First Trip to WDW! Single parent with 5 year old.

Kita79

Hello. My name is Kita and I'm a single parent. I'm all booked for our first Disney World vacation neither of us has ever been to Disney. I'm taking my daughter to celebrate her 5th birthday. We are visiting from October 29-November 4, 2012 staying at Port Orleans Riverside with a 6 day park hopper. I'm completely freaking out because the planning for this trip is overwhelming. We are planning to go to BBB for her birthday which is November 2 and I want to take her to CRT but the reservations seems like it is so hard to get and she really wants to eat with Cinderella on her birthday. We arrive by noon on the 29th and I'm not sure what we should do that first day. Any suggestions, activities, restaurants, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

<3DisneyBBOH

I have just came back from a Disney vacation and all we had was fun. I remember coming here when i was about 5 too(tween now-i say teen) and i still had fun. Since it's Disney there are not very many roller coaster type rides but some i would not recommend for a kid that young. For example Everest, i don't know about space mountain (but should be fine), NOT rock n Roller coaster(loops and corkscrews)-prob not tall enough anyway,and NO WAY tower of terror. Tower of terror is a fav of mine but i am older now. Tower of terror ( well the name explains-emphasis on TERROR) it is not scary to me but it would for a 5 year that is scared of Ursula. the others should be fine Splash mountain is a plunge but not scary, she would be fine but i don't know the height requirement. If you have any questions im a expert.:wave:Good luck and ha:sohappy:ve fun at Disney:sohappy::D:D
heres tower of terror ride-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d7suuWQ3Lg
pre show-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMUaZqm0IKw

Upvote 0

<3DisneyBBOH

Oh sorry I forgot Haunted Mansion it is not scary to me again but i dont exactly know for a 5 year old. when i was a kid i rode with my dad the first time and he would make fun of the "scary" stuff and make me laugh instead:ROFLOL: Just to be safe i would not unless she wanted to. The end is the most child friendly, the have "ghosts" at the top of the doombuggies doing memorable actions on the mirror by making our heads move and other distortions on the mirror. If you want to see what the rides are first i would go on youtube and search the rides to see if they are ok. haunted mansion=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG7n2ZD1z_U( the haunted mansion one is not the best)

Upvote 0

minnielaw

I will throw my two cents in and second the WDW Passporter Guide. Not only is it a great planning tool, but it also has a section in the back where you can document your trip. It has pages for each day of your trip where you can note the weather, where you ate, which parks you visited and then asks you questions like "What was the funniest thing that happened today?" I brought my Passporter to the resort and would fill it in each night. The notes really helped me to remember the trip and gave me ideas for what to do differently the next trip.

I would also suggest you consider renting or bringing a stroller for your daughter. Although she has probably far outgrown a stroller at home, the amount of walking required for children at WDW can be very grueling. My boys were 6 and 8 on our first trip and we rented a stroller everyday! The boys could relax in the shade between rides/attractions and they did not tire as easily. It is also difficult for small children to navigate between all the adults. Just a suggestion that really worked for us!

I would also suggest that you make ADR's (advanced dining reservations) for all of your TS meals (sit down meals). Although you may change your mind and decide to dine elsewhere, just knowing you have a reservation somewhere and will not have to wait is, in my opinion, a lifesaver.

Lastly, look at all the menus for the restaurants that you are considering. Make sure there is something there that your daughter will like. The children's menus can be very limited and if she is a picky eater you need to know ahead of time what options she has.

Most importantly, relax, have fun and enjoy the holiday decorations!! You will have an unforgettable trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

dsdmbU2

Just FYI we have found that dinner reservations are easier to get at CRT then breakfast. Good luck with getting all your ADRs, let us know how you make out.

I also agree with splitting up your days with morning/night and taking break in afternoons. My boys are 8 & 5 and that is how we've done it for years. It works good to schedule some down time to recharge everyone's batteries.

We did CRT for breakfast a few years ago and didn't have any trouble getting ADRs the morning we were eligible.

Upvote 0

Lucky

I recommend that you call up at 6:59am Eastern time on the 180 day mark of your trip to try to get that coveted CRT reservation on your daughter's birthday.
This is good advice, but in the meantime don't freak out about it. CRT isn't actually as difficult to get anymore as some of the guidebooks might say. You shouldn't have any trouble getting what you want if you call 180 days in advance to book, which is coming up pretty soon for you. Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

Kita79

Original Poster
<3DisneyBBOH Thank you for the tips on the rides being on youtube. We will watch them together to see which ones my daughter will be up for.

I need help with my table service meals. So far I have an idea of:

Monday- Askerhaus Princess Storybook Dinner
Tuesday- Chef Mickey Breakfast
Wednesday- Rainforest Cafe Animal Kingdom Lunch or Quick Service Lunch?
Thursday- Cape May Dinner
Friday-BBB morning and CRT Lunch or Dinner? 1900 Park Fare dinner if I can't get CRT
Saturday- need a suggestion for Lunch

Has anyone ever used any of the kid clubs? I'm thinking about letting her go to a kid's club on Saturday evening to have a little break, grab a meal at Fulton's, and do some Christmas Shopping for her in Downtown Disney. Being a single parent and working fulltime, I don't get a lot of time to just relax. I decided to take her to MNSSHP because she said she wants to go on Halloween. Thanks for all of your help. Planning is starting to be fun again. :lol:

Upvote 0

tink65

Hi Kita,

I am so excited for you and your daughter! Wow, that first trip can be amazing and overwhelming too! Have you bought a guide book yet? There are several different ones out that can be of alot of help.

If you can't get breakfast at CRT then try Akerseus (spelling is wrong) in the Norway pavillion at Epcot. It's chock full of princesses! Also, someone else mentioned dinner at 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian. Your daughter will meet Cinderella, Prince Charming, the stepsisters and stepmother there! Remember CRT does take 2 TS credits...... Another great place for a character breakfast in Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary!

Also, be sure to check of the activities at POR. We stayed there for the first time last year and they have movies on the lawn every night! It's great! You guys will love the resort!

You'll have so much fun.....planning may seem overwhelming but it's half the fun of a Disney Trip!

Upvote 0

<3DisneyBBOH

Your Welcome! Also those are great choices for meals, Chef Mickey was a favorite of mine as a kid- I loved to be able to take pictures with my favorite characters and get an autograph! Also Cape May was also a favorite of mine with the great food, The Princess storybook dinner was also one of my favorites for me and my sister as we could have great food and also see all of my favorite princesses.
Hope you have a Magical time!:D:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Kita79

Original Poster
I made my ADRs last week. Here are the finals.
Monday(arrival day)- 1900 Park Fare Cinderella Ever After Dinner
Tuesday-Hollywood and Vine Lunch
Wednesday- Coral Reef Lunch
Thursday- Chef Mickey Breakfast
Friday- Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique at 11:30am and Cinderella's Royal Table Dinner at 4:25pm.
Sat- Cape May Dinner for me. DD will be enjoying the Sandcastle club while I am at dinner and doing a little christmas shopping for her.

I'm excited that I'm finally under the 180 day mark. With our schedule planned, we are hitting the Magic Kingdom three times (arrival day, once for Extra Magic Morning Hours, and all day on her birthday), DHS once in the morning, Epcot once in the morning and once in the evening to see Illuminations, and Animal Kingdom once. I was thinking about MNSSHP which will be held on her birthday November 2 but financially I don't think i can swing it.

Does anyone have suggestions of what I can do with my DD between her BBB appointment and our 4:25 dinner reservation at Cinderella's Royal Table? My sister is sewing her Cinderella costume for BBB so it will be an orginal and she is getting the Crown Package with hair, makeup, and nails. I'm afraid that she is going to get something on her costume before she sits down for dinner. I'm pretty sure that once I put her in the princess gown that she will not want to take it off. lol.

I want to do some kind of welcome surprise for my DD when we get to our room but I'm having trouble coming up with ideas. I already have a princess autograph book and pen for her that I can set out on the bed. Plus being a single parent I can't go to the room and set it up before she arrives because there will be no one to watch her. Does anyone know if the hotel would be willing to set up my welcome package if I gave it to them at check in?

Upvote 0

Kita79

Original Poster
LOL most definitely a first timer. I checked out the disney florist website and I'm not seeing anything that I like for my DD. They are really expensive too. I'm working a single parent budget.:shrug:

Upvote 0

Witchy Chick

I want to do some kind of welcome surprise for my DD when we get to our room but I'm having trouble coming up with ideas. I already have a princess autograph book and pen for her that I can set out on the bed. Plus being a single parent I can't go to the room and set it up before she arrives because there will be no one to watch her. Does anyone know if the hotel would be willing to set up my welcome package if I gave it to them at check in?

If you haven't done so already, make sure WDW knows you will be visiting for your DD's first visit AND for her bday. And ask if there is anything special they can have set up in the room for your DD's special trip.

(As an example, we had (unsolicited) complimentary choc covered strawberries, rose, and autographed picture of Mickey/Minnie congratulating us on our marriage waiting in our room the first night when we honeymooned at WDW. That was such a nice treat (and I thought my DH had set it up, but it was all WDW's doing. haha))

Good luck and have fun!!!

Witchy

Upvote 0

journ116

I remember seeing this thread a while back, and I'm glad I found it again!! How exciting: a mommy and daughter trip!!!! And, my family and I are going to be down there at the same exact time!!

Here are a couple of suggestions to your questions:

1. What to do in between BBB and CRT (D)?: Meet-and-greets! You'd be surprised how much time can pass if you make it a game. Or, play the new interactive Sorcerer's Game (stop in at the Fire Station on Main Street for details). In all actuality, you'll probably have 3 1/2 hours to meander and get lunch. I recommend putting an adult-sized poncho over your daughter while eating, if you're afraid of messes; buy yourself and your daughter ponchos at home and bring them with, because FL weather can be unpredictable that time of year.

2. If you do ship something to the resort, I believe I read somewhere that there is a fee at the resort. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) Either way, it wouldn't hurt to call, and call again down to POR and ask a manager-on-duty. The reason I say, "call again," because you never know if "policies" will change (or the Cast Member-CM). And most certainly, upon arrival, you could give the items to a CM to set up or present her with it at the check-in counter....OR, while she's using the bathroom after first arriving into the room, you could sneak it out of your carry-on.

3. Mickey's Not-So-Scary-Halloween Party (MNSSHP) is a lot of fun! A lot of unusual characters come out (namely villians), and everyone seems so laid back! Last year, we went on the last night (I would not recommend going on or right before Halloween), and we walked away with 10 lbs. of candy for a our two girls:eek: I had to take most of it into work a couple of days later, because we couldn't (and shouldn't) finish that much candy! For us, we've been there done that, BUT if you can swing it, I would recommend attending. On Halloween night while we were there, we went over to Epcot and let the girls get their faces painted!! They didn't even miss trick-or-treating, because I told them that "Mickey extended Halloween for one more night and that we'd go then."

I hope you have fun planning the rest of your travels!!! And perhaps, I'll see you down there!!:wave:

Upvote 0

Kita79

Original Poster
Awesome! I'm so glad you were able to get a reservation at Cinderella's Royal Table for your daughter's birthday!

Yes I woke up at 4:30 central standard time and logged into the online dining reservation and associated the reservation with my dining plan and filled out everything I could before 5:00 central came and I hit find a table at exactly 5:00 am central time and got a table at Cinderella's Royal Table. She is going to be so excited about it because she only thinks that we are going to eat with Cinderella at the Grand Floridan on arrival day. She has no idea she is eating in the castle on her birthday!!!!

Upvote 0

Kita79

Original Poster
I remember seeing this thread a while back, and I'm glad I found it again!! How exciting: a mommy and daughter trip!!!! And, my family and I are going to be down there at the same exact time!!

Here are a couple of suggestions to your questions:

1. What to do in between BBB and CRT (D)?: Meet-and-greets! You'd be surprised how much time can pass if you make it a game. Or, play the new interactive Sorcerer's Game (stop in at the Fire Station on Main Street for details). In all actuality, you'll probably have 3 1/2 hours to meander and get lunch. I recommend putting an adult-sized poncho over your daughter while eating, if you're afraid of messes; buy yourself and your daughter ponchos at home and bring them with, because FL weather can be unpredictable that time of year.

2. If you do ship something to the resort, I believe I read somewhere that there is a fee at the resort. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) Either way, it wouldn't hurt to call, and call again down to POR and ask a manager-on-duty. The reason I say, "call again," because you never know if "policies" will change (or the Cast Member-CM). And most certainly, upon arrival, you could give the items to a CM to set up or present her with it at the check-in counter....OR, while she's using the bathroom after first arriving into the room, you could sneak it out of your carry-on.

3. Mickey's Not-So-Scary-Halloween Party (MNSSHP) is a lot of fun! A lot of unusual characters come out (namely villians), and everyone seems so laid back! Last year, we went on the last night (I would not recommend going on or right before Halloween), and we walked away with 10 lbs. of candy for a our two girls:eek: I had to take most of it into work a couple of days later, because we couldn't (and shouldn't) finish that much candy! For us, we've been there done that, BUT if you can swing it, I would recommend attending. On Halloween night while we were there, we went over to Epcot and let the girls get their faces painted!! They didn't even miss trick-or-treating, because I told them that "Mickey extended Halloween for one more night and that we'd go then."

I hope you have fun planning the rest of your travels!!! And perhaps, I'll see you down there!!:wave:

Thanks for the suggestions on the time in between BBB and CRT. I already brought ponchos for the trip so I will definitely be using that tip to keep her dress clean for lunch or we may eat a light lunch before she goes to BBB. I will have to see what the resort says about the welcome setup. I could have her stand behind the curtain that closes between the bedroom and bathroom sinks while I get it set up. We are staying in the New Royal Guest Rooms at Port Orleans Riverside. I hope that I can get tickets for MNSSHP. I may ask my godparents to get the tickets because they say I never ask them for anything lol. Her birthday will be a very memorable day for the both of us. That is so cool we will be at the World at the same time. Sounds like we have a playdate lol!!!!

Upvote 0

Disney61

What a wonderful experience lies before you!!!! As a first timer, I would recommend a visit to Allears.net... if you have not already found the website. Allears does an outstanding job of providing a wealth of information pertaining to all things Disney. I hope you and your daughter have a magical visit!!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Kita79

Original Poster
What a wonderful experience lies before you!!!! As a first timer, I would recommend a visit to Allears.net... if you have not already found the website. Allears does an outstanding job of providing a wealth of information pertaining to all things Disney. I hope you and your daughter have a magical visit!!! :sohappy:

Yes I have visited allears.net. It helped me out so much when planning my dining reservations because of the menus listed. My daughter and I are pretty adventurous eaters and I had to find places that offered way more than chicken nuggets. I made the mistake taking her to Red Lobster when she was three years old and it is now her favorite restaurant she loves shrimp and seafood. She is not a picky eater at all which is great especially since we will be down there for Epcot's food and wine festival. She asked the other day if we were going to the Eat to the beat concerts. She has been watching the vacation planning DVD every week lol.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom