Flame Tree BBQ - beware!

TB4244

Original Poster
we're currently at DAK and have had lunch at FTB. I ordered up the mixed green salad with chicken and Mrs TB4244 had the pulled pork sandwich. It's only after you order it and you have either the food or the receipt in your hands that you're made aware that the salad is brimming with pecan nuts. It's actually listed as an 'apple pecan salad'.
I am really, really allergic to all nuts, so much so that I carry an epipen everywhere I go.
Nowhere on the menu cards or the menu above the registers does it state that it contains either apple or pecans. I went straight to guest relations to inform them and I was assured that a report would be filed.

I was offered a qs credit but that wasn't the point of my complaint. I wanted to make sure that no one with an allergy orders that meal and suffers what potentially could be a fatal anaphylaxctic attack.

So folks with allergies, pay close attention to what you order - your life could depend on it!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Interesting. Its listed with pecans on the app menu. I wonder why its not on the menu board.

IMG_1705.PNG

TB4244

Original Poster
Exactly something I just pointed out to them. It's okay if you're going to stand in line and look it up but there is absolutely no warning or information on any of the signage or menu sheets there at all.

DisneyPrincess5

Wow, good work bringing it to someone's attention. As someone with a shellfish allergy, I appreciate your diligence in making this issue known! Super bad news if someone ingests their allergen. The nut thing is even worse as some cannot even be near them.

TB4244

Original Poster
I thought it was important to point out to the powers that be. I am actually surprised that there are no warnings as that could lead to someone suing them.

mousehockey37

I thought it was important to point out to the powers that be. I am actually surprised that there are no warnings as that could lead to someone suing them.

We always ask questions regardless of whether it's posted or not. My DGF is the girl in the bubble and she's got just about every box checked on the allergen list for ADR's. To add to that, she also is allergic to latex, so we ask questions about the food and then questions about what type of sanitary gloves are used by CM's that are preparing the food. There are places that we used to go to and we can't anymore. FYI - Earl of Sandwich (last we knew) uses latex gloves when preparing food.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
we're currently at DAK and have had lunch at FTB. I ordered up the mixed green salad with chicken and Mrs TB4244 had the pulled pork sandwich. It's only after you order it and you have either the food or the receipt in your hands that you're made aware that the salad is brimming with pecan nuts. It's actually listed as an 'apple pecan salad'.
I am really, really allergic to all nuts, so much so that I carry an epipen everywhere I go.

I was offered a qs credit but that wasn't the point of my complaint. I wanted to make sure that no one with an allergy orders that meal and suffers what potentially could be a fatal anaphylaxctic attack.

So folks with allergies, pay close attention to what you order - your life could depend on it!

Not to be snarky, but if your allergy to nuts is so great that it requires epinephrine to stave off of anaphylactic shock , you should be asking for, and using the allergy menu for any of the locations you eat at. Ordering off of the menu is Russian roulette as with the normal menu items there are not any steps to prevent cross contamination.

Belle_MTL

Is it also listed as being nut free on the allergy menu? My son has several allergies and we don't bother looking at the regular menu. We always ask for the allergy menu and order off of that.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Not to dismiss the issue of the allergy, because that is totally serious, but why did you go to Guest Relations right away? Did you talk to a manager at the Flame Tree? If so what did they have to say or do for you? I understand wanting to report it at Guest Relations too, but I'm assuming you were hungry and wanted a meal at that moment. Why not take issue with it first at the restaurant?

TB4244

Original Poster
Not to be snarky, but if your allergy to nuts is so great that it requires epinephrine to stave off of anaphylactic shock , you should be asking for, and using the allergy menu for any of the locations you eat at. Ordering off of the menu is Russian roulette as with the normal menu items there are not any steps to prevent cross contamination.
You make a good point. I must admit I hadn't thought of asking for an allergy menu at a qs location. I always check them for table service, but I figured that something listed as a chicken salad on both the menu and signage would be okay. I was just really surprised that it turned up laden with pecans and was printed as something completely different on the receipt.
I guess I shouldn't presume that food is nut free. I won't make that mistake again.

TB4244

Original Poster
Is it also listed as being nut free on the allergy menu? My son has several allergies and we don't bother looking at the regular menu. We always ask for the allergy menu and order off of that.
I hadn't seen the allergy menu unfortunately. Argh.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I was interested to see if the OP had missed something in the signage so I went to look at the pictures I took for the menu in June. And yep, no mention of nuts in the salad at all. Maybe in the picture but tough to see in the picture. I am thinking the sign is probably still the same. That probably should be noted for allergies even if people should ask or ask for an allergen menu, but sometimes people are just hungry too.

IMG_9571.JPG
IMG_9572.JPG

TB4244

Original Poster
Not to dismiss the issue of the allergy, because that is totally serious, but why did you go to Guest Relations right away? Did you talk to a manager at the Flame Tree? If so what did they have to say or do for you? I understand wanting to report it at Guest Relations too, but I'm assuming you were hungry and wanted a meal at that moment. Why not take issue with it first at the restaurant?
The line for the restaurant was horrendous, I had already returned to the counter to pick up milk for my hot tea and I was ignored by CMs several times. So I gave up trying to get any attention there and took my issue to guest relations instead. Maybe it would have been better to speak to the manager? I have emailed Disney to raise the complaint so I will see what the response is.

TB4244

Original Poster
I was interested to see if the OP had missed something in the signage so I went to look at the pictures I took for the menu in June. And yep, no mention of nuts in the salad at all. Maybe in the picture but tough to see in the picture. I am thinking the sign is probably still the same. That probably should be noted for allergies even if people should ask or ask for an allergen menu, but sometimes people are just hungry too.

View attachment 173654 View attachment 173655
The signage is still the same. I took pictures of that and the menu to show guest relations (and also to reassure myself that I hadn't missed a hugely obvious warning)

Minnie Mum

OP, I'm sorry that you had this issue, but no one with a severe food allergy should ever ASSUME that a product is free of their particular allergen(s), no matter what the regular menu states. ALWAYS inform your server of your allergy, or ask for the allergy menu (or the food binder at CS places). As previously mentioned, cross contamination is also a possibility if ordering from the regular menu. ALWAYS ask first.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom