Flights on Delta ????

wdwfamilyinil

We are using Delta in June, at the time when we booked we didn't realize all the contract problems. We only used Delta because of the price. In watching all this, and also seeing our flights change about once a week, should we be worrying about our upcoming flights? We have only flown once before, so all of this is pretty new. What happens if the pilots walk, or should I even be concerned about this? Thanks!!

NeverEnufDisney

wdwfamilyinil said:
We are using Delta in June, at the time when we booked we didn't realize all the contract problems. We only used Delta because of the price. In watching all this, and also seeing our flights change about once a week, should we be worrying about our upcoming flights? We have only flown once before, so all of this is pretty new. What happens if the pilots walk, or should I even be concerned about this? Thanks!!

We used Delta this Feb and booked 6 months in advance and had the same thing happen to us. We also have booked again for November. The only problem we had was we kept losing our reserved seats and eventually had to call Delta to get them to assign us seats on a flight. The web site would not show any available seats on a flight they had transferred us to. When we called reservations they replied there were available seats and assigned us.

The threat of Delta going out of business is real if the pilots decide to strike. This assumes the pilots do not mind losing their jobs as Delta cannot weather a pilot work stoppage of any length. Most rational observers feel that eventually the pilots and Delta will come to an agreement since it is in both their long term interests.

NeverEnufDisney

Can you lose your money? Yes! I was fortunate to pick up very cheap tickets and was willing to gamble. As for information on this struggle, I've been watching the usatoday.com travel section which has been giving me guidance. There is a columnist, Ben Murtzabaugh which keeps me on top of most of the travel news. He has an online chat at 1 PM ET Tuesdays if you would like to ask him. At this point don't panic, I would guess that whatever happens will happen after mid-April when the arbitrators' decision is handed down. The pilots' union is not crazy if they see that Delta is telling the truth they will negotiate to save jobs.

wdwfamilyinil

I want to say thanks for the info on the usa today. I do have a question what does anyone thing of what the ceo stated today, that delta won't lower what it is asking, but they might talk about the pension. Is this good/bad or indifferent for the survival of delta?

NeverEnufDisney

I wouldn't read much into whatever Delta's CEO or the union's president publicly says. Both have to maintain a negotiating posture and public stance. Behind the scences will be the real stances and both have a ton to lose if this falls through. The real negotiating will begin as the arbitration panel nears a decision. If the union was to strike and Delta goes under, the chance of hooking up with another airline is slim. There are a whole bunch of out of work pilots. The union knows this, Delta knows this and so the hard lines. Neither side wants to trust the arbitration panel since neither is assured of getting their way. Probably both will come to terms with a settlement that neither likes, but can live with. We will see. I know how nervous you are. I flew during the Northwest mechanics strike last summer and wondered if NW could maintain their flights. I was fortunate that they could. Best of luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom