Flight of Passage: People of size be warned

Rodan75

Twitter seems to be quiet on this topic during softs today and I'm not seeing general freak out online. So I can't imagine that the 20% number is holding. Or they aren't letting larger folks on today.

Imagineerdad

That's me! (of course I'll be there in DECEMBER, and if 25% of people still can't ride by then this will be a much bigger story than just on this forum, lol)
Hello all...just joined this Forum after a Google searching 'Flight of Passage weight issues'. After being shut out at 9:00am we came back for our Fast Pass at 9:00pm. Incredibly designed Land. Kudos to the team who did the theming. Opening day the park was at capacity and closed mid-day. Extra Magic Hours started at 11:00 so we were able to experience FOP. Well, my wife was. I'm a 6'0" man in my early '60's. I weigh 305 with much of my weight in my thighs and calfs. So after trying as many gyrations on the cycle I was a no-go.

My takeaway is this. If you have muscular calves and larger feet (I'm a size 13 wide) you may not fit. I didn't have issue with the back restraint but no matter what I did with my feet or legs the cm was not able to get the leg restraint to lock. I can fit on 7dMT. Not here. So guys with strong/big legs be careful you may not fit. So disappointed and embarrassed

Rodan75

Hello all...just joined this Forum after a Google searching 'Flight of Passage weight issues'. After being shut out at 9:00am we came back for our Fast Pass at 9:00pm. Incredibly designed Land. Kudos to the team who did the theming. Opening day the park was at capacity and closed mid-day. Extra Magic Hours started at 11:00 so we were able to experience FOP. Well, my wife was. I'm a 6'0" man in my early '60's. I weigh 305 with much of my weight in my thighs and calfs. So after trying as many gyrations on the cycle I was a no-go.

My takeaway is this. If you have muscular calves and larger feet (I'm a size 13 wide) you may not fit. I didn't have issue with the back restraint but no matter what I did with my feet or legs the cm was not able to get the leg restraint to lock. I can fit on 7dMT. Not here. So guys with strong/big legs be careful you may not fit. So disappointed and embarrassed

Don't be embarrassed Disney designed some weird restraints for this one...apparently they assume everyone skips Leg Day.

Rodan75

So...the test seat isn't 100% accurate. I passed on the test seat but barely failed to get the third click on the ride.

There were plenty of folks more round than myself but shorter who were fine. As well as folks who are taller with less junk in the trunk who were also fine.

To put into sizes for men, If you are over 6'2" with a 32" inseam with a dress shirt collar size of 20"+ you are likely going to have a challenge. And I think you have wiggle room of 2-3 inches in each measurement that would allow you to fit. That obviously that isn't definitive, but should provide insight.

If you are less than all of these you should be fine. And I think that covers at least 90% of the public.

I get the feeling that if they would have added 2 more inches to the depth of the leg box, they could accommodate most of those that don't fit currently.

Movielover

I get the feeling that if they would have added 2 more inches to the depth of the leg box, they could accommodate most of those that don't fit currently.

Also by the looks of it maybe if those leg restraints were curved inwards, allowing them to "cup" the leg rather than just press against it? I won't truly know until I ride it myself but I will say that I can't ride FJ or any B&M coaster (Hulk/Dragon Challenge/etc), I've been fine with everything else.

Lets Respect

Unfortunately, they can't just add inches. Then the small people will fall out including kids

It's too bad they don't have an area where you can just watch it with the glasses on. Despicable Me at Universal has that as an option

Rodan75

Unfortunately, they can't just add inches. Then the small people will fall out including kids

It's too bad they don't have an area where you can just watch it with the glasses on. Despicable Me at Universal has that as an option

Oh yeah. I kinda understand. The risk of folks who would stand if they weren't 100% locked in is far greater than the percentage that don't fit.

I have to imagine we are talking 2-3% of all visitors won't fit.

Josh Greenberg

6ft2, 285, carry weight mostly in gut...I was able to ride on Saturday. The test seat was okay but the CM told me it ultimately would be up to the folks loading the ride.

I had read about issues with legroom and wore sandals instead of running shoes, figuring I'd get an extra inch or so if I had to curl my toes. Turned out it was not necessary. The leg restraints were fine. I have a 30" inseam and regular-sized calves.

It was a tight fit for the back restraint and oddly enough I only heard one click. I bet the restraint might have pushed another inch or two without a problem. 52" chest.

Kudos to Disney for coming up with a themed test seat which is pretty discreet. And the one guy I saw who was turned away already thought he wouldn't fit. The CM was sympathetic.

Ultimately it's about dimensions and I suspect that you could come up with some guidelines...i.e., chest about 56", inseam greater than 34", calf size greater than...etc. Pandora-themed tape measures?

geekza

This bums me out. I am 6'3" and around 300lbs. I came to terms long ago that my thrill-ride-riding days are over at other theme parks. Reading about Disney World (which I haven't been to in 11 years) gave me hope that I'd pretty much fit on anything. With the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train and now Flight of Passage being marked off my list, my fear is that Disney is headed in the direction where attractions aren't accessible to all any longer. I get it. I'm tall and fat. It's still disappointing.

AEfx

Ultimately it's about dimensions and I suspect that you could come up with some guidelines...i.e., chest about 56", inseam greater than 34", calf size greater than...etc. Pandora-themed tape measures?

I think that's what is so silly. I can excuse Universal because of the arm mechanism on Potter, but I can't excuse Disney on this both because of the size and disability issue. These are purpose-built simulators that they clearly did a lot of testing and development on. I cannot fathom why they did not add an alternate bay with a different seating arrangement.

Have they never been on ET at Universal? That's how you do something like this when you want to offer a unique ride vehicle experience that is clearly going to be a challenge for some. You offer an alternative seating arrangement with greater accessibility. With the money reportedly spent, I would have rather they spent a bit more on that and a bit less on interactive plants you can stroke and "stimulate" to eject "germination seeds".

It's really unforgivable to me that they spent this lavishly and didn't design an alternate bay with all this in mind. Genuinely disappointed in them as a company. And now a bit worried about Star Wars - if the rumored board/get off/reboard vehicle thing is true, who knows how they will deal with it.

JaxFLBear

This bums me out. I am 6'3" and around 300lbs. I came to terms long ago that my thrill-ride-riding days are over at other theme parks. Reading about Disney World (which I haven't been to in 11 years) gave me hope that I'd pretty much fit on anything. With the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train and now Flight of Passage being marked off my list, my fear is that Disney is headed in the direction where attractions aren't accessible to all any longer. I get it. I'm tall and fat. It's still disappointing.
I'm also 6'3" and 300 pounds and didn't have any issues with the FoP restraints during the AP previews last month.

geekza

I'm also 6'3" and 300 pounds and didn't have any issues with the FoP restraints during the AP previews last month.
That great to hear. I suppose it is worth a shot. It isn't like I'd be missing out on a whole lot else in DAK whilst waiting in the queue and, I must say, the queue seems visually impressive and almost an attraction in and of itself. I'll be sure and post my results when I get back, though we aren't going until the weekend after Labor Day. NOT SOON ENOUGH FOR ME!!!

Rodan75

I'm bigger than that and can ride seven dwarves and I have big legs. Leg thickness means everything on that one.

Rodan75

6ft2, 285, carry weight mostly in gut...I was able to ride on Saturday. The test seat was okay but the CM told me it ultimately would be up to the folks loading the ride.

I had read about issues with legroom and wore sandals instead of running shoes, figuring I'd get an extra inch or so if I had to curl my toes. Turned out it was not necessary. The leg restraints were fine. I have a 30" inseam and regular-sized calves.

It was a tight fit for the back restraint and oddly enough I only heard one click. I bet the restraint might have pushed another inch or two without a problem. 52" chest.

Kudos to Disney for coming up with a themed test seat which is pretty discreet. And the one guy I saw who was turned away already thought he wouldn't fit. The CM was sympathetic.

I think the size of your butt makes a big difference as well. You have to achieve an angle at your waist that is driven by the rest of your dimensions. I think they could provide clear advance guidance if they wanted to.

That Guy

I'm 6'4 and 330. Rode this without a problem twice yesterday, so don't give up hope. I have been living in fear since this thread opened that I would be a no-go. This seat is more comfortable than the Mine Train for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom