First trip..pass along must do's and secrets please

SoonerDan

We are making our first trip to WDW in four days!!! We have three kids, (9,5,5). We are staying in PORS and are the the DDP deluxe. Have our reservations made for meals. Looking for your don't miss tips and secrets. We are expecting to have an amazing time, and these forums have been awesome! Just looking for some last minute things to add to the list!

DsnySodec

For my daughter first trip I had to get a silhouette done of my daughter. I have one from 1984 on my first trip. So its kind of a tradition we can pass along. Also for future visits you can always get more and watch your kids grow through their Disney trips.

Disney Quest is great for kids, my daughter loved it aw well.

Fast Passes are a must in all the Parks.

Bring Plenty of water with you each day, I usually do this in a Camelbak.

Upvote 0

KCheatle

I definitely agree with taking a break in the middle of the day. For us, that was sometimes possible, sometimes not depending on what park we were in and what was going on. But, on the days you do that you will notice a BIG differene in the attitiudes of you and your children for the rest of that day and likely the next day. WDW is a lot to take in, so kids (and adults) get overwhelmed quickly. Taking a couple hours to "chill out" and re-set helps a lot.

I very much agree with getting to the parks when they open. You will not regret it. You will walk on rides and get fast passes so much easier. I just can't stress enough how much it helps to get there early.

Buy ponchos in advance. Without fail, it will rain on your trip. Yes, they sell ponchos in the parks - but they are ridiculously priced and don't last long. Bring your own. Have them with you at all times (well, defeinitely in the afternoon). AND...when it's raining - ENJOY IT!! It's a warm rain, so you can be outside and not be freezing. Go on rides when it's raining! People tend to hide in stores and restaurants during the rain, but the rides are still running and there's no lines. When my daughter was 3 we went for a week and it poured every day - we had a BLAST! Yes, we were soaked, but we were never cold. It was really fun! Don't be afraid of the rain!

Remember, your tip is mandatory for sit down restaurants and it's not included in your Dining plan. Just don't be shocked when you get your bill and you have to pay for the tip. Eating at nice restaurants every day means those tips add up quickly. Same story for alcohol- if you want a glass/bottle of wine, you're gonna have to fork over the cash :(

Get a spot for parades early. Your kids are young enough they will probably enjoy the parades at MK - well at least the night parade. The spots go quickly. We like to set up shop along main street right outside the Confectionary so we can take turns leaving a getting snacks :) Then after the parade, we walk into the middle of main street and have a great view of hte fireworks, adn then when that's over we miss the majority of the mad dash for the exit. HOWEVER, if your kids are up for it (i.e., not fallign asleep during the fireworks), you can stay in the parks for a little while after the fireworks are over. You don't have to leave rigth away. You can get on some rides or haev some ice-cream. Then you'll get to hear the MK Kiss Goodnight - It's pretty magical!!

Okay - enough for now! Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

SoonerDan

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice. We have done a little research and of course all your help has been invaluable. We are renting a stroller for the twins so they won't have to walk as much.

I'm really trying to take your advice to not and try and do everything as advice and not a challenge...haha..i tend to try and do it all...relax dan..go slow..i'll try to keep telling myself that!!

Once we get there, the plan is to relax and go with the flow...until then, the plan is learn, learn, learn...

Upvote 0

rob0519

My best advice is to set a serious souvenir/spending money budget and stick to it. Things are so expensive & kids (& adults too) tend to want EVERYTHING they see. Everything is so tempting and it's easy to overspend on things you don't really need. When my kids were younger, I let them know exactly how much spending money they had, and reminded them that when it was gone, that was it. We always go by the rule that we don't do any impulse buying at WDW. If we like something, we write down where we saw it, and can always go back to get it at the end of the day or next day. Very rarely do we ever go back to that original spot to get that thing that 2 hours ago we felt we couldn't live without. The things you do go back for are the things that turn out being very special and meaningful.

Yeah, I know...try telling all this to a couple 5 year olds. ;) Your older child will probably be able to deal with this concept much better though.

Hope your family has a wonderful trip and it is the first of many more in the future!

Yeah, this! The first two or three trips we definitely went overboard, but then again there was more and better merchandise in 1996 then there is now. Seriously, WDW is way more expensive than the first time visitor might imagine. Have a great trip.

Upvote 0

Mkgoulden

My only advice is to use the Photopass as often as possible! The CM will also take pics with your camera, but you definetly want their cameras point of view! We Pre-purchase the CD (it is discounted before your trip). Also, it allows us to spend a couple of days without our cameras, and still have pictures on those days. Have fun and enjoy!

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Was in PORS in July (3rd stay there) Here's my secret.Stand on the bridge overlooking Sassagoula river,facing downtown,close your eyes,and toss a dime into the river whilst making a wish.It's a long story that I've told on this site.:)

Upvote 0

Hulacat

We bring the Brita water bottles and refill them (for free) with ice water at any quick service restaurant- being hydrated in the Orlando sun makes a big difference in how the whole experience is. I like the "Kakagori" shaved ice at Epcot's Japan pavillion- a nice sugar buzz & hydration/cool down time. PORS is magical- we took the boat to Downtown Disney at sunset & loved the narration the boat driver did about the wildlife & resorts we passed.
BE SURE to read up on the guide books & I can't stress the benefits of an afternoon swim/rest period enough. Have a great time!!:)

Upvote 0

Disnee4Me

If there are rides you want to go on, but the kiddies don't meet the height restriction, do the parent swap thing, where one parent goes in and the other waits outside the ride with the kiddies, and then the 2nd parent go in, while the first parent stays with the kiddies.

Upvote 0

aka_emilicious

Budget travel time. Its better to get there a bit early then be scrambling trough the park later.

You can search for average travel time between resorts and parks and then add 15 minutes waiting for the bus. That's just my formula, but it seems to work well. Also remember there are multiple resorts on a bus line and multiple stops per resort.

Upvote 0

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
Here are my tips.

1. On our first trip, I went into the park 5 mins sooner than hubby w/kids. I took multiple pics of my kids and their expressions when they walked into the park and saw the castle for the first time. (got a heads up call from hubby).

2. Tinkerbell's Treasure (store): You can find Tinkerbell in the dresser (Look through the keyhole).

3. The opening ceremony is fun! I believe it happens a few minutes prior to park opening.

4. We pick your top 5 attractions (must do's for each park). Everything else is a bonus:)

5. Check out ebay for pins to do pin trading with:) (You trade your disney pins with any cast member wearing pins).

6. I really enjoy the food at WDW. Especially the dole whips.

ENJOY!!!

OH!! We buy a princess dress ahead of time with a nice crystal crown & gave it to our daughter when we got there:) Brought a fancy box & big bow.

Upvote 0

jharvey

Thanks for all the advice. We have done a little research and of course all your help has been invaluable. We are renting a stroller for the twins so they won't have to walk as much.

I'm really trying to take your advice to not and try and do everything as advice and not a challenge...haha..i tend to try and do it all...relax dan..go slow..i'll try to keep telling myself that!!

Once we get there, the plan is to relax and go with the flow...until then, the plan is learn, learn, learn...
As a father of 3 little ones, let me throw one at you. At each park, point out the CMs and cover what to do if you get separated. And for the older one discuss a "rally spot" in case something happens. Other than that, i give you the basics.
1. Mickey's Philarmagic
2. Ponchos
3. Tell your kids to not tell on you when it just so happens to be your birthday in every restaurant.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Well, must dos might be...
1. MK- afternoon parade, night Spectro Magic/Main St Electrical Parade, and Wishes!
2. EPCOT- Illuminations, Soarin, visit all of the countries. Enjoy the atmosphere!
3. AK- Lion King and Nemo shows, Flights of Wonder, Camp Minnie Mickey trails to meet n greet the characters, take the train over to affection section/conservation station
4. DHS- Beauty and the Beast show, Disney Jr. show for the little ones, Toy Story Mania! ( must get a fast pass!)
Fantasmic!

Above all, take some time to "stop and smell the roses", as a 1st trip can be so very overwhelming and exciting! Enjoy!:D

Upvote 0

Dad 2 M & M

1) In Epcot, checkout Club Cool...this is a place you can sample free Coke products from around the globe
2) Ponchos--as many have suggested, bring your own...AND buy some color other than yellow, your party will stand out in the crowd. That helps if you are trying to meet or get seperated!!
3) If you Pin Trade, buy them on ebay before you go....they are much cheaper on ebay, and the cast members will trade with you!!

Upvote 0

LoriSue

I just wanted to throw in that I think that Cosmic Ray's is an excellent counter service location at MK, something for everyone for sure.

Also, I didn't see it here but may have overlooked it; hte locker rentals are for the entire day; you need to keep your receipt so you get your key deposit back but if you are park hopping, you can use it to get another locker without paying again.

I always keep ziploc bags in our backpack so we can put our phones in them on the water rides

Being a Marine Brat, I love our flag and try to catch the Flag Retreat Ceremony at MK at least once a trip.

If you make it to the American Adventure (which I highly recommend!), getting there a few minutes early to see the Voices of Liberty is well worth it.

I'm SOOOOOO jealous of your first trip with your babies. I love knowing the things I know but to have everything be a surprise again a such an enviable thing!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom