Flight Delays and Cancellations Due To Weather

Surf Fish2285

Original Poster
I understand that my up coming trip in September is during the end of hurricane season. The only thing that really concerns me is that my flight into MCO will be delayed or cancelled.

I can deal with the rain in the parks during the vacation, and I really don’t care I my flight out is delayed or even cancelled (More time to spend in Florida).

My question is how often are flight cancelled and or delayed in Florida during hurricane season? Also since I am here asking questions, are the parks ever closed due to hurricanes and or bad weather? I know WDW is really far inland, but does it ever happen? If so what does Disney do for there guest?

Thanks in advance.:cool:

RedBaron

I understand that my up coming trip in September is during the end of hurricane season. The only thing that really concerns me is that my flight into MCO will be delayed or cancelled.

I can deal with the rain in the parks during the vacation, and I really don’t care I my flight out is delayed or even cancelled (More time to spend in Florida).

My question is how often are flight cancelled and or delayed in Florida during hurricane season? Also since I am here asking questions, are the parks ever closed due to hurricanes and or bad weather? I know WDW is really far inland, but does it ever happen? If so what does Disney do for there guest?

Thanks in advance.:cool:

I know your trip is during hurricane season and anything can happen but probably wont. I have only gone to WDW in Sept. or Oct. and have never had any serious weather conditions that caused any flight problems. I will also be there in early September and hope the weather will be just as good as it has been in the past. Just keep your fingers crossed.

Champion

Possibly.

Ok.

My question is how often are flight cancelled and or delayed in Florida during hurricane season?

If there is a major storm (depression and up, basically) over your flight path, you won't be flying.

Also since I am here asking questions, are the parks ever closed due to hurricanes and or bad weather? I know WDW is really far inland, but does it ever happen?

Yes, it happens. For storms, I believe it is a total of 4 days now the parks have closed, all since 2001.

If so what does Disney do for there guest?

Make sure you are comfortable while you are there. If the storm is above the property or coming and the parks are closed, you will mostly be confined to your resort room. If you're looking for free stuff, well, besides characters being at your resort, you aren't going to get much.

BTW, can you please use the default font from now on? Thanks.

mcstensrud

We were at the BWV For hurricane Jeanne a few years back,and we had to stay in our hotel for at least 24 Hrs.

They had Goofy and Max there for the kids and we could pay to eat at a buffett at the convention center.

The parks closed early the night before and opened up the day after.
There was some obvious damage,Like flooding At the living seas, alot of branches down and some light poles down at the Boardwalk.

It is the luck of the draw!

We go back every september anyway.It just added to the excitement!
The kids can say they lived through a Fla. hurricane.

Have Fun and No worries:wave:

rcapolete

I was there in Spet. of 2005. W eleft during a Hurricane. MCO was great with getting us out of there before they closed.
I am going the same time this year cause i see it as a very small possiblity

jodiey

I'm thinking about going this September 13 - 17. I am one of those people that just does not enjoy going to the parks in the rain. Does it rain just about every? Does the rain last all day? I'm used to going in May when there is very minimal rain (except for the last time we went when it rained the last 5 days of our trip straight)

Champion

I'm thinking about going this September 13 - 17. I am one of those people that just does not enjoy going to the parks in the rain. Does it rain just about every? Does the rain last all day? I'm used to going in May when there is very minimal rain (except for the last time we went when it rained the last 5 days of our trip straight)

During the rainy season, you can count on a storm to happen in the afternoon to last between a few minutes and a couple of hours basically every day.

PigletIsMyCat

Hurrican season is from June 1st to November 1st. It is less likely that there will be a major hurricane in September than in August, but it still can happen. The best (well, actually, the only good) thing about hurricanes is that there is some warning about the general area of impact. If it looks like a hurricane is heading for FL, you can try to get an earlier flight or later flight (coming or going) but the airlines will NOT FLY when a hurricane or major depression is imminent. MCO is good about watching the weather during hurricane season, but attempting to give some kind of average of how many flights are delayed and/or cancelled due to storms is impossible, as each hurricane season varies differently - we've already had our first named 'subtropical depression' this year, and it's the first week of May.

The parks WILL CLOSE during hurricanes or any storm with major and close lightening strikes. Even when the parks close, there will be Cast Members at the resorts around the clock (they get some killer 'hurricane pay') and they will try to have things to keep guests occupied. If you have your own car, you will not be forced to stay in the resort, but it's the best idea.

As for the rainy season down here, there will be rain every day. Every. Day. It will be a miracle if it does not rain for a period of time every day. And during August and September last year, we had thunderstorms every night. Every single night, and during DH's drive home from work, too. Most storms seem to last at least 15 minutes, but not usually more than an hour. If the parks close, it's for a good reason. Safety. More often than not, a couple of rides might close for a period of time, and you should find some shelter. It's important to remember that Orlando is the lightening capital of the US, and I remember storms last summer/fall where they would chart 1400+ strikes in like a 30 minute period.

BTW, 600th post!!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

ToTBellHop

Of course during hurricanes and tropical storms, flights are canceled. They are canceled during the afternoon thunderstorms that happen every day in summer, as well. The parks don't really close during Tropical Storms, but any direct hit by a hurricane will see the parks closed. However, Disney does plan activities for guests at the Resort Hotels on such days. With the airlines the way they are now, you can get royally screwed by canceled flights these days. Most airlines refuse to help you find flights elsewhere and for all of the big blizzards this winter, people were routinely stuck in Florida for upwards of 5 days or even a week. I'm not at all pleased with the airlines in 2007...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom