First trip to WDW alone

Mamma tell me

Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum. I stumbled upon your wonderful community via a Google search.

I am 21 years old and on December 31st of 2009 I will be making my first trip, with my girlfriend of 3 years, to WDW alone.

Of course, I was there as a kid wit my parents and sister. I remember some great things. I have been to Epcot several times in the past few years with my family, and now that I am older I can really, really appreciate that park.

However, I have not EVER been to the "MGM" studios and I have not been to the Magic Kingdom since I was a child (maybe 8 years old.)

I will have 7 days in Orlando and my only definite plan right now is to go to the Magic Kingdom for New Years eve.

I am looking for suggestions and ideas on when and where to go on what days, especially during holiday time.

Thanks, I look forward to reading the suggestions.

Ariel484

Welcome! :wave:

My husband and I also made our first trip "alone" to WDW this year - so fun! It's totally different going as an adult. I've never been there around the time that you're going, but from what I've read on the boards and elsewhere, you'll probably want to avoid Magic Kingdom on New Year's Eve. I know I've seen people post about New Year's Eve here before, so you may want to do a thread search and read other people's accounts.

As for what parks to go to on what day, you should check out Touringplans.com (the Unofficial Guide website). They put up a crowd calendar that you can look at a month out that has what they predict the crowd levels to be and what park they recommend you go to. You can see farther out if you have a subscription. I have a temporary subscription (they were free last year if you bought the book but now cost a fee) and it looks like they recommend Epcot for NYE, I guess because it's the largest park :shrug:

Like I said, do a thread search here...I know I read a few reports on how people spent NYE in Epcot last year, but I forget exactly what went on. No matter what though, prepare for the crowds and have fun! :wave:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, wherever you do decide to go, get there EARLY...if the parks reach capacity they'll close, and you may not be able to get in! Also, you mention you've never been to the Studios...maybe this is the day to check it out for the first time? It might be less crowded than MK and Epcot.

Upvote 0

LarryStoken

Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum. I stumbled upon your wonderful community via a Google search.

I am 21 years old and on December 31st of 2009 I will be making my first trip, with my girlfriend of 3 years, to WDW alone.

Of course, I was there as a kid wit my parents and sister. I remember some great things. I have been to Epcot several times in the past few years with my family, and now that I am older I can really, really appreciate that park.

However, I have not EVER been to the "MGM" studios and I have not been to the Magic Kingdom since I was a child (maybe 8 years old.)

I will have 7 days in Orlando and my only definite plan right now is to go to the Magic Kingdom for New Years eve.

I am looking for suggestions and ideas on when and where to go on what days, especially during holiday time.

Thanks, I look forward to reading the suggestions.

You said you are going with your girlfriend but are also going "alone". How does that work? How can you be alone and with someone else at the same time? Are you leaving her at the hotel?

Upvote 0
I would say the first thing to do is figure out which parks you are going to on which days and then pick out your dining based on those parks. I have never been at the holidays so that will be new to me this year to.
From viewing previous posts and things etc- Le cellier in Epcot seems to be the place not to miss. I have never been myself and am not going this Dec either. We have a 2 1/2 year old, so my dining is more geared towards her than me :)
If the Christmas Party in magic kingdom is still happening while you're there-that's is highly rated.
Remember to make your ADR's the morning of your 90 day mark- you are going at a high demand time and you would want to get those ressies. Good Luck

Upvote 0

TURKEY

The way it sounds you are arriving on NYE and then staying into January?

I'd do Epcot on NYE (depending on where staying) as it's the largest park with the most room. Don't plan on getting very much done that day as lines will be long. You might want to try and make a lunch and dinner ADR for that day to guarantee yourself a break.

You might want to pack blankets to sit on. You'll see lots of people camped in grassy spaces near UoE, TT, MS. World Showcase areas (like Italy) will fill up hours in advance also.

Upvote 0

Mamma tell me

Original Poster
You said you are going with your girlfriend but are also going "alone". How does that work? How can you be alone and with someone else at the same time? Are you leaving her at the hotel?

I guess you are the typical forum "smart ______."

Loving Disney: What is "ADR?"

The good thing about my trip is that New Years day is on a Friday...and I am going to assume that most kids will have to be back in school that following Monday, January 4th...which will give me 3 days during the week where it should be significantly less crowded.

Upvote 0
Advanced dining reservation. You can make them 90 days ahead of your first day arriving. You definately want to think about them ahead of time and prepare a schedule of which one's you want to go to. Because you are going at a busy time and it may be difficult to get some reservations. They open up at 7:00 AM EST. So if you are arriving on 12/31 you can start making your "ADR"s" well actually today.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

Will you guys be staying on-site or off-site?
I plan our days by whatever park is open latest. I know most people say to avoid the evening EMH park at all costs, but it works out better for us because we like to stay out late. Another thing to plan around is Fantasmic! at DHS (formerly MGM Studios) if you guys are at all interested in seeing that. It looks like it's playing 3-4 nights during your stay.

What types of things are you guys looking forward to? Thrill rides, dining, character hunting, etc?
One of my favorite parts of planning is sitting down with whomever I'm going and some park maps to pick out our must-dos for the trip.

Upvote 0

Tiggerfanatic

Welcome to the boards. I, too, had a long (8 year) span between trips, and was amazed at all the changes. A lot of what you want/need to do will depend on your likes & dislikes. Do you like thrill rides? Shows? Water parks? I recommend checking out the menus here on this board, and get your dining reservations all lined up. It is going to be CROWDED on New Year's Eve, but you're right, from what I've read, it should clear out the following days. The big thing, it just relax and go with the flow. You will never see it all in one trip, so don't wear yourself out trying!! Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

Mamma tell me

Original Poster
Well, we have a whole week there. We are staying off site at a Marriot resort.

I want to have a "relaxing" trip, so I'm not going to be crazy trying to fit EVERYTHING into the day. I plan on getting to the parks anywhere between 9-10 and staying until close.

I'm not worried about lines or crowds, just want to have a fun time while being relaxed. Don't want to rush. Like someone said before, can't do everything in one trip.

I think we are going to try to do as many thrill rides as possible. I am familiar with EPCOT, but the Magic Kingdom and Studios and Animal Kingdom are parks I am not familiar with at all, seeing as how I have not been to them since I was a young boy.

I am open to, and looking for, all suggestions about these three parks. Which rides and shows ect...

Also, I know a place like EPCOT I can do most of the rides and shows and showcase stuff in a whole day, where as, where I look at the map for Magic Kingdom, it looks like these is a ton more to do.

Upvote 0

brent2124

Well, we have a whole week there. We are staying off site at a Marriot resort.

I want to have a "relaxing" trip, so I'm not going to be crazy trying to fit EVERYTHING into the day. I plan on getting to the parks anywhere between 9-10 and staying until close.

I'm not worried about lines or crowds, just want to have a fun time while being relaxed. Don't want to rush. Like someone said before, can't do everything in one trip.

I think we are going to try to do as many thrill rides as possible. I am familiar with EPCOT, but the Magic Kingdom and Studios and Animal Kingdom are parks I am not familiar with at all, seeing as how I have not been to them since I was a young boy.

I am open to, and looking for, all suggestions about these three parks. Which rides and shows ect...

Also, I know a place like EPCOT I can do most of the rides and shows and showcase stuff in a whole day, where as, where I look at the map for Magic Kingdom, it looks like these is a ton more to do.
Not a certain thing due to increased crowds for New Years.

AK you will want to see Expedition Everest and the Safari for sure.
DHS you should see Tower of Terror, Rock N Rollercoaster and Toy Story Mania. MK you will want to see the 3 mountains. As for shows it really depends on the person if you like Nemo, Lion King etc.. choose the shows that interest you.

Upvote 0

Mamma tell me

Original Poster
Good heads up.

On NYE I don't plan on spending an entire day at a park because I will be checking in that day. Check in isn't until 3 or 4, so we just want to go for whatever kind of insane show/fireworks or whatever they have.

Upvote 0

brent2124

Good heads up.

On NYE I don't plan on spending an entire day at a park because I will be checking in that day. Check in isn't until 3 or 4, so we just want to go for whatever kind of insane show/fireworks or whatever they have.
If your going to get in for sure, you need to be there early. The parks will reach capacity and the people staying off property are some of the first to get locked out.

Upvote 0

Mamma tell me

Original Poster
We may not get to the park for an NYE celebration then.

Might have to watch the fireworks from the balcony then.

Will still be a lot of fun. :slurp:

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

The day you do HS I would get there at rope drop and head for Toy Story Mania first, so you can get Fast Passes, and then hop on the ride itself. Be ready for big crowds during your visit. We have never used any 'plans' except for knowing which park(s) we want to do each day and so pick up a guide on the way into the park and have fun. We don't like to be tied down to a time for meals and so we limit ADRs to maybe 2 in our 8 day visit. The rest of the time we deal with meals on the spur of the moment inside or out of the parks. Be sure and book ADRs early. Your going to see many new things in the parks. Have a great time.

Upvote 0

muteki

My wife and I are both 25, and next February will be the second time we have gone "alone" to the world. We went last year because she had a convention there and we could tack on a few days. We both had a great time and are going for 7 days next year, all to ourselves.

I had been several times as a kid-teenager but hadn't been in 10 years. She had only been once as a young child so it was more like 20 years for her.

Well we had a great time, and besides being a little rushed (only had 3 days to ourselves because of the convention) loved every second of it. Since I was older and didn't have my parents around we got to try a lot of the restaurants my parents always refused to go to, and stay on property, which my parents also refused to do. Was old enough finally to "appreciate" :)p) Epcot, and tried lots of things I never had before.

It was nice being able to do what we wanted when we wanted, and I hope that we can do even more with our next trip.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom