First trip to Disney, dining plan worth it?

Brandon barr

Original Poster
I wish I would of know that I have already paid for 5 day tickets. Thursday - monday and paid for park hopper to. Our plan was to just spend the entire day in magic kingdom.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I wish I would of know that I have already paid for 5 day tickets. Thursday - monday and paid for park hopper to. Our plan was to just spend the entire day in magic kingdom.

Yeah, the things you learn from experience (and this forum). ;)

Since you are more than 45 days from your check in date (and thus won't pay a fee), you could always call, cancel your current reservation and rebook at the same resort, but purchase a 4 day ticket without park hopper. You wouldn't be the first, nor the last, do to this.

LAKid53

Premium Member
okay good deal. my son is 44 inches tall at the moment so not sure if he will grow any by then or not. also he is a skinny feller so I don't want to put him in anything that don't strap him down good. we have been looking at all the rides and things together on the computer and he is telling me he is not going in the spooky castle haha.

so one thing I no for sure he wants to do when we get to magic kingdom is the buzz lightyear space ranger spin. Buzz is one of his favorite characters. my wife says she has to do the tea cups and other then that what is a ride not to miss at magic kingdom.

I may have asked this before but for my last 2 days what parks would be the best to visit again.

at epcot I know my son would love the sea base and the nemo things he loves that sorta stuff. and that Test track by Chevrolet looks like something I want to do. what rides can you not miss at epcot.

online does not look like hollywod studios has very many attractions but I do see they have a buzz lightyear thing as well and of course pizza planet that is the thing my son is telling everyone is he is eating at pizza planet so we have to go there for lunch one day. how many rides can you fast pass a day?

also I noticed on my disneyexperience account it shows my wristbands and now these cards to and has 2 by me and 1 for rest of family what is this for. Thanks again man for all your help. The family and I appreciate it. it has helped us allot.

If you've already purchased your tickets for the Halloween party, those will be the cards (if you selected that option). The cards for the party will be mailed to you within a couple of weeks.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The Yachtsman is very high end (only Victoria and Alberts and Shulas are "fancier", iirc).

Most Disney Table Service is not like that, and a lot of the venues have shows, character interactions or environments (like Sci Fi, 50s Prime Time and Coral Reef) that keep the kids entertained and comfortable.

That said, Disney has a lot of excellent Quick Service.

So, in my opinion, you really cant go wrong with either.

I wouldn't take a hyper 5 year old to Yachtsman....

We've always enjoyed the Garden Grill in EPCOT - it's in the Land Pavilion. You meet Farmer Mickey, Pluto and Chip & Dale. It's a family style meal and the food is very good (well, everything but the fish). The produce and fish served are grown on-site. Kinda cool to know the salad you are eating was grown on Disney property.

Brandon barr

Original Poster
Oh okay can you not make modifications to your current package instead of canceling it? I may just leave it alone I mean I'd like to save a lil money but really this is our first big Vaca and I'm not to worried about what I spend this time. Not saying there is no limit but I set myself with a pretty high one. I think I've just about figured it all out other than if I should get dining plan or not, if it's worth it or not and where all we could eat at. I almost just want to do quick service meals because it's easier.

Brandon barr

Original Poster

We've always enjoyed the Garden Grill in EPCOT - it's in the Land Pavilion. You meet Farmer Mickey, Pluto and Chip & Dale. It's a family style meal and the food is very good (well, everything but the fish). The produce and fish served are grown on-site. Kinda cool to know the salad you are eating was grown on Disney property.
Yeah my uncle ended up canceling his resorvations for there to just because he didn't realize it was such a upscale place.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Oh okay can you not make modifications to your current package instead of canceling it? I may just leave it alone I mean I'd like to save a lil money but really this is our first big Vaca and I'm not to worried about what I spend this time. Not saying there is no limit but I set myself with a pretty high one. I think I've just about figured it all out other than if I should get dining plan or not, if it's worth it or not and where all we could eat at. I almost just want to do quick service meals because it's easier.

Well, if you're going to call to add the dining plan, then ask if you can change from a 5 day park hopper ticket to a 4 day ticket without park hopper. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Brandon barr

Original Poster

That is pretty cool I'll look into that resteraunt.

Would you personally say the dining plan is worth it or you get your money worth out of it.

For instance my son just eats like nuggets or kids meals or pizza, my wife's not a big eater at steak house she usually never eats more then a 8 Oz steak but she does like deserts and I will get a good steak. I think what draws me to it is its just another thing already paid for by the time I get there and I can order whatever I want..

Of It did come out as a loss I mean how bad could it be

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yeah my uncle ended up canceling his resorvations for there to just because he didn't realize it was such a upscale place.

Yeah, signature restaurants and hyper 5 year olds are never a good mix, lol. Plus, the menus aren't always that kid friendly. I really think your son would enjoy Garden Grill. And the restaurant slowly rotates through the ride (well, the top of the ride). At least I think it's still rotating...

LAKid53

Premium Member
That is pretty cool I'll look into that resteraunt.

Would you personally say the dining plan is worth it or you get your money worth out of it.

For instance my son just eats like nuggets or kids meals or pizza, my wife's not a big eater at steak house she usually never eats more then a 8 Oz steak but she does like deserts and I will get a good steak. I think what draws me to it is its just another thing already paid for by the time I get there and I can order whatever I want..

Of It did come out as a loss I mean how bad could it be

We used to purchase the dining plan - the regular plan with one TS, QS and a snack. We stopped purchasing the dining plan when Disney started offering the Tables in Wonderland card. Most restaurants take the card and the 20% discount covers everything, including that appetizer and glass of wine. As Annual Passholders, our cost was $100 for the card and it is good for 13 months. And we can cover meals for up to 10 people with the card - but the person paying has to be the cardholder. Since we go to WDW frequently, it was a better deal than the dining plan. I felt unless I was ordering the most expensive thing on the menu, I wasn't getting my money for the plan. And Disney portions are HUGH. And I didn't need the extra 5 pounds. Like I said, many times an appetizer or two is a perfect dinner for me.

Brandon barr

Original Poster
Yeah since we won't be going gain prob for a few year until our son is older I think the dining plan may fit us better..that's if I can find some places to make reservations at to make it worth it.

SAV

For our family, the dining plan isn't worth it. We found that we were just overeating because "we paid for it". So then when it came time for the yummy snack that I had wanted to get before the trip, I didn't get it because I was full from the crummy cake and the vat of pop that came with the meal.

I much prefer to pay out of pocket for what I want at that time. We'll usually do one Table Service meal in DHS(since their QS offerings have a lot to be desired) per trip and then just buy what we want to eat at the others.

Also keep in mind that the table service meals take away from park time as well. I'd say 1.5 hours per sit down meal.

LAKid53

Premium Member
You mentioned you were staying at Port Orleans. Are you staying at French Quarter or Riverside? The reason I ask is if you are staying at Riverside and end up in Alligator Bayou, those buildings don't have an elevator since they are only 2 story. Which can be a pain with a stroller. So, if you are staying at Riverside, when you check in on-line, make sure you request Magnolia Bend (and you might also want to call). Unless you like dragging a stroller up and down the stairs. Not to mention your luggage. lol

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yeah since we won't be going gain prob for a few year until our son is older I think the dining plan may fit us better..that's if I can find some places to make reservations at to make it worth it.

Reservations at the more popular table service restaurants fill up quickly. But keep trying. I've changed our reservations several times for a trip. You don't have to limit yourself to a park or DTD. Some of the resorts have great restaurants, like the one you are staying in. Fort Wilderness has several good options as others have mentioned. Whispering Canyons at Wilderness Lodge is always a fun place to eat (just watch out for the catsup) - it's a very kid friendly place to eat.

And there's always a chili dog at Casey's in the Magic Kingdom.....best chili dog hands down.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I am staying at riverside at a royal guest standard view room is what I selected I belive. Well that dono sound much fun

I believe those rooms are in Magnolia Bend, which has elevators, so if you get a 2nd or 3rd floor room, it won't be a problem. We stayed at POR last year before our cruise. I was excited to find we had a room in Alligator Bayou. Until I arrived at our building with all my luggage and discovered no elevator.... But the room was nice.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thanks for all the help and advice. Can't wait till October..hopefully I'll have it all figured out by then lol

You've got time. Just remember - and mark on your calendar - when the 60 day window opens up for making your FP+ selections.

Have fun. Your son will have a blast at the Halloween party. Amazing parade and fantastic fireworks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom