News Flights of Wonder closing and replaced by 'UP! A Great Bird Adventure'

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Yes....they should've been comfortable with it, but they weren't, so it was a bit rough, but I wouldn't call the cast unprepared. Far from it. You have to realize that no matter how prepared you are in "live" theatre, the minute you add in a real audience, it changes. There were times where the audience laughed longer than probably expected, and recorded lines couldn't be heard.
I know a lot about live theatre. Grown up in a touring theatre company, and studying it in college currently. The thing that was noticeably bad about the show comes from 1 of 2 things: Either the cast didn't know their lines very well, so the dialogue from the characters were delayed because they weren't given proper cues, or the tech was delayed because they obviously didn't have a tech week to fix any potential glitches.

It's not a very complex show, either. That's why I'm nitpicking it. It obviously wasn't ready to be performed by opening day.

Biff215

Yes....they should've been comfortable with it, but they weren't, so it was a bit rough, but I wouldn't call the cast unprepared. Far from it. You have to realize that no matter how prepared you are in "live" theatre, the minute you add in a real audience, it changes. There were times where the audience laughed longer than probably expected, and recorded lines couldn't be heard.
Are the recorded lines played automatically? I assumed someone in the sound booth triggered them which would allow it to seem more natural. I realize it would make it tougher on the costumed characters, but at least you could account for audience reaction and the natural behaviors of the birds.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Are the recorded lines played automatically? I assumed someone in the sound booth triggered them which would allow it to seem more natural. I realize it would make it tougher on the costumed characters, but at least you could account for audience reaction and the natural behaviors of the birds.
These pre-recorded lines aren't played automatically. They are sound cues that are followed by specific lines. There are many things that could be wrong. The stage manager, assuming there is one, might not know the show well enough yet to know when to call the cues. The sound technician may still not be used to the sound board. The actors may not be delivering the correct lines. The system could be acting up.

Whatever it is, though, is just unprepared-related.

Sonconato

My family and I haven’t seen the show, however, we have seen the new façade, at night after it closed and all we can say is it’s very garish. It’s totally out of character from the rest of the area and most of the Park. It certainly gives us our first reason for not wanting to see the show, plus, adding more IP characters is moving away from the beauty of the Park which is exactly the same thing that is happening to EPCOT.

Haymarket2008

Saw the show today. Far from terrible. Not great, but enjoyable. The Up characters are pretty pointless, but the show is not deserving of the over reactive responses on these boards lol.

I am Timmy

Well, I guess it's one less thing we'll be doing in AK, just hope it draws more crowds away from the other things we like! My family is so not interested in seeing this, and disappointed the show has less about preservation and conservation. Maybe more will be added as time goes on.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

You cant have a CM making decisions like that the cues were professionally designed in a boardroom by executives ... and by god the lowly cms will follow them or there will be hell to pay

JWG

I didn't like the show. Didn't feel like the Up characters added and more so disrupted the continuity of the show with their forced participation. It turned what seemed like a 10 minute bird show into a 30 minute ordeal.

We saw it opening week, so I'm sure adjustments will be made, but it wasn't anything I'd go back to.

DisneyDebRob

The cast should've been comfortable with everything BEFORE the attraction opened. You don't open up a live show unprepared. It's immediately bound to be bad. It's like they skipped over tech week before the first performance.
It’s why you never go to a new restaurant at Disney or anywhere for that matter until about a month later. No matter how prepared everyone is, things happen. Let them work out the kinks and hopefully it will be more enjoyable. I think we all hope that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom