First trip to Disney, dining plan worth it?

TXDisney

My recommendation for the DP is that if you have kids it could be worth it. If you're not planning on doing nice sit down meals it's worth it. For you with a 4yr old and an infant it could be worth it. Depends on your 4yr old if he's a eater who likes nice foods, then I don't recommend the DP, but if they enjoy pizza, burgers, etc. it could be worth it. Really it comes down to what you guys want to do as adults, if you want to still do nice meals I'd say go without it. Especially if you enjoy adult beverages.

CaptainAmerica

My recommendation for the DP is that if you have kids it could be worth it. If you're not planning on doing nice sit down meals it's worth it. For you with a 4yr old and an infant it could be worth it. Depends on your 4yr old if he's a eater who likes nice foods, then I don't recommend the DP, but if they enjoy pizza, burgers, etc. it could be worth it. Really it comes down to what you guys want to do as adults, if you want to still do nice meals I'd say go without it. Especially if you enjoy adult beverages.
You make a few points that are actually the opposite of what I'd suggest. You want to eat as-expensively-as-possible to get your money's worth on the DDP. Burgers and pizza are exactly the wrong way to go. Maybe you mean't signature (2-credit) dining? In that case, I agree that the DDP is a poor choice, but I wouldn't bring an infant into a signature restaurant anyways.

A four year old is almost never worth it because he's charged the same price as a 9-year-old. Likewise, a child age 10-15ish will probably never be worth it because they're paying adult prices.

ETA: I did the dining plan one time on a 10-day trip. It technically ended up being "worth it" from a strictly dollars-and-cents perspective, but we were actively trying to beat the DDP by ordering the most expensive entrees even if that wasn't always what we wanted. I much prefer the flexibility of paying OOP, with no pressure to try and make my meals "worth" some prepaid amount.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
You make a few points that are actually the opposite of what I'd suggest. You want to eat as-expensively-as-possible to get your money's worth on the DDP. Burgers and pizza are exactly the wrong way to go. Maybe you mean't signature (2-credit) dining? In that case, I agree that the DDP is a poor choice, but I wouldn't bring an infant into a signature restaurant anyways.

A four year old is almost never worth it because he's charged the same price as a 9-year-old. Likewise, a child age 10-15ish will probably never be worth it because they're paying adult prices.

ETA: I did the dining plan one time on a 10-day trip. It technically ended up being "worth it" from a strictly dollars-and-cents perspective, but we were actively trying to beat the DDP by ordering the most expensive entrees even if that wasn't always what we wanted. I much prefer the flexibility of paying OOP, with no pressure to try and make my meals "worth" some prepaid amount.
I think you and I have done this exact exercise before!

First, I completely agree with your points. More often than not (especially on the DLX plan) it is very hard to break even (normally you'll come in at a slight loss). However, it's not impossible, and doesn't require that you order the most expensive items on the menu.

Lets do some examples (some ahead, some behind) just to get a feel. I'm going to assume DDP only (1 TS, 1 Snack, 1 QS).

A day at MK with lunch at Cosmic Rays and Dinner at Crystal Palace

OOP cost
Cosmic Rays
1/2 Rotisserie Chicken - 10.99
1 BBQ Pork Sandwich - 10.29
1 Kids Chicken Nuggets - 5.99
1 Chocolate Gelato - 3.99
1 Triple Chocolate Cake - 4.19
2 Fountain Drinks - 3.29 x 2 = 6.58
1 Lowfat Milk - 1.99
Total Meal - 44.02 * 6% tax = 46.66

Crystal Palace
2 Adult Buffets - 42 * 2 = 84.00
1 Child Buffet - 20
Total Meal - 104.00 * 6% tax = 110.24

Daily Total - 156.90
Spend requirement for DDP - 139.31
Net Gain/Loss - Saved 17.59

Or, lets try EPCOT, with Lunch at Sunshine Seasons and dinner at a menu restaurant (though I'd do Garden Grill, but lets say Coral Reef

Sunshine Seasons
1 Sesame Crusted Tuna with Asian Vegetable Noodle Salad - 11.49
1 Spicy Fish Tacos - 11.79
1 Kids Macaroni and Cheese - 5.99
1 Apple Caramel Crunch - 3.99
1 Creme Brulee - 3.99
2 Fountain Drinks - 3.29 x 2 - 6.58
1 Simply Orange Orange Juice - 3.99
Meal Total - 47.82 * 6% tax = 50.69

Coral Reef
1 Pan Seared Salmon - 25.99
1 Seared Mahi Mahi - 26.99
1 Kids Grilled Chicken Tenders - 8.99
1 Chocolate Wave - 8.99
1 Bailey's and Jack Daniels Mousse - 7.99
2 Fountain Drinks - 3.29 x 2 - 6.58
1 Lowfat Milk - 1.99
Meal Total - 87.52 * 6% tax = 92.77

Daily Total - 143.46
Spend requirement for DDP - 139.31
Net Gain / Loss - Saved 4.15

So, it's not hard to come out ahead or near break even. And I didnt include kids desserts or the snacks!

However, it is easy to come out cheaper OOP depending on how you wish to eat. For example, getting water instead of fountain drinks or milk/oj. Not buying as many snacks. Not getting desserts, or if at a table service, sharing a dessert or appetizer. You are spending less, dollar for dollar, but you are also getting less, so it isnt apples to apples.

So, it really comes down to personal preference, and a limited amount of fiscal awareness (eg dont use a snack credit for a water or popcorn...save it for more expensive items like ice cream treats) to break even or come out ahead.

Last edited:

Brandon barr

Original Poster
Also that does not include the rifilable mugs I guess correct. I guess those would be good for while at the resort. But still money saved not buying drinks. My son is kinda picky and not a big eater. And me and the wife very rarely eat desert..but I would feel obligated to with the dining plan to get my money's worth haha.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Also that does not include the rifilable mugs I guess correct. I guess those would be good for while at the resort. But still money saved not buying drinks. My son is kinda picky and not a big eater. And me and the wife very rarely eat desert..but I would feel obligated to with the dining plan to get my money's worth haha.
Right

Brandon barr

Original Poster
okay so on Monday October 12th is our last day in a park and I was looking at going to magic kingdom again that day they have the magic hours from 8am to 9pm but also starting at 7 is the mickey not so scary party again would we still have to leave at 7pm?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
okay so on Monday October 12th is our last day in a park and I was looking at going to magic kingdom again that day they have the magic hours from 8am to 9pm but also starting at 7 is the mickey not so scary party again would we still have to leave at 7pm?
Yes. Unless you buy another MNSSHP ticket.

The sample schedule I made for you had a MK day on Sunday for that reason (the MNSSHP going on Monday). That way you could close out the park, and you'd also see a different nighttime show lineup than the earlier day where you are doing the party.

That said, Animal Kingdom will likely close around 6 or 7 that time of year anyhow (AK is what I had suggested for Monday)...

You may want to think about that, so that you guys can get back to the hotel a bit early that night, pick up your merchandise that you'd had shipped to the resort during your trip (when you buy something on property, you can have it shipped to your resort so you don't have to carry it around all day. You'll pick it up from the Gift Shop at your resort later), pack and get ready for leaving the next day.

Brandon barr

Original Poster
oh okay good deal we will do magic kingdom on sunday then and still not sure what I want to do on Monday. luckily our flight out is not till like 2pm that next day so we can check out at 11 and then make our way to the airport.

is animal kingdom worth spending a full day at it.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
oh okay good deal we will do magic kingdom on sunday then and still not sure what I want to do on Monday. luckily our flight out is not till like 2pm that next day so we can check out at 11 and then make our way to the airport.

is animal kingdom worth spending a full day at it.
It closes early. Frankly, if you get your FPs (and, check and make sure your kid is tall enough for Everest), it can be done easily in a full day starting at 9 and ending at park closing (that time of year, I'd guess that to be 6p). You won't see all the small wildlife stuff, but you'll see most of it.

I normally do Animal Kingdom, and then after it closes we go to AKL and eat at Jikos. But, you could easily do Disney Springs that evening (last minute shopping at World of Disney, etc...)...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
My AK normally ends up...

At park before opening for Tusker House breakfast. Finish breakfast around 9a (park opening), head straight to the Safari. Do the Safari. After that...do whatever.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
looking at the map does the monorail go from epcot to magic kingdom if you want?
Sortof.

It goes from EPCOT to TTC (Ticketing and Transportation Center) where you have to transfer monorails to the Express or Resort lines (a short walk) and then to Magic Kingdom.

To get from Magic Kingdom to EPCOT, reverse that process.

Disneykings

Sorry to crash your post. Can anyone tell me how to get from Saratoga Springs to 1900 Park Fare, Grand Florida for Breakfast Reservation. Thanks

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Sorry to crash your post. Can anyone tell me how to get from Saratoga Springs to 1900 Park Fare, Grand Florida for Breakfast Reservation. Thanks
Board a MK bus at Saratoga Springs. Walk from the MK bus depot towards the resort monorail entrance. Before you reach it, there is a boat dock with service to the Grand Floridian/Poly. If the boat is operating, ride it because GF is the first stop. Then you walk from the dock to the main building; 1900 Park Fare is on the lower level.

If you need to take the monorail, the GF will be the 4th stop. When you enter the main building, take the stairs to the lower level to find the restaurant.

Disneykings

Board a MK bus at Saratoga Springs. Walk from the MK bus depot towards the resort monorail entrance. Before you reach it, there is a boat dock with service to the Grand Floridian/Poly. If the boat is operating, ride it because GF is the first stop. Then you walk from the dock to the main building; 1900 Park Fare is on the lower level.

If you need to take the monorail, the GF will be the 4th stop. When you enter the main building, take the stairs to the lower level to find the restaurant.

Thank you so much Tuvalu, that's a great help :)

Deranged Hermit

The reason we like it is:
A: We go when it's free.
B: Even when we went before the free DDP was available, it was an easy way to cap costs. The kids knew that they had to be smart with their choices because they had limits. Truth be told, we hardly ever spend out of pocket for food because no one is ever hungry since the Quick serve and sit down provides so much food.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom