Flights on Delta ????

Familyfun

Original Poster
I have never flown before... but I do have a question..
Has anyone ever flown on Delta teeny tiny plane..
38 passenger? It is non stop from Columbus OH to Orlando... A little leary of the small size.. but it gets us in really early and the price isnt bad...
Any comments would be great.. Thanks

lcsrig

We have flown in a plane that small several times. They are quick but can be alittle loud. If the price is right, go for it.

TTATraveler

I have been on a Continental ERJ145. That was a 50 seat jet. It was comfortable, but the ceilings were a bit short (and I am not tall) and most carry on bags have to be gate checked due to the small overhead bins. I was only on board from EWR to Dulles so it wasn't bad. Not sure how 30 seats will be. Is it a turbo prop or a jet?

Becky

I have flown from CMH to MCO on the ER3 several times. The great thing is there is no middle seat. There is one seat on the left side and two on the right.

Your flight should be operated by Delta partner Chautauqua Airlines which provides excellent service.

My only concern for my May trip is whether Delta will still be in business. My hope is that my money is being held by Chautauqua not Delta.

Dixiegrl

That is the type of plane my family and I flew to Disney in May. I think the flight was operated under a Delta connection but I'm not sure of the name. It was very tiny but I got used to it quick. It was also my first time to fly and I was quite aprehensive but it was GREAT!!! I can't emphasize great enough. I was flying from Louisiana and all it took was about two hours to get there as opposed to twelve driving! You definetly won't regret the flight no matter what the size of the plane. Have a great time and just try to enjoy the whole flying experience!

Familyfun

Original Poster
Great Thanks....Youve put my mind at ease. I'm not real concerned about the still being in business.. (well I hope).. my brother in law is a pilot for them and doesnt seem to be concerned... At least now... My other thing is... When its your time its your time.. doesnt really matter how it happens...

TTATraveler

Becky said:
The ER3 is a 38 passenger jet.

That is good. I was really surprised with the fact that despite the small ERJ145, the flight was great and really didn't feel any different then a larger Boeing plane. So with only 12 less seats, that can't be too bad, just a smaller cabin.

d'Isigny

Familyfun said:
Great Thanks....Youve put my mind at ease. I'm not real concerned about the still being in business.. (well I hope).. my brother in law is a pilot for them and doesnt seem to be concerned... At least now... My other thing is... When its your time its your time.. doesnt really matter how it happens...

I don't mind that if it's the flight home...

When are you going?

Familyfun

Original Poster
We are going Aug 12-20 staying at the POR.... First time Ive been down since 86.. my DH and 2 kids have never been there... Are they in for a Great time....

Floridasunshine

Some of the smoothest flights I have ever flown were on the smaller planes. One plane I was on carried only about 35-38 people. It got me there about 20 minutes ahead of schedule and barely a single bump.

DisneyMarg

One more vote for small planes. I travel for a living and much prefer the smaller planes. Smaller planes mean fewer passengers - you'll feel more like a guest and less like a part of a cattle herd.

If you haven't flown on a small plane before, let me elaborate on the "gate check" process for your bags. The small planes have very small overhead storage areas, so you generally cannot take on any type of roller bag - even those that would normally be allowed on bigger planes. But they make some accomodations, so you can still have it before and after your flight. When you get on the plane, you will leave your bag on a luggage cart or in the jetway (just watch what everyone else is doing), and they will load it last into the luggage compartment of the plane. Then, when you land, they will unload those first, and put them on the cart or in the jetway for you to pick up. One of the Delta employees will provide a gate check tag for you, to identify yours as a bag to take off planeside, and to ensure that the bag you get back was really your bag.

So, don't pack anything that you need on the flight into the big carryon, as you won't have it on the flight. But you will have it in the gate before and after the flight, and this does avoid having it lost in the regular baggage check. Put your in-flight necessities in a smaller bag that will fit under the seat in front of you.

Have a great time. To me, the flight there is like a big old E level attraction!

d'Isigny

Familyfun said:
We are going Aug 12-20 staying at the POR.... First time Ive been down since 86.. my DH and 2 kids have never been there... Are they in for a Great time....

I usually go in July...about now, I start monitering the flights...prices usually come down around April...

86?!!! Boy are you in for it! So much has changed...including another park.

Great chioce on Resort...

jmicro59

Familyfun said:
38 passenger? It is non stop from Columbus OH to Orlando... A little leary of the small size.. but it gets us in really early and the price isnt bad...

I don't know when you're going to travel but keep an eye on the news as Delta and its pilots are in "discussions" over pay cutbacks and the pilots have threatened a walkout. We are traveling in July on Delta but we may not if a walkout happens.

SallyShine

Familyfun said:

We're doing the same thing from Dayton. As far as I'm concerned, if there is no connection to make, it will be a good flight. Plus, you're going to WDW!

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

SarahBella82

Familyfun said:

My sister and I prefer smaller planes. I've had smoother flights and, for some reason, a better feeling of control in small planes. Columbus to Orlando should be pretty short, and I say go for it. If you're nervous, try envisioning all of the fantastic things that await your arrival!

hansel1

We flew american in january from little rock arkansas to chicago to orlando. The first leg was a plane that size and it wasn't bad at all. The second leg we flew first class on a larger plane and the seats were actually smaller than on the small plane.

We booked a delta flight for next january and it is the plane you talk about (38 passengers). The big sell is that we can fly delta non-stop on this plane for 2 hours from little rock to orlando round trip ($540 for two tickets) or we could fly american and ride the same plane for two hours to connect at another airport then fly another two hours in a larger plane for around $700.

Unless you are flying a commuter 10 passenger plane, I wouldn't worry about it. The 38 passenger planes seem to fly at a higher altitude and get there quicker.

Becky

Familyfun said:

Ah ha, my plane from CMH and my hotel. I am going in May. I'll clean the rooms (2) before I leave.

Interruption?

Familyfun said:
jet or prop?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom