Fix or replace the monorail

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So I say 'Fix them' OR 'Replace them'. I don't care which they do, but TDO needs to crack open the seal on their collective wallet, wipe off the cobwebs and blow the dust off of it, and give the monorails and monorail track the damn TLC it deserves and needs.

Oh wait, it's not a 90 second thrill ride, what am I thinking... :rolleyes:

jt04

I'd extend the Epcot monorail beam into T-Land allowing for direct transportation between the MK and Future World and the TTC utilizing electric pods. All within the security bubble.

Then cannibalize the Epcot monorails to upgrade the fleet. See monorail Orange.

Run dedicated monorails for resort guests and those with dinner reservations using apps and magic bands on the resort line.

Utilize the express rail during peak traffic hours. Busses and ferries and Minnie Vans at all other times.

Solved.

Kamikaze

I didn't mean existing budget and DVC revenues. Take revenues that might be allocated from other sources to build new resorts and instead replace the monorail. Invest in a transportation method that can move more guests than buses, avoiding all the congestion of surface transportation and has the added bonus of the cool factor. You can only put so many buses on the roads before moving guests via surface transportation becomes like getting around LA.

DVC budgets all come from the other DVC properties. You can pull money from other sources within TWDC, but you can't take from DVC.

Kamikaze

I just don't get it. Everyone's trying to reduce their carbon footprint. Disney built a small solar farm, for goodness sakes. Why not upgrade the monorail, expanding it through the property and reduce the number of desiel exhaust genetating buses on the roads?

Because a property wide monorail system would be on the scale of $30-50 BILLION dollars.

matt9112

Because a property wide monorail system would be on the scale of $30-50 BILLION dollars.

isn't it only 2million or so per mile? so 50 miles =100 million? the WDW system is very basic and flawed due to its age and such. a more modern approach would be amazing and probably be in the news around the world. but those shares need to stay above 100 bucks so.

Monorail_Orange

While NOTHING is outside the realm of possibility, I think somewhere, deep down inside even Iger and Chappie and others understand that the monorail is synonymous with the US Disney parks.

The age of the trains in of itself is not the problem. Seriously. Delayed or deferred or just plain not enough maintenance is. We are hearing some positive steps are currently being taken in that regard. Hopefully, that trend will continue. I am hoping this situation is similar to MyMagic+, the huge costs (that ballooned even higher) to implement that system took virtually all of the investment from the parks. They're playing a bit a of catch-up now. The monorail is finishing up the automation program, now that it is wrapping up, hopefully we will see maintenance increase on the trains and beams. Again, we seem to be getting underway with that now, we just need that momentum to continue, and maybe even ramp up a bit, as they are now playing catch-up there too. The current fleet is a very different animal than any other Disney fleet in history.

Kamikaze

isn't it only 2million or so per mile? so 50 miles =100 million? the WDW system is very basic and flawed due to its age and such. a more modern approach would be amazing and probably be in the news around the world. but those shares need to stay above 100 bucks so.

No, thats not even close. Its more like $100 million per mile. Las Vegas was $88m per mile when it went in. And if Martin's cost on the gondola system is correct ($200+ million for 3 miles using a system that costs max $7 million per mile anywhere else), then a monorail would be much higher than that. So you're talking probably $150-200m per mile in reality.

Last edited:

Kamikaze

While NOTHING is outside the realm of possibility, I think somewhere, deep down inside even Iger and Chappie and others understand that the monorail is synonymous with the US Disney parks.

With the way TWDC and TDO are run now, and will be run for the forseeable future, I would say that yes, upgrading/expanding/full refurbishment of the monorail tracks and trains are outside the realm of possibility.

If someone finds the Cosmic Cube, maybe it would have a chance.

Monorail_Orange

With the way TWDC and TDO are run now, and will be run for the forseeable future, I would say that yes, upgrading/expanding/full refurbishment of the monorail tracks and trains are outside the realm of possibility.

If someone finds the Cosmic Cube, maybe it would have a chance.
My first point was more in reference to those that are arguing that TWDC/TDO is likely to remove the monorails. The company just spent a chunk, no doubt, to implement the automation upgrades across the entire system. While the automation system clearly still needs to be fine-tuned, that's a major investment to undertake for a transportation system that you're going to just throw away.

My second point (as they were intended to be distinct - I was clear as mud, in retrospect) was that maintenance seems to be improving.

Lastly, unfortunately, you are correct that a true reinvestment to fully refurbish the system is indeed what's needed, but very unlikely to happen. They will do what is required to keep the system safe and operational (albeit with downtime), but nothing more.

Sonconato

Every time I go on these monorails, I am truly amazed that they let them get to this condition. There is no excuse. There should have always been a budget for preventative maintenance. This is transportation to and from Magic Kingdom, you can't only rely on the ferries. How do you justify the hotel rates without a decent monorail? You don't buy a car or a house and say, "well, that's all I'll have to spend for the next decade or so."

Kamikaze

My first point was more in reference to those that are arguing that TWDC/TDO is likely to remove the monorails. The company just spent a chunk, no doubt, to implement the automation upgrades across the entire system. While the automation system clearly still needs to be fine-tuned, that's a major investment to undertake for a transportation system that you're going to just throw away.

No, they are unlikely to remove them unless something serious happens to cause it. But they would remove them if they had the choice. I don't think they see it as a viable choice without a reason 'outside of their control' causing it.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So I say 'Fix them' OR 'Replace them'. I don't care which they do, but TDO needs to crack open the seal on their collective wallet, wipe off the cobwebs and blow the dust off of it, and give the monorails and monorail track the damn TLC it deserves and needs.

I'm in total agreement. Do whatever it takes to bring both the cars and the beams into the 21st century, or better, become a leader in the technology. Expand the beams to all four parks. Build another central transportation hub over by AK. Frankly, I would have gone with this than the gondolas. Create transportation that can efficiently move large amounts of people. At some point, WDW, between their buses, other shuttle buses, taxis and private vehicles will reach the saturation point on surface roads. They keep shuffling things around - push back MK gate, for instance - rather than real long term effective solutions. We all complain about how crowded the parks have gotten. Do something other than more roads, which are just going to fill up with more buses and cars. Look at what major cities are doing. LA finally built a subway to help with its traffic nightmare.

Sometimes I just don't get the decisions TWDC makes. They need to start thinking and planning like the small city they really are, rather than a large theme park.

peter11435

No, but theres no need to make it more complicated. Point is they can't use DVC money on non-DVC projects.

Edit: If a new DVC were to include a monorail spur/station, that might allow them to do some things, however.
His point was that money allocated towards building a new dvc property such as the riviera resort could go to the monorail system instead. While they are seperate business entities this could happen with board approval but is unlikely as one is revenue generating and the other is not. So it won't happen but could.

Money collected from dvc dues must stay within dvc. Money spent on dvc resort operations and upkeep usually comes from dvc dues but does not have to. Money collected from dvc sales can go towards anything twdc desires. Money spent on new dvc properties comes from twdc and could be routed towards anything of their chosing instead.

LAKid53

Premium Member
DVC budgets all come from the other DVC properties. You can pull money from other sources within TWDC, but you can't take from DVC.

Yes. I was referring to other non-DVC sources that might be added to existing revenues if insufficient to construct a new DVC resort.

LAKid53

Premium Member
No, thats not even close. Its more like $100 million per mile. Las Vegas was $88m per mile when it went in. And if Martin's cost on the gondola system is correct ($200+ million for 3 miles using a system that costs max $7 million per mile anywhere else), then a monorail would be much higher than that. So you're talking probably $150-200m per mile in reality.

It doesn't have to be done all at once. The federal interstate highway system took decades to complete. My part of Florida didn't get I-10 until the mid 70s.

Kingtut

Open the seal on their collective wallet!? Are you out of your Vulcan mind?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom