News Flights of Wonder closing and replaced by 'UP! A Great Bird Adventure'

Kman101

IP in DAK is not blasphemy.

The nearest thing to UPcharged Flights of Wonder is the old Pocahontas show, which I think was cute. Fluff and a filler perhaps, but a fun way to show some animals combined with a way to see a princess in a more dignified way for adults than the kiddie theater of Belle or awkward meet&gropes.

But Pocahontas was part of a toon-ishy land, and FoW is part of Asia.

Also, IP-fication (UP-fication?) is destroying Disney at an alarming rate, this is another nail in the coffin of the WDW the world fell in love with. So by default this plan is a blow to the old skool fans.

I agree with this, to some degree. But you do realize the hundreds of thousands (millions?) of guests who only want IPs and will probably think this is the best thing ever. I sadly believe most of us here are in the minority. Most just won't care. Doesn't make it right, just how I think it is. Many guests think things without characters "isn't Disney enough" and it's a shame they seem to be listening to those fans.

UP in Flights of Wonders doesn't bother me TOO much. But it's a symptom of a bigger problem. I don't think using Russell is the worst idea. There are bigger IP shove-in's that just don't work so I'm not going to get too worked up over this (Guardians comes to mind in Epcot. They can show me as many concept art "pictures" of Star-Lord in Epcot all they want, and even if the ride is fun, it will NEVER fit to me. But I don't have an issue with Ratatouille, for example).

But, if this isn't proof of the "IP's everywhere" concept ... than I don't know what is. Again, I don't mind this too much as I hope it's well done and it doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but again, it's a symptom of a bigger problem.

And it's a shame the exterior of the theater is left like it is. I think it's really ugly. I miss how it was.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
IP in DAK is not blasphemy.

Also, IP-fication (UP-fication?) is destroying Disney at an alarming rate, this is another nail in the coffin of the WDW the world fell in love with. So by default this plan is a blow to the old skool fans.

Not For everyone, just those in a certain age range. For those whose experience predates AK, HS, and Epcot it's nothing new.

Flights of Wonder is a show that was in existence before it appeared in Animal Kingdom. It showed at the Texas State Fair yearly as Birds of the World until 2014 at the band shell.

Ksearcy

I was privileged to see the final Flights of Wonder performances today. A very special thanks goes out to the cast members and everyone involved with the show for making it one of the truly hidden Disney World gems. It was always great to see the birds, and the conservation message presented is part of what Animal Kingdom is all about. The last show, in particular, was an emotional one for many of those long associated with the 19 year run of the show, including the much beloved Guano Joe (who quipped that he would be appearing in the Catskills next week). Best wishes and much appreciation to Cassie, Donna Sue, and all of the veteran trainers!!! Thanks for the hard work and the memories! I hope that Natural Encounters will be involved in the development and presentation of the new show!

Last edited:

JoeCamel

I was privileged to see the final Flights of Wonder performances today. A very special thanks goes out to the cast members and everyone involved with the show for making it one of the truly hidden Disney World gems. It was always great to see the birds, and the conservation message presented is part of what Animal Kingdom is all about. The last show, in particular, was an emotional one for many of those long associated with the 19 year run of the show, including the much beloved Guano Joe (who quipped that he would be appearing in the Catskills next week). Best wishes and much appreciation to Cassie, Donna Sue, and all of the veteran trainers!!! Thanks for the hard work and the memories! I hope that Natural Encounters will be involved in the development and presentation of the new show!
Thanks for the bold assault. So I guess we wait for a reopening?

Disney-Trains

I was at the last 2 shows and agree it was a lovely end. I remember Joe from his days as Roman Holiday at citizens of Hollywood and he really pulled out the stops for the finale show.

es135

I'm very happy I was able to catch the show for my first time a couple weeks ago. I really appreciated the conservation message. These are the kind of experiences that help to round out and enhance your day at the park, so I'm happy to see they are replacing it with a new show. I hope the new one stays true to the pure message of this one!

I am Timmy

We were also able to catch the show a couple weeks ago - not our first time but it had been awhile. Honestly I think the message was well received, the theater was full, and people went up to the stage afterwards to ask questions. The show is still relevant, I hope so very much the new show will be as informative and endearing. We will miss it, but am eager to see what Disney will come up with for a new generation of animal lovers. Their message of conserve and protect has always been prevalent in AK, something my family has enjoyed and appreciated. Guano Joe, you will be missed.

FerretAfros

In the park now, and the theater is already behind walls and crews can be heard working. There is scaffolding covering most of the audience, reaching almost to the height of the roof, which gives me hope they may actually give it some theming again. They certainly aren't wasting time getting started with this!

IMAG01002.jpg

Goofyque'

In the park now, and the theater is already behind walls and crews can be heard working. There is scaffolding covering most of the audience, reaching almost to the height of the roof, which gives me hope they may actually give it some theming again. They certainly aren't wasting time getting started with this!

View attachment 254038

I'm guessing they never finished the theming because they knew a new show was in the works.

Was just going to post a similar picture, and had just said to DH, I bet they didn't put up the Rugs and decorations in anticipation of the new theme. We said goodbye to Guano Joe on the last day. Loved this show, but very excited about the new one. The were actively working on the scaffolding inside already, lots of people even in this cold!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom