Floating Mirror in Tower of Terror

Mission: SPACE

Original Poster
Does anyone have any ideas as to how they achieve the floating mirror after you load?

Also... just about the room in general... It looks like the room is constructed from some type of flexible material.. I've seen the walls move... :animwink: ... The halls appear to be shorter than they actually are.

Anyone have any ideas?

Wilt Dasney

The walls in the drop shafts are designed of a more pliable material that allows them to "bend out" from all of the air pressure displaced from a drop. You can actually stand outside the break room with your head against the wall and feel them bend toward you. (Of course, you'll get a few strange looks if you stand there for too long.)

The hall that you witness on your way up is shorter then it appears. It's another example of forced perspective, where the objects get smaller the further away from you they are placed. I wandered around with my trainer up there once, and the shoes and newspapers outside the rooms in that scene get progressively tinier until the ones at the other end of the hall are about the size of your hand.

Not sure what you mean by the mirror...do you mean the window that floats around and then shatters? That is, I believe, just a projection.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I've always wondered that too! It's a really, really good projection if that's all that it is. Thanks for the info Wilt Dasney. :D

Any other secrets you want to share?

raven

Originally posted by Mission: SPACE
Does anyone have any ideas as to how they achieve the floating mirror after you load?

Also... just about the room in general... It looks like the room is constructed from some type of flexible material.. I've seen the walls move... :animwink: ... The halls appear to be shorter than they actually are.

Anyone have any ideas?

I explained this effect in another post. It's called the "peppers ghost" effect and it is done with mirrors. It is very simple to reproduce.

Check out my reply in the Alien Encounter post in the "How'd they do that?" folder.

Sir Hiss527

I'm not sure what your talking about "Floating Mirror" I have no clue. Do you mean the window, when it shatters? You can tell that the room is much smaller than it appears, and it's all done by mirrors, and projections.

Mission: SPACE

Original Poster
Yeah guys... I'm sorry... I meant window... I was tired and I don't know where my mind was...

Thanks for the replies though! They really help.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom