Flogging a Dead Horse: Imagination Refurbishment... will it ever happen?

Jim Possible

Original Poster
I've suggested in another thread that the theater could be scrapped—3D theatres aren't that unique in 2012 — and use that space for another smaller ride AND/OR create an engaging themed restaurant & bar on the 2nd floor that would have views of illuminations and the gardens of FW.

I don't even care if they bulldoze the current pavilion. And I'm not looking for Imagination 1.0 Redux. They just need something that truly captures the concept of "imagination" and is as impressive to guests in 20XX as the original was 30 years ago. If Dreamfinder and Figment are present - bonus. If not, but it still manages to have that "Wow!" factor, then I can make do.

The pavilion is in sad shape and something needs to be done.

Yesterday.

pixargal

The one that contained the loveable Figment is the one with the Dreamfinder. Or the original.

One of the Dreamfinders ships is currently sitting up high near the ceiling in Mouse Gear Gift Shop in Epcot. Something that can be put on the list of things to find while in Epcot.
Thank you, Goofyernmost, for the information. I will definitely look for it on my next trip.

Jeff456

I hope so the ride is truely horrendous, rode it two times on my last trip and hated it both times as I have always done in the past, Captain EO is even worse though picture quality is just embarrassing, the whole pavillion needs gutting its a terrible part of Epcot.

Goofyernmost

I don't even care if they bulldoze the current pavilion. And I'm not looking for Imagination 1.0 Redux. They just need something that truly captures the concept of "imagination" and is as impressive to guests in 20XX as the original was 30 years ago. If Dreamfinder and Figment are present - bonus. If not, but it still manages to have that "Wow!" factor, then I can make do.

The pavilion is in sad shape and something needs to be done.

Yesterday.

I didn't notice on my last trip, but the year before I noticed that the canvas banner, which, BTW, is the only signing used at the New Figment ride was so faded that it was difficult to read. I went to a CM and said..."I know you don't have anything to do with it, but when you get a chance would you please relay this Message? If Disney isn't going to do anything worthwhile to make this a good ride could they at least be respectful enough of the Guests that they don't display a dirty, faded sign!" My feeling is that they should at least look like they care. That sign sure didn't convey that message.

Rescue Ranger

I and everyone else wants Dreamfinder back...he and the attraction never should have been taken away to begin with. That attraction would still live up to today vs what they have there now. Worst idea eeeeever. I still do not understand why they took away something great to put in something so inferior.

Goofyernmost

I'm relying on memory here, but if I recall correctly Kodak was the sponsor of the Imagination Pavilion. I believe I read somewhere that they had a stipulation in their contract with Disney that the attraction would be changed every (don't know how many) years.

I liked Dreamfinder & Figment version, but to be honest the only "WOW" factor that I remember was the one where you are moving along side the Dream Catcher with DF and Fig. I can remember wondering how they were able to do that. The rest of the ride could get a little tedious, in my mind. The second imagination created the vacuum in space by sucking so much and #3 was only slightly better. By then the majority of the props were either in the graveyard or specific pieces were shipped to other locations or sold. They changed the personality of Figment from loveable, innocent and excited about new things to "bad little kid" that was out of control. Who knows why! Perhaps the imagineers were angry about losing their original and showed it by being a long way away from using any imagination or judgment. I get the feeling that they just didn't care.

I don't think that the upstairs actually closed until Kodak pulled out of sponsorship. That area required a lot of CM presence and Disney was not willing to absorb that much cost. A lot of people liked that area but it wasn't exactly a "must do", so it was looked at as expendable.

Jim Possible

Original Poster
"One little spork!" LOL!

Seriously, I too think that they need to gut this pavilion and just start over from scratch. They can still let figment host it...but I admit every time I see him, I get sad because he just reminds me of what used to be the most amazing attraction, is now a joke.

I'd agree with that. Anything else is just a band-aid on a gaping wound. The pavilion is in sad, sad shape and it might be better to just demo it and start over.

Goofyernmost

I'd agree with that. Anything else is just a band-aid on a gaping wound. The pavilion is in sad, sad shape and it might be better to just demo it and start over.

Well, we don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater do we? The Pavilion itself, is spectacular, it just isn't being used in anything close to a spectacular fashion. It needs some new Good stuff in it. The old Dreamfinder & Figment is long departed but I'm sure something new, with them could be used that would "spark" up the imagination again. Even returning the song with a new show would be a help. As they say...Just one little spark!

I always liked HISTA but I realize it was dated. They did, however, explain the premise so people that never saw the original, could understand what was happening. When they let those lab mice go, I used to just look around the theater and watch the reaction...it was hilarious, and still is. Sure did beat Captain Ewwwww!:)

TropicalFig8

In this podcast, Jim Hill mentions that there are plans to do something with Dreamfinder... they just haven't figured out what yet.

Link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-6-epcot-resorts/id452620851?i=111840519#

(Character dining?! Seriously...? "One little spork...")

Oh yeah,I listened to that podcast and I admit,I got a little excited.

4D movie with Dreamfinder & Figment like Cinemagic = Yes!
Walk around character = Yes!
Dinning experience = I'll probably be the only person that would pay.
Convincing Bob Iger = I knew it was gonna come to this.

RSoxNo1

This is an old video. It's completely cleared out now save for the temporary walls with "construction" going on (actually for computers used by DCL for onboard purchase transactions).

A few are in both WDI CA & FL, a couple more are in Epcot archives and one in costuming area backstage.

I've been told many times that it's almost completely mold ridden which is why it's closed to guests (safety issues). But Tom Staggs also visited the area a couple of months ago on his visit.

New versions HAVE been drawn up that include the original Dreamfinder as well as mutiple Figment characters (in many colors and styles). Just not sure why they were rejected.
This video was taken on 9/1/2012.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom