Fixes for the Haunted Mansion

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

If it such an awful thing, why is the line so long and why have they done it for so many years? The vast majority of DL visitors love it.
simple. because people love nightmare before Christmas so much. the ip is the only reason. if they built a standalone NBC ride like they should have done years ago that ride would have same amount of lines but just because something is popular does not make it good. look at the transformers and fast and the furious movies. the overlay has destroyed the hard work the classic imagineers and walt put into the attraction. this was their tribute to walt since he died before it opened. they did their best to make it how he would have wanted it. it is like when your mentor dies and you have to continue on. it shows you what the imagineers were capable on their own and it was beautiful. now it has all this junk on the beautiful exterior and has completely changed the original meaning of the interior to a interior that makes no sense.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

If there is room for this monstrosity, then there is room for that.

Banner.jpg
AHHH! BURN IT!!!! SEND IT H-E-L-L!!!!!!

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Conceptually, making the load area a purely transitional room- with the intent of making it seem endless- is amazing for the reasons outlined by @mickEblu above.

Disney World's is just a normal room- like any other in the Mansion and looks ridiculous with a long line of Omnimovers inside it.

No normal mansion has a ride running through it, so of course the room you board should be unlike any you'd find in a normal mansion, or even a stereotypical Haunted House. And of course that entire room should be designed to act as a transition- not just from the walking portion to the omnimover, but from the living world to the spirit one.

Another often ignored aspect of Disneyland's loading area are the gryphons found at the bottom of the "staircase". This Long Forgotten blog sums it up nicely: Cherubic Gateways.

The amount of symbolism and detail in such a seemingly mundane area of the ride is testament to the quality of the experience. I'd kill for Disney to make a ride that comes close to what the Mansion has to offer.

Many of the effects and illusions used in the Mansion are 19 century creations that could be considered "dated" even in 1969. The figures were often lower functionality then Pirates- which had opened 2 years prior. Many of the illusions are simple lighting effects. But by pulling from a rich area of study like the paranormal- and combining the unique artistic talents of Anderson, Crump, Davis, Coates, and Atencio- the Mansion was able to create an experience that transcended beyond a simple "hey, look what we have the ability to do" type attraction.
GOD I love this post soo much. you said that perfectly and beautifully.

kjb101791

I think he was referring to the NBC overlay as being disappointing not the classic version of the mansion
Right, I love the original (at least WDW- haven't seen DL without NBC). I can't argue that the line for it is long, other than speculate or hope that it is a vocal minority and perhaps that people still want to go on it around Halloween. Nightmare Before Christmas has a cult following which at least has to be a factor. Does the line stay just as long up to Christmas (relative to other lines during the busy season)?

Phroobar

Original Poster
Right, I love the original (at least WDW- haven't seen DL without NBC). I can't argue that the line for it is long, other than speculate or hope that it is a vocal minority and perhaps that people still want to go on it around Halloween. Nightmare Before Christmas has a cult following which at least has to be a factor. Does the line stay just as long up to Christmas (relative to other lines during the busy season)?
In the past the only time fast pass was used was for HMH.

Professortango1

Redo the narration/music to have a grander build. Loved the HM music they created for the Remember Dreams Come True fireworks, it felt much more fleshed out and less dated. One of the reasons I like HMH is the improved narration/music that comes with it. The entire attraction builds till the end.

Professortango1

simple. because people love nightmare before Christmas so much. the ip is the only reason. if they built a standalone NBC ride like they should have done years ago that ride would have same amount of lines but just because something is popular does not make it good. look at the transformers and fast and the furious movies. the overlay has destroyed the hard work the classic imagineers and walt put into the attraction. this was their tribute to walt since he died before it opened. they did their best to make it how he would have wanted it. it is like when your mentor dies and you have to continue on. it shows you what the imagineers were capable on their own and it was beautiful. now it has all this junk on the beautiful exterior and has completely changed the original meaning of the interior to a interior that makes no sense.

I'm not a Nightmare Before Christmas fanboy, but I really enjoy HMH. They did an amazing job with the layover and it has a great energy to it rather than the more subdued regular HM. I go to Disneyland every Halloweentime for the sole purpose of riding HMH as it embodies Halloween to me. You might not like it, but that doesn't mean it isn't done well.

righttrack

This is one ride they do not need to do much to, except keep it running well and spruced up. You always run the risk with this being too scary or not scary enough. Keeping it somewhat predictable and classic is what keeps people going on it.

CraftyFox

The graveyard scene needs a bit of an update. It’s really showing its age. Not only have quite a few of the animatronics been either missing or static recently, but the lighting is really bad. With the dirty scrim, I can’t see more than 5 feet in front of me in there.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Despite it being my favorite attraction, I'm 100% in favor of the Mansion not returning in early January (as has been speculated on here before) so that post-HMH they can truly spruce it up and make it its best form for its 50th birthday next summer.
You would think they would give it a nice referb after they remove HMH but most of the time it ends up worst than before. Lighting and sound is always off and missing ceiling panels and broken AAs are typical after they remove the neon puppet show.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

You would think they would give it a nice referb after they remove HMH but most of the time it ends up worst than before. Lighting and sound is always off and missing ceiling panels and broken AAs are typical after they remove the neon puppet show.
Which is exactly why I'd advocate for them to take a bit more time and get it right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom