Flamingo Crossing Retail Center

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
South Florida Water Management District permit for a Walgreen at Flamingo Crossing.

ryguy

That’s how bubbles work in the swamp...

Slashing prices and tumbleweeds soon enough
Yeah I remember back in 08,09 how bad the neighborhoods were by the old splendid china. Very tumbleweedy. What's mind boggling is the cost of housing. Many of the homes in these new neighborhoods start at 3 or 4 hundred thousand. Over by Orange County National golf course is amazing how much building is going on. Use to be in the sticks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah I remember back in 08,09 how bad the neighborhoods were by the old splendid china. Very tumbleweedy. What's mind boggling is the cost of housing. Many of the homes in these new neighborhoods start at 3 or 4 hundred thousand. Over by Orange County National golf course is amazing how much building is going on. Use to be in the sticks.
Because people are stupid...they’re falling for it again.

Never buy a house in a boom in florida. Period

MrPromey

Photo update as of Sunday, October 6, 2019. This construction is on the north side of Flagler Avenue, west of Flamingo Crossings Blvd. I was led to believe this was a retail area, but now that these buildings are several stories high, it appears to be housing.

View attachment 416572

View attachment 416573

Towards the end, where Flagler Avenue makes a left curve, this building appears to be a hotel with balconies. The building on the left appears to be a parking garage.

View attachment 416575

If that first photo is indeed housing and not a hotel, I'm impressed that it's at least not a "matchstick" structure.

... BTW, if you click the link and just look at the photos in the article, you won't understand the reference. ;)

meyeet

Just noticed that a permit was first filed for this in December of 2011.
September was our first time out at Flamingo Crossing and I was shocked that there is really nothing there yet. After all this talk about what is going there I would have thought more would be built by now.

lazyboy97o

If that first photo is indeed housing and not a hotel, I'm impressed that it's at least not a "matchstick" structure.

... BTW, if you click the link and just look at the photos in the article, you won't understand the reference. ;)
Don’t be, CMU is still very much the “matchstick” of Florida.

I'm going to need some proof of that. The WDW experience was to cut the place off from the outside world and Walt himself said it was up to the government to build the roads. As far as in the resort yes, anything outside of the resort no. Walt didn't want want any non Disney sprawl to interfere.
The proof is in the designs.

I think it’s good to remember that a big piece of this build is to provide brand new Cast housing. Those Cast will need Target and Walgreens across the street to buy groceries and get medicine.
That doesn’t require building boxes in a sea of asphalt.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I would not be too impressed. The choice to build with block is often dictated by the wind code. Once you get into central Florida, it becomes less expensive to build with block and meet code than to build with wood and meet code.

prberk

I'm going to need some proof of that. The WDW experience was to cut the place off from the outside world and Walt himself said it was up to the government to build the roads. As far as in the resort yes, anything outside of the resort no. Walt didn't want want any non Disney sprawl to interfere.

Have you seen the "EPCOT" film in its entirety? It is available on YouTube and other places. It was filmed before Walt died and released to Florida soon after. So it is direct proof of the plans Walt and the company had for The Florida Project at the time of his death and just after. The Experimental Prototype City/Community of Tomorrow was to be a people-centered, mass-transit community, including resort areas.

cheezbat

I’m so sick of everyone moving down here...my neighborhood was out in the country...now it’s urban sprawl with more on the way. Prices for everything keep going up because of it. Makes me want to move.

MrPromey

I would not be too impressed. The choice to build with block is often dictated by the wind code. Once you get into central Florida, it becomes less expensive to build with block and meet code than to build with wood and meet code.

Really? In the Tampa Bay area, they can't seem to get those wooden ones up fast enough. You can always see them coming because you see the odd cement towers for the elevators pop up a month or so before the wood starts rising.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom