First week of January is COLD!

Alice a

Hurricane year. I've noticed that a bad hurricane season is usually followed by a colder than usual winter. After hurricane Hugo, we got a few inches of snow.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I have to defend them for a second. It’s different when you’re accustomed to warmer temps.

For many years I would not travel North of Jupiter Florida in the winter.. this includes Orlando. Even middle Florida was too cold for me.

Now, I’m in Ohio.. Orlando temps look a lot better than they did during my years as a South Floridian.

Even so, I can’t swim in Orlando in November,
Yet I read trip report after trip report where people swim in Orlando and call the weather “hot” during the winter.

All depends on your tolerance and what you’re accustomed to.
Wanna hear something real depressing... Take a 24 hour drive back to Long Island from Orlando... Never again. This is rare for us to, we get maybe 2 days, maybe a week tops like this, we've had a month worth of days like this and more to come. Im willing to take a round trip down to Orlando just for the weekend before my full ween and normally I'd refuse to blow a round trip for anything less then a week but I'm determined.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Sounds similar to our first week on vacation on Dec. 7th - very cold. Is this normal for January?

We were there that week in December too. So cold. We froze at the Sunday Christmas Party. Hot Chocolate went over well. I've done Christmas Day in Shorts and back in the day at Christmas they had both waterparks open for the Christmas Holiday weeks and it was fun to lazy river in late December/Early January. So the Normal is it is a gamble. Somedays low 80's others like this 40s and 50s and so-forth. We did a March Spring Break where we bought coats off property. My DD first Christmas Day at Disney she was in a little sundress. Never know what your're going to get. We also did a two week vacation and in the Middle of our Vacation we had a two day time out for Hurricane Irma, our 3rd Disney Hurricane over the years.

I am Timmy

We were there that week in December too. So cold. We froze at the Sunday Christmas Party. Hot Chocolate went over well. I've done Christmas Day in Shorts and back in the day at Christmas they had both waterparks open for the Christmas Holiday weeks and it was fun to lazy river in late December/Early January. So the Normal is it is a gamble. Somedays low 80's others like this 40s and 50s and so-forth. We did a March Spring Break where we bought coats off property. My DD first Christmas Day at Disney she was in a little sundress. Never know what your're going to get. We also did a two week vacation and in the Middle of our Vacation we had a two day time out for Hurricane Irma, our 3rd Disney Hurricane over the years.
The wind made it worse. We're from Washington, we get cold weather and wind, but it still felt cold to us. One year we went at the end of March/April and there was a wicked cold snap that brought the temp down, no one was prepared. Nothing but shorts and tank tops. My family were the only ones at Blizzard Beach - changed our minds pretty quick. At least we had warmer clothes this time! We came home xmas eve to snow and ice. Typical.

macefamily

We were down in Sept, Oct, and Dec to visit our daughter who was in the Disney College Program. Sept and Oct were unbearable for a northeastern person. 90's and muggy. December was low 50's and breezy. We saw both ends of the spectrum during our trips.

Nubs70

I remember something about that time when all the orchards and orange groves were being iced over to try and prevent frost from affecting the fruit. I still don't understand how coating something with ice prevents the fruit from being damaged. Even then wasn't a lot of the loss of those places happen a few years later when the fruit flies took over. If memory serves a lot of orange groves were lost at that time.
When water freezes, it gives off a lot of energy. Going from 32F liquid to 32F solids yields a huge amount of Btu's. Enough heat to get to through a short cold spell.

SJH'72

Not often you see London warmer than Orlando...

Attachments

• 0B0580DC-6FA5-4572-96C5-A5DCD2A1A174.png
    0B0580DC-6FA5-4572-96C5-A5DCD2A1A174.png
    275.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 0989ED06-F119-4793-B5FD-0872CE5010CD.png
    0989ED06-F119-4793-B5FD-0872CE5010CD.png
    274.3 KB · Views: 33

Minnesota disney fan

So, when are you going again??????? LOL

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Over the years, I think I've visited WDW during just about every month. January is by far the most unpredictable as far as weather goes, with December being a close second. Our 2009 trip was cold, with only one day even approaching 70, I think. Mid-January last year was pretty decent. I also remember a December trip in the early 80's where I think the high was about 42 and it was windy. I remember EPCOT Center was terribly cold that day.

Hobnail Boot

First snow in 28 years here in Savannah! Very surreal seeing everything covered in snow. Highs only in the 30s which is very unusual for us. High of 65 on Monday though... Bring it on!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom