First time To Disney World with my 6 girls! Help please!

We have stayed at SSR several times. My favorite location is The Grandstands. It is the first stop both coming and going for busses which means you have a seat when you get on and you're at the first stop at the end of the day. We almost exclusively use Disney transportation when staying at SSR, even though we have our car with us (we drive from Arkansas). SSR does have 5 bus stops but that has not caused us any issues. You can also use any bus to get to The Springs, which is where the restaurants and such are. And to get back to your room from there the Disney Springs bus stops there first and then the rest so you can move around within the resort.

Lilly08

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice!
I will definitely look into a rental. Might be good to have as a backup for sanity’s sack!

dreamfinder

Things to think about:

• How old exactly are your kids? Would any of them still need car seats/booster seats? Schlepping a few of those down would make it much harder if needed, I think FL law is 6 and under needs a booster.
  • If you do the rental, less your party splits up and at least one person rides the MDE bus, you would need to claim and transport all your luggage yourself. Fitting 7+ suitcases in a mini van might be tough.
  • Some people will swear the buses aren't worth it, but others say a rental isn't worth it. Yes, parking is free, but at MK you will need to then wait for the monorail/ferry. Not a huge deal, but that extra 5-10 minute could easily offset the time savings from driving yourself.
  • If you are staying at SSR you should have a kitchen, so being able to drive to a grocery store to get food to make meals could be a money saver. You would need to weigh the benefits of using a grocery service and see if one is better than the other for you.
  • Some people prefer not having to think about where they are going, just hopping on a bus can be much easier than trying to figure out what sign/exit you need to get back to your resort after a long day.

SAV

I don’t want to fall apart at Disney over not getting my girls to their dream rides on time!

It seems you are putting a lot of stress on yourself over this trip. Planning is great and much needed, but you can't let it get you so stressed out. It is a vacation you are going on after all.

Keep in mind that you are going at a really busy time and may not get on every "dream ride". Especially with 7 of you. Attitude is everything at Disney. It may not(probably won't) go exactly as you have planned, but you can't let that ruin your trip. You are doing things the right way, but may have to call an audible.

If you are so worried about getting there on time, then leave very early to make sure you are there on-time. Don't cut it close. Let everyone know up front that you are leaving at X time and need to do it because you aren't going to miss out on Y. If you have some who are notoriously not ready on-time, pad that time a little bit.

Also, make sure that you actually take time yourself to enjoy WDW.

GCTales

Ok... Seems like most people hit travel between the resort and parks... Will add a few other items:

• I assume you are flying based on Boston departure and vehicle rental. If so and you don't rent a car / van at the airport, I recommend DME. ITS FREE. If you don't have your tags or voucher, and want to use it, call Disney direct. Link: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/magical-express/
  • Depending on the age of your smallest, you may need to rent a stroller. There are multiple Disney approved third party ones that will deliver to your room. Link: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/stroller-rentals/
  • Groceries. I am not overly familiar with SSR, but I understand there are kitchens. I think fRidge size varies depending on the size room, but I could be wrong. Just be aware before you get tons of need to be refrigerated food,. There are services that deliver to your room, if you choose. Also, local grocery stores and Wawa. Google "Disney world grocery delivery" and you will get tons of links (all third party sites, so TOS won't let me post here).
Wdwmagic page for SSR- lots of useful resort info here, including maps, pics, etc. Link: http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-saratoga-springs-resort.htm

I personally prefer to let Disney transport for park / resort travel. But most of my trips have been groups of 5 or less (next trip will be a group of 9- so we may rent a vehicle to allow ancillary transport of two 3 yr olds back to room for nap time). Only time I ever had an issue was a VERY early dining reservation (before busses started - just took a taxi / uber) and crowds / wait times at park opening / closing. In general, found it much more relaxing than driving myself - which I have done when there for a conference / convention.

If you need / desire official reservation / travel help in future (as opposed to board recommendations), I would recommend a Disney certified travel agent. There are several on here (look at board sponsorship) and I can PM you names of several others. They can make they hotel and travel reservations, provide adr help, and fastpass help. You pay no more than if you book direct (Disney pays their commission direct) and they are far more knowledgable about Disney than a normal TA- they are Disney trained and certified.

Edits: adding links. Speling [sic]

Last edited:

Driver

Different people have different needs and preferences. I am happy for you that you don't mind heavy traffic, but I feel like a fly at a spider's convention when I drive in places like Orlando or Atlanta.
Our group of eight last trip was four generations from my (then) 1 1/2 year old grandson to my 87 year old mother. Since it would have taken two vehicles for us the bus system even with all its faults was by far the best solution for us. With Lilly08 having a group of seven that may be her best solution too.
Make "keeps your whole group together" number 4 on my list above about how the buses will make it easier.
I had a guest tell me ( just last night) they like the busses with the kids, no car seats to deal with. Also if you decide to have a few drinks...

Lilly08

Original Poster
Thank you everyone.
My girls ages range from 6-16.
I do have a full fridge in the villa.
I already pre-ordered a grocery list from Garden Groc.
I am a over thinker and worry wart.
SAV, I am trying to get into the mindset of, whatever happens, just go with the flow. I want my girls to have a wonderful time. It being everyone’s first time there.
I think once there and we find our groove. It’s be a memorable vacation!

Pixieish

Thank you everyone.
SAV, I am trying to get into the mindset of, whatever happens, just go with the flow. I want my girls to have a wonderful time. It being everyone’s first time there.

FLEXIBILITY is key!!! Oh - and whatever you show your girls, they will reflect, so if you roll with the punches and keep on pluggin' happily along, they probably will too. ;)

DisAl

I am a retired engineer. You CAN NOT overthink or overplan anything! :D I will be online a 6:00 a.m. eastern at our 180 day mark making our ADRs!
That being said, I am going to agree 100% with CherlM. FLEXIBILITY is the key to enjoying the trip Things will NOT go exactly as you plan, and you WILL NOT get to do everything you want to do. There is just too much to see and do to get it all in on one trip. Unless you are staying about a month. ;) Planning ahead is key (especially for dining reservations) to getting as much done as you can, but once you get there just be flexible and have fun.
When you get back, give us a trip report!

DisAl

If you have not done so already, check back with Disney or your travel agent. There is a 20% room discount listed for part of your stay listed on the WDW web page now. Disney will normally re-book at the special rates. I don't know how it works going through a travel agent because we always deal directly with Disney.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I’m sorry, I didn’t put the Resort name in headline.
Thank everyone for the suggestions.
The girls and I went to Barns & Nobles searching for Disney World Guides. Well, we walked out with 7 different Disney World Guides! Lol
The first thing I started with was the dinner reservations October 5! Now I’m having to adjust the girls FastPasses around them.
I got tickets for Mickeys Very Merry Christmas, Jingle, Bell, Jingle BAM, Holiday Dessert Party.

Has anyone used lyft or Uber within Disney?

So, maybe I should rent a mini van. Everything I read in the Guides and online. It’s suggestive that the Disney buses aren’t reliable. With just the stress of organizing this trip, packing, for 6 girls. I don’t want to fall apart at Disney over not getting my girls to their dream rides on time!

I've used Uber to get to Disney. Disney has its own Uber, called Minnie Vans. I don't know how the costs compare to Uber or if they are now available at every resort, but I would check them out.

Each area in Saratoga Springs has its own bus stop. You can also use the walkway from the resort to Disney Springs or take the boat. Personally, I'd walk - it's only a 10-15 minute walk. Touring Plans has a map of each resort - check out where the bus stops are in Saratoga Springs. You can call Disney Travel and request a particular area - explain to the Cast Member that you are traveling with 6 children and want to be close to a bus stop. They'll put in your request, but no guarantee it will be honored at check-in.

With regards to driving to the parks. Yes, it's free. But for MK, you will park at the Transportation and Ticket Center, hop on a tram to the monorail and take that or the ferry to the park. Ditto for the other parks - park in the parking lot and take a tram to the park entrance. I visit frequently. I drive. I stay on property. I take Disney transportation everywhere. I just plan for using the buses.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thank you everyone.

Full size fridge for Disney is your typical 15 to 18 cubic foot one, with a top mount freezer. Some have ice makers, most do not. The only DVC resorts that have a full size fridge like you'd have in your kitchen are the Grand Floridian and Cooper Creek villas and the bungalows at Poly.

LAKid53

Premium Member
No she wouldn't. Her whole brood can take the magical express with the luggage from MCO to the Disney hotel. Then you can call the free rental shuttle to take you (the driver only is necessary , while the rest can stay at hotel or go to Parks) to the off site rental lot or go to the more expensive rental lot at Disney Transportion Center that day or the next. Often times the offsite Disney rental lots are a lot cheaper than MCO airport. (Especially the name brand rental companies)

As far as Magic Kingdom. The first time you go it might be worth taking he Ferry into the Kingdom.

But after the novelty wears off and for speed you are better off parking at Epcot and then taking the Monorail to Magic Kingdom. This is especially usefull at close because everyone takes the monorail and ferry to the Magic Kingdom parking lot but not many take the Monorail to the Epcot parking lot.

But she'd have to take the Epcot monorail to the TTC and then the resort monorail to the MK and reverse at park closing. And there's a line for the resort monorail, too, at closing, with guests staying at GF and Poly and those who don't want to walk to the Contemporary.

CaptainAmerica

Not to mention the time saved...the longest ride between destinations for us was something like maybe 20 minutes. Relying on the buses can be convenient, but it costs you huge in regards to time.
That's not necessarily true. Taking the buses is usually significantly faster when traveling to the Magic Kingdom because you skip the TTC step.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yeah Buses put you closest. But I think during closing those are huge lines as well and can be hit or miss.

The last time I went to Hollywod Studios, at close a line of about 300 people had to wait 40 minutes for a bus to take us to the Magic Kingdom because none of the buses were coming. By the time we got to Magic Kingdom it was basically almost closed so it was a complete waste of time.

The big factor with renting a car is that you will get a consistent time to the gates and parks. Buses are unpredictable.

And you take a tram from your parking area to park entrance. In the case of MK, a tram to the TTC monorail/ferry area and then monorail/ferry to MK gates. That's a lot of transfers with 6 kids in tow. @CaptainAmerica is correct. Bus from resort to MK is better. And you're forgetting the wonderful drive around WDW, especially with all the construction going on. I'm here right now, 5th trip this year. I live 4 hours away, so I drive. Car stays at resort. I take buses. Only time I drove to a park was last year for the Halloween party, because we were staying off property. I can't imagine driving to MK from SSR with all the construction going on due to moving the MK gate.

LAKid53

Premium Member
My 6 girls and I are going to Disney World for the first time December 21-30 this year.
I went through a local travel agency and that was my first huge mistake. I’ve had so many hair pulling out situations with them.
My concern is where to stay in Disney Saratoga Resort. I’ve read a lot of Saratoga comments and their recommendations are all over the place.
My main concern is getting to the parks in time for the FastPass Times. Plus, Restaurant Reservations in other areas.
Please help in regards to the best place to stay in Saratoga and the best transportation to use with a large group of kids. All of my girls are under the age of 16yrs. I am not a member of any Disney membership.
Thank you for any suggestions.

You have an hour for your FP+ window. I plan on getting to my bus stop 30 minutes before the start of that window. Haven't missed a FP yet.

eliza61nyc

Congratulations on your first trip. So here's my goto's

1) I know it's devilishly hard but please give up the notion of "doing everything". It's darn near impossible and you miss so much of the "ambiance", take your time, check out the ques. disney imagineering is one of the best and often the lines to the ride are just as exciting. go with the flow, if someone gets tired, take a break.

2) we are drivers also. I'm a native new yorker, now in Philly. florida/Orlando traffic is a breeze. Yes we have missed an exit once or twice but you know what, basically disney is one big circle with a few cloverleaf turns. simply keep going as long as you don't get on I-4 you're pretty much going to come around again. So we stopped doing the buses because what I call the "end of the night, slug fest". lol talk about folks losing their disney spirit. just plain nasty. when a guest rammed my kids stroller trying to get up the ramp to the monorail, I called it quits.

3) Saratoga springs is huge, so I agree with previous posters just request near transportation. Now remember for every plus there is a minus, If you are near transportation you maybe far from the pool. every thing is a trade off.

4) explore resort activities. you are going during Christmas which means crowds. I've seen many a frustrated parent in the busy parks. don't be afraid to do your fast pass and then skedaddle if the crowds are thick. Many 1st timers will try and stick it out once again on the "have to see every thing" notion.

5) DONOT miss the fireworks. they are spectacular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom