Flight of Passage: People of size be warned

DisneyNomad

This bums me out. I am 6'3" and around 300lbs. I came to terms long ago that my thrill-ride-riding days are over at other theme parks. Reading about Disney World (which I haven't been to in 11 years) gave me hope that I'd pretty much fit on anything. With the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train and now Flight of Passage being marked off my list, my fear is that Disney is headed in the direction where attractions aren't accessible to all any longer. I get it. I'm tall and fat. It's still disappointing.

6' 1" 320. Rode twice no issue during Passholder previews. Okay, shouldn't say any issue. Second time I had to straighten my legs. While we waited outside Pandora to enter, a cast member came through and told people how to sit so there would be no issues. Don't know if they are doing that in queue line. Sit up straight, and lean whole torso forward not just lean over with your chest. DON'T put your feet flat, point your toes to keep those calf muscles tight.

TomHendricks

6' 1" 320. Rode twice no issue during Passholder previews. Okay, shouldn't say any issue. Second time I had to straighten my legs. While we waited outside Pandora to enter, a cast member came through and told people how to sit so there would be no issues. Don't know if they are doing that in queue line. Sit up straight, and lean whole torso forward not just lean over with your chest. DON'T put your feet flat, point your toes to keep those calf muscles tight.

I'm 6' 6" and about 300 and mostly legs. I'm also glad to hear about it being accommodating for larger people. I was just out in Disneyland and rode HyperSpace Mountain for the very first time. I have avoided riding Space Mountain, I have a fear of roller coaster. However I loved it, but I barely fit in it because my legs were so cramped. So much so, I don't see how I could ever ride it again. Are the cars in Space Mountain as small?

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes

Thank you for posting... As a person 6 foot and around 300, I have been worried.

becca_

I'm 6' 6" and about 300 and mostly legs. I'm also glad to hear about it being accommodating for larger people. I was just out in Disneyland and rode HyperSpace Mountain for the very first time. I have avoided riding Space Mountain, I have a fear of roller coaster. However I loved it, but I barely fit in it because my legs were so cramped. So much so, I don't see how I could ever ride it again. Are the cars in Space Mountain as small?
I find Space Mountain cars to be slightly cramped and I'm only 5'4, but I know the very first seat has more leg room. Not sure how someone your height fits/feels about the leg room.

Minnie1976

You'd think they would have learnt from the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train fiasco at opening..

I'm a bigish guy and I fit on everything so far however at Universal the other year I couldn't get the restraint to click all the way on the Hulk coaster so they called over a strong emplyee to push down on me to get it to finally click which it did but I've never been so embarrassed and never want that kind of thing to happen again, so might just have to avoid this new ride altogether.
Yes, it is very embarrassing. You would think with the size of people they would build according. You shouldn't have to worry if you have long legs, big thighs, overweight. I don't ever remember that problem before the last few years. Are they trying to save money and skimp?

Rodan75

Well most of my weight is in my legs and hips so I guess it's a no for me.

Honestly. Ask the cast for tips on sitting in the chair. Both the test seat CM and the line CMs.

My first attempt, I thought there was no way I would ever ride it. My legs didn't fit and I couldn't press against the seat any more, and I thought they would hurt my back pressing on it.

Then, with some coaching I was able to ride twice with no issues, barely a quick check to make sure the leg restraint locked. And inches to spare in my waist.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

Bless your little heart. I am a tiny person and reading your kind instructions for others will help many. Still I read all that and think it should not be that difficult for any person of size to ride.

I had read yesterday that tall, not overweight father and son Memorial Day weekend had to sit out the attraction as they were 6'8" Very disappointed after hours and hours of waiting in queue. I struggle to see how this was a good design.

Jon81uk

Yes, it is very embarrassing. You would think with the size of people they would build according. You shouldn't have to worry if you have long legs, big thighs, overweight. I don't ever remember that problem before the last few years. Are they trying to save money and skimp?

I don't think its ablout saving money, but if they made the system bigger then it would exclude children. The only way they could potentially please all would be to offer one "big" seat per row or similar, like is done on some rollercoaster (Hulk & Dueling Dragons both do).

21stamps

Bless your little heart. I am a tiny person and reading your kind instructions for others will help many. Still I read all that and think it should not be that difficult for any person of size to ride.

I had read yesterday that tall, not overweight father and son Memorial Day weekend had to sit out the attraction as they were 6'8" Very disappointed after hours and hours of waiting in queue. I struggle to see how this was a good design.

6'8. Now imagine 46" or 48" whatever the restriction is.. it would be near impossible to design a ride of that type which could comfortably, and safely, fit both.
Disney should have had a test seat out from opening, glad they have one now. Hopefully that will avoid any similar scenario in the future.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
6'8. Now imagine 46" or 48" whatever the restriction is.. it would be near impossible to design a ride of that type which could comfortably, and safely, fit both.
Disney should have had a test seat out from opening, glad they have one now. Hopefully that will avoid any similar scenario in the future.
Technically, they did. There is a reason they call them soft openings and previews.

You can test, trouble shoot and brain storm to your hearts content, but nothing tests a product like throwing a few thousand random people at it.

21stamps

Technically, they did. There is a reason they call them soft openings and previews.

You can test, trouble shoot and brain storm to your hearts content, but nothing tests a product like throwing a few thousand random people at it.

True, but they had to know somewhat. Either the problem was more than just the person's height, or- that height can not be accommodated. If it's just the height as the problem, then Disney should have known that, and they should have had a 'minimum/maximum' posted somewhere, the same as every other amusement park.

I don't know the full story, so obviously I can't say for sure that height was the only factor.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
True, but they had to know somewhat. Either the problem was more than just the person's height, or- that height can not be accommodated. If it's just the height as the problem, then Disney should have known that, and they should have had a 'minimum/maximum' posted somewhere, the same as every other amusement park.

I don't know the full story, so obviously I can't say for sure that height was the only factor.
It is quite possible that they did not anticipate the problem as the height and girth that seems to be an issue make up less than 2% (and that is being generous) of the population.

21stamps

It is quite possible that they did not anticipate the problem as the height and girth that seems to be an issue make up less than 2% (and that is being generous) of the population.

I have not checked. Do you know if a maximum height has been posted on the website or at the park? If not, then I find it hard to believe that height would be the only issue, or that Disney would not post it somewhere if it is.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have not checked. Do you know if a maximum height has been posted on the website or at the park? If not, then I find it hard to believe that height would be the only issue, or that Disney would not post it somewhere if it is.
Not that I know of. From the reports, it does not sound like height is really the issue. You also are not going generally going to set a height limit unless there is a safety issue. (eg 6'-7" or greater rider will hit a crossbar)

When it comes to restraints, you typically have a height minimum (below the height and it will not work) and that is it. The upper end of that scale sort of falls in a "does the rider physically fit" kind of specification. The common restrain systems we see (lap bar, shoulder restrain, seat belt) and are much more forgiving. The restraint system of FoW is relativity new and just does not have the wiggle room the others have.

21stamps

Not that I know of. From the reports, it does not sound like height is really the issue. You also are not going generally going to set a height limit unless there is a safety issue. (eg 6'-7" or greater rider will hit a crossbar)

When it comes to restraints, you typically have a height minimum (below the height and it will not work) and that is it. The upper end of that scale sort of falls in a "does the rider physically fit" kind of specification. The common restrain systems we see (lap bar, shoulder restrain, seat belt) and are much more forgiving. The restraint system of FoW is relativity new and just does not have the wiggle room the others have.

Cedar Fair parks definitely have maximum height restrictions on several of their attractions, coasters and otherwise. They do have them available on the website app and posted at the park, before opening day.

The only thing I can think of in the Disney scenario is that it isn't just height.

ETA- I have seen people who fit the height parameters, and can't go on due to weight, Cedar Fair tries to warn people as much as possible, but no park, not even Disney world, can be expected to know every single scenario ahead of time

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom