Flight of Passage Changes

graphite1326

Two things:

Preshow video has changed. The section where there is a “problem encountered” with the matching system and the “standby system” is activated “quickly” has been cut. At the end of the video you now have a 15 second countdown to unlock the door to the next preshow room.

Second thing is the vibration feedback in the link chairs seems to have been turned off. I rode it twice (same theater) and both times during the initial linking where the chair previously provided the vibrations, it no longer did so.
I was just on this ride 4 different times. One preshow did not have the "problem encountered" and did not have the parasite removal sequence. However, the other 3 rides did have all.

Marc Davis Fan

I think the pre-ride vibration adds a lot to the sense of anticipation. I've been wondering when it would stop working :-(

For those who rode with the vibration not working, do you feel that it reduced the sense of anticipation, and have a negative impact on the immersion?

I hope they find a way to maintain this effect. It's a fantastic detail that makes the experience seem just that much more realistic...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I think the pre-ride vibration adds a lot to the sense of anticipation. I've been wondering when it would stop working :-(

For those who rode with the vibration not working, do you feel that it reduced the sense of anticipation, and have a negative impact on the immersion?

I hope they find a way to maintain this effect. It's a fantastic detail that makes the experience seem just that much more realistic...
At least it's not as ... unsettling ... as the effects in ITtbaB!

Chef Mickey

I like that the preshow elements can scale and program dynamically, but I'm not especially partial to the preshow on the whole, particularly the acting therein. Whether it was the performance or the direction, the tone just strikes me as oddly awkward, but not in a natural way, and it doesn't serve to build excitement for the ride proper. I wouldn't mind at all if much of it were replaced.
The acting is pretty awful and awkward.

crxbrett

The acting is pretty awful and awkward.

Yeah, the guy has very weird pauses and super awkward delivery of his lines and seems to stammer. It's just really bad acting overall. But I like to make fun of it when I see it, so it has kind of added to the fun of going on it now. At least for me lol

He's still much better than the mission control guy on Mission Space's pre-show video - that guy's acting is as wooden and stiff as a sequoia!

Sans Souci

I thought the pre show dude is supposed to be some postdoctoral, social maladroit who is not used to interacting with people--playing up the stereotype of the awkward science nerd?

...or maybe he just sucks. :p

Marc Davis Fan

I thought the pre show dude is supposed to be some postdoctoral, social maladroit who is not used to interacting with people--playing up the stereotype of the awkward science nerd?

...or maybe he just sucks. :p

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but... I really think your first guess is right. The pre-show acting is totally deliberate, and precisely the fact that he’s awkward, and doesn’t seem like he should be doing public speaking, is what makes it feel like he’s a real researcher who’s talking to you live. Looking at it that way, I think the pre-show is fantastic.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but... I really think your first guess is right. The pre-show acting is totally deliberate, and precisely the fact that he’s awkward, and doesn’t seem like he should be doing public speaking, is what makes it feel like he’s a real researcher who’s talking to you live. Looking at it that way, I think the pre-show is fantastic.

I agree, he is supposed to be spur of the moment, walking you through it live, with pauses and huhs. Very purposely so.

That is in contradistinction to Dr. Totally-not-Sigourney-Weaver whose pre-taped spiel is smooth.

And it's been said many times because it's true: The segments of pre-show are as short or as long as they need to be depending how quickly the people in the theater ahead of you can get out. If there were no pre-show, you'd be waiting the same amount of time to enter the theater. The hmmms and huhs of Dr. Stevens is to allow cut-aways to time-filling sequences. If your group doesn't need the parasite or the genetic scanning sequences, then you don't see them. If the time needs to stretch, you get extra-long genetic scanning that cycles through several visual FX.

[Just rode it today... five more times, all FPs, before I leave this week... :) ]

Marc Davis Fan

Just rode it today... five more times, all FPs, before I leave this week... :)

Wow, nice job on the FP selection :cool:

Do you recall how often the seat vibration effect worked? And if there were times when it didn't, how would you judge its lack to have impacted the experience (especially the sense of anticipation)?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Wow, nice job on the FP selection :cool:

Do you recall how often the seat vibration effect worked? And if there were times when it didn't, how would you judge its lack to have impacted the experience (especially the sense of anticipation)?

No vibrations today, and we were waiting in the chairs for a bit before it started.

Didn't really miss them...

geekza

Sigh. If only they'd make a few slightly larger ride vehicles for those of us who are blessed with an ample badonkadonk... and, maybe, a big gut and thighs, but I admit nothing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom