Fish and chips @ Epcot

Leo!

Original Poster
I have always been a big fan of fish and chips at Epcot (UK pavilion). It's always a "must" for my family. During my last trip, there was no line to order. Strange because there's always a LONG line. I think they changed suppliers recently or something, bc fish and chips now are definitely not good. Has anyone noticed this?

Disstevefan1

I have always been a big fan of fish and chips at Epcot (UK pavilion). It's always a "must" for my family. During my last trip, there was no line to order. Strange because there's always a LONG line. I think they changed suppliers recently or something, bc fish and chips now are definitely not good. Has anyone noticed this?
Sad to hear! As you said, historically there was always long lines for fish and chips.

Lets hope its a temporary problem but if its not, I cant say I am surprised. Another special thing gone from WDW.

Disstevefan1

RIP_FishNChips.jpg

Raxel7851

We always make a stop for the Fish n Chips. When we were there in October, the lines were fairly long and the food seemed the same as before. We use the Mobile Ordering App to avoid the long lines. It’s one of our favorite stops for eats. I hope the food hasn’t changed since we were last there. We’re heading back in March.

Smiley/OCD

FWIW: When we were there last December, the F&C was good, HOWEVER, I will say that several years ago there was a write up here on the boards that they were substituting Tilapia for the normal cod used…apparently a supply chain issue around the pandemic. Like I said, last year it was definitely cod. I hope it doesn’t change again…that was always a tasty meal in WS.

jaklgreen

They have not been good in many years. Not ever since they quietly replaced the fish with tilapia. Tilapia is just nasty and when they introduced it to the US, they were marketing it as a cheaper alternative to catfish. It is a nasty bottom dweller and I don't know how anyone can eat it. So yeah, the fish and chips are horrible.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The lines were there last week. I agree the quality had declined however, the fish and chips I saw coming out of there last week looked much better. Going to have to give them a try again.

Lilofan

The lines were there last week. I agree the quality had declined however, the fish and chips I saw coming out of there last week looked much better. Going to have to give them a try again.
Drain the oil from the fryer was done nightly after the restaurant closes when I worked in fast food. If the fryer wasn't drained nightly and the old oil was used the next day the food product declined for sure in looks and taste.

mf1972

i guess it’s timing. we were there oct/nov. there was a little line, but it tasted the same as it usually does. didn’t notice any difference.

Last edited:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Drain the oil from the fryer was done nightly after the restaurant closes when I worked in fast food. If the fryer wasn't drained nightly and the old oil was used the next day the food product declined for sure in looks and taste.
My first job was at McDs and we filtered oil multiple times a day.

Phonedave

I have heard that it varies on market conditions and what is available. The type of fish used may vary day to day, including

Cod, haddock, hake, tilapia, and catfish.

Cod and haddock are traditional, but cod is getting scarce and expensive. Hake is first cousin to Cod or Haddock.

Tilapia is not the evil fish some make it out to be. It is pretty mild, and if farm raised, what it eats is pretty consistent.

Catfish makes a tasty fried fish, but it is not English Style Fish and Chips. The meat is too watery.

Smiley/OCD

I have heard that it varies on market conditions and what is available. The type of fish used may vary day to day, including

Cod and haddock are traditional, but cod is getting scarce and expensive. Hake is first cousin to Cod or Haddock.

Tilapia is not the evil fish some make it out to be. It is pretty mild, and if farm raised, what it eats is pretty consistent.

Catfish makes a tasty fried fish, but it is not English Style Fish and Chips. The meat is too watery.
Tilapia are like a fresh water Blue Fish…they are also known as cichlids (which I used to have in my aquarium)…have tried them several times, both wild and farm raised & prepared different ways…just don’t like them…(and I like all “white” fish species(flounder, fluke, cod, haddock, etc)

Lilofan

One location that is far superior in quality is about one hour from WDW in Winter Park called the Boston Fish House. Its run by a family from New England.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom