remember when they took him out!?!?! Now that was truly terrible! I would like Figment and Dreamfinder featured as the main stars again though....
You mean the loud obnoxious Figment or the loveable childlike Figment?

juan

Every time I'm in Epcot, I hope for a change.

It will happen at some point. Maybe soon, maybe 10 years later.....all you can do is hope.

rufio

The one thing I guess I have to concede that I'm incredibly grateful for is that Disney didn't go through with plans to gut Spaceship Earth and turn it into a roller coaster with video screens. The new script and descent sequence are admittedly terrible, but I still enjoy the ride and can deal with that far more than the concept of Time Racers. And I thank heavens Living With The Land is still present as well (which may now be my favorite ride at Epcot), very worried the short lines will eventually put this on the chopping block though.

If this ever happens... I don't know how to finish that statement, but it wouldn't be a happy century for me. :confused:

Goofyernmost

You mean the loud obnoxious Figment or the loveable childlike Figment?

The one that contained the loveable Figment is the one with the Dreamfinder. Or the original.

One of the Dreamfinders ships is currently sitting up high near the ceiling in Mouse Gear Gift Shop in Epcot. Something that can be put on the list of things to find while in Epcot.

Turtle

If they are worried about Figment carrying the ride solo, perhaps he could simply act as a host as he takes you through different ways Disney characters have been able to use their imagination in their stories:
  • Remy can be shown cooking and developing his recipes.
  • Genie crafting all his wonders.
  • Belle exploring the world of books and storytelling (perhaps too much overlap with the new MK attraction for her to be present.)
  • Lilo & Stitch dancing / imagining themselves as Elvis.
  • Phineas & Ferb working on their inventions.
That's just a few I thought up quickly, but there's tons of scenarios they could implement.

Expecting this being worked on by 2015 (when fantasyland and RSR/Avatar is finished) the pixar movie about inside the mind is coming out so that's a possibility.

michmousefan

I think Apple would be an ideal sponsor, personally.

Yep, I've also thought Apple would be a great match with Imagination as a sponsor. However, I wonder if with HP as the MS sponsor, do they have exclusive rights as a computer company sponsor in FW?

Still, just thinking what Apple could do is tempting. A special app that would interact with various places in the pavilion — and FW in general— would be impressive. Special Apple labs where guests could create items with Apple technology would be a replacement for imageworks. As far as the ride, it would be cool if elements of a portion of the ride could be created by guests (photos, video, etc.) on a daily basis, submitted from iPhone and other smartphones. Seems like the best would be a combo of the old— with Dreamfinder and Figment—and some new technology.

I think one of the reasons that successive versions of the ride are not liked is that the immersive nature of the original ride is greatly diminished. The effects are bland and uninspired, and parts of the ride feel like they are staged in a warehouse. When a new ride is created, the budget has to be substantial...

I've suggested in another thread that the theater could be scrapped—3D theatres aren't that unique in 2012 — and use that space for another smaller ride AND/OR create an engaging themed restaurant & bar on the 2nd floor that would have views of illuminations and the gardens of FW.

TropicalFig8

Sometimes,my hope for this pavilion getting refurbished keeps going down.
But I did like that idea of having just Figment host the pavilion without an human host. Even though I'd like Dreamfinder to return. I'd even like a Figment & Dreamfinder 3-D movie.
A pavilion about imagination {which Disney,you do the best} isn't imaginative anymore.
They aren't going to get rid of Figment anytime soon,but if they do,I imagine they'd put an Phineas and Ferb imagination ride in there.

raven

Thank you, Raven for answering my question. Do the higher ups at Disney know how much people would love to see the original Journey come back?

I'm sure they do. But there were some major issues with keeping the carousel part of the ride working which is the reason for the shorter version now. The track path is still under the floor (not sure about the track) but the carousel section has been completely demolished.

The rainbow corridor is gone?

Still there but now simply lit by florescent lighting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom