First Trip to WDW! Single parent with 5 year old.

Kita79

Hello. My name is Kita and I'm a single parent. I'm all booked for our first Disney World vacation neither of us has ever been to Disney. I'm taking my daughter to celebrate her 5th birthday. We are visiting from October 29-November 4, 2012 staying at Port Orleans Riverside with a 6 day park hopper. I'm completely freaking out because the planning for this trip is overwhelming. We are planning to go to BBB for her birthday which is November 2 and I want to take her to CRT but the reservations seems like it is so hard to get and she really wants to eat with Cinderella on her birthday. We arrive by noon on the 29th and I'm not sure what we should do that first day. Any suggestions, activities, restaurants, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Kita79

Original Poster
Im not sure about Fantasmic because of the dragon. She freaks out whenever she sees one in tv. I think we will just stick with the fireworks shows.

Upvote 0

DisDadEddie

Good luck on your first trip! First thing I'll say is spend as much time in the parks as possible. My daughter and son have been going since they were 18 months and 22 months and we stay in the parks all day. We are there opening and leave when the park closes. Take advantage of the extra magic hour, it is easier to get on rides then. Use fast pass, waiting in regular lines will make the days extra long especially in the heat. Take your time in the parks, no need to rush at all. For us on a six day trip we would go to MK twice,Epcot twice, and HS & AK once but that is just us. But if there are EMH in another park we'd hop over there once one closed.MNSSHP was a great add on for our October trip, my photo has a picture from then with Snow White & the Seven Dwarves. You'll see character not regularlly out. If you have any question feel free to ask, I'd be happy to help.

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Fantasmic is a Hollywood Studios. Book a lunch (or dinner) at Brown Derby, and you can request a "preferred seating" pass from them. It's free, but you have to ask for it.

It's a great show, and the preferred seating means they will pick you up in a golf cart and drive you to the ampitheater, and then you get...well...preferred seating. It's a blast.

I would highly recommend it, but reading about your daughter's concerns, only you can truly judge if she's ready for it. Try checking out youtube for videos of it. The first year (when my kid was 5) she spent a large portion of the show in my lap hiding into my chest and peeking out. But, after the show she couldn't stop talking about it.

For the fireworks, make sure you plop down 30 minutes or so before the show, at minimum. My daughter and I like to grab a funnel cake and hot chocolate from Sleepy Hollow, and plop down dead smack in the center in front of the castle, about 20 feet back from the stage.

Another good place to watch the fireworks is a courtyard that is right before you get to Tomorrowland Terrace. If you look to the left, you'll see some stairs that lead down to a courtyard. People seem to forget that it's there...and many times you can grab a seat at a table and watch the show. Sometimes it's roped off, but I've done it many times. Only bad part is that it is near a designated smoking area, but it's very open air, so unless the wind is wrong, that doesn't bother me.

As a group of two, when you show up at Royal Table, ask for the window table. They will most likely have already assigned you to it, but there is a two top table in the center window that overlooks the carousel. It's a wonderful table to sit at in that restaurant, and me and my daughter do it twice every visit.

Be sure to get an autograph book for all the characters you are going to meet! I buy them at the park, but there are a lot of people who make them at home, and that seems like a fun project to me (it's just that, entering the park, buying an autograph book/pen/ears/pin, is now a tradition for me and my daughter...so...<shrug>

Have you thought about where you are going to use your Quick Service credits? All of the food is pretty good at Disney, but there are certainly QS places that stand out.

I would recommend the following places:

Hotel Food Court - Gotta have a Mickey Waffle!

MK - Columbia Harbour House, Cosmic Ray's (really fun if you sit down in the theater area), Sleepy Hollow (awesome prosciutto omelet, and Tomorrowland Terrace (if it's open when you visit). Turkey Legs can be bundled with chips and a drink for the cost of one QS Credit as well. I like to split a Turkey Leg with my kid while we watch the 3pm parade. It's far less crowded at Frontierland then over on Main Street, and they have Rocking Chairs you can sit in (if you can get one!)

EP - In futureworld there isn't really any outstanding quick service, outside of the Land pavilion, which offers a lot of variety. However, in World Showcase, most of the pavilions have a full service and a quick service option, so you can eat around the world! My personal favorites (for quickservice) are Katsura Grill (Japan), Sommerfest (Germany), Tangierine Cafe (Morocco) and the Yorkshire County Fish Shop (UK)

HS - The ABC Commissary is very good, as is the Backlot Express.

AK - Flame Tree BBQ and Yak & Yeti Cafe are both very good. Restaurantosaurus is ok, but it's pretty much the same menu/food as Cosmic Ray's at MK

If, at the end of your trip, you have unused snack credits, you can use them to buy candy and treats to give as gifts when you get back. I always pick up a few Mickey Mouse Rice Crispy treats as gifts for family and coworkers.

Also, be sure to use a snack credit to split a Dole Whip! You can find them at MK near the exit of the Tiki Birds.

5 is a great age for a first visit, and I'm sure the two of you will have a blast!

Upvote 0

Kita79

Original Poster
Does anyone know how free dining works? Cause right now I'm over my table credits with the dining plan because of the Hoop Dee Doo Review and Cinderella's Royal Table. And she has Storybook princess lunch, Chef Mickey, and 1900 Park and Fare Cinderella Everafter dinner as well. Will have to pay out of pocket for some of the meals? We are staying 6 days and 7 nights at Port Orleans Riverside.

Upvote 0

coltow

Does anyone know how free dining works? Cause right now I'm over my table credits with the dining plan because of the Hoop Dee Doo Review and Cinderella's Royal Table. And she has Storybook princess lunch, Chef Mickey, and 1900 Park and Fare Cinderella Everafter dinner as well. Will have to pay out of pocket for some of the meals? We are staying 6 days and 7 nights at Port Orleans Riverside.
If you go over your credits you just pay for the meals on your own. My recommendation is pay for cheaper meals and use DDP on the more expensive 2 credit meals.

Upvote 0

Kita79

Original Poster
Well I have to drop the Hoop Dee Doo Review. We will hit it next time for sure. I want this vacation to be a stress free as possible and not have to worry about paying for extra meals out of pocket. Besides that more money for souvenirs.
Here are the final ADRs:
Monday-1900 Park Fare Cinderella Dinner
Tuesday- Cape May Dinner
Wednesday- Askershus Storybook Princess Lunch
Thursday-Chef Mickey Breakfast
Friday- Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, Cinderella Royal Table Dinner, MNSSHP
Saturday- Dinner at resort

Upvote 0

Mks95

Do you realize that you gave up a character meal at the crystal palace for the dinner at cape may? With a 5 year old i'd do the crystal place esp. if she likes pooh ( the kids get up and follow the characters thru the resteraunt at times and get real excited). Also my daughter who is a cinderella nut liked the backyard bbq better than crt and we had crt christmas morning and she got a new dress. If posssible get her dress at a disney store before you go and take it with to the boutique (you'll save lots $$). We also let the kids pick 1 pin a day as there souvenier and then place them in a shadow box and they show all their friends, the first year they got the tshirts and animals etc. and as they got older all was gone but these are all ready for them to take when they move out to remember thier trips. Have a great time:)

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

i'm in my late 40s and often go alone with my granddaughter. my biggest suggestion is to not rule out her being to old for a stroller. i regularly do 5 miles/day at home and the long days on my feet still kill me at disney. we also tend to go from morning until park close so i rent a stroller when we go. i don't/can't hold/carry my granddaughter and quite frankly hate a whining leaning child (especially when it's hot or i'm just as tired lol) so although she's well past the stroller stage at home we still rent one when we do wdw. we both end up happier...no whining, clinging child, she's not overtired later into the evenings and it gives us a place to hang our extra stuff like our rain ponchos etc... when we go on a ride.

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
i'm in my late 40s and often go alone with my granddaughter. my biggest suggestion is to not rule out her being to old for a stroller. i regularly do 5 miles/day at home and the long days on my feet still kill me at disney. we also tend to go from morning until park close so i rent a stroller when we go. i don't/can't hold/carry my granddaughter and quite frankly hate a whining leaning child (especially when it's hot or i'm just as tired lol) so although she's well past the stroller stage at home we still rent one when we do wdw. we both end up happier...no whining, clinging child, she's not overtired later into the evenings and it gives us a place to hang our extra stuff like our rain ponchos etc... when we go on a ride.

I'd second this. I only did the stroller one time (kid fell asleep on the monorail on the last day, and I was trying to lug her and packages around...not fun)

Most of the time she rode on my shoulders, which is why I didn't need a stroller. But, at 5, she's not gonna want to walk all day. Heck, even at 6 my kid want to walk all day and still spent large portions of the day on my shoulders.

Now she's 7...she's gonna have to walk!

Upvote 0

Kita79

Original Poster
Do you realize that you gave up a character meal at the crystal palace for the dinner at cape may? With a 5 year oldy i'd do the crystal place esp. if she likes pooh ( the kids get up and follow the characters thru the resteraunt at times and get real excited). Also my daughter who is a cinderella nut liked the backyard bbq better than crt and we had crt christmas morning and she got a new dress. If posssible get her dress at a disney store before you go and take it with to the boutique (you'll save lots $$). We also let the kids pick 1 pin a day as there souvenier and then place them in a shadow box and they show all their friends, the first year they got the tshirts and animals etc. and as they got older all was gone but these are all ready for them to take when they move out to remember thier trips. Have a great time:)
Yes i know im giving up crystal place for cape may. She is over pooh lol. She is all about the princesses. Originally i planned to go to the Magic kingdom on tuesday morning but we are going to DHS instead in the morning and epcot at night. My daughter loves seafood and i thought she would like the clambake. I read really bad reviews for Hollywood and Vine for lunch but she loves playhouse disney characters so i might just take my chances and make a reservation for lunch. We are doing CRT on her birthday and i purchased her dress already. I like the pin idea and shadow box.

Upvote 0

Kita79

Original Poster
I'd second this. I only did the stroller one time (kid fell asleep on the monorail on the last day, and I was trying to lug her and packages around...not fun)

Most of the time she rode on my shoulders, which is why I didn't need a stroller. But, at 5, she's not gonna want to walk all day. Heck, even at 6 my kid want to walk all day and still spent large portions of the day on my shoulders.

Now she's 7...she's gonna have to walk!
lol im definitely bringing a stroller.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom