First Time in 1 Day?

nowsheflies

Original Poster
Hey everyone, long time reader but I'm finally posting in a bit of a panic. My upcoming trip is the last week of July and (some) of my family is finally doing Universal. I know there was recently a thread about doing both IOA and US in the same day but I have some specific questions and I didn't want to take over the other person's thread.

So far I haven't been able to convince anyone in my family to take two days away from Disney to do Universal so it looks like I really will only have one day. In IOA I'm really only focused on the WWoHP. I'm a Harry Potter nerd and absolutly do not do rollercoasters (can't do drops!) so I can devote at least half the day just to that area (though I'd like to do Spiderman and Poseidon's Fury and at least walk through the other lands). But there's a bit more I'd like to do at US (Mummy, the Horror Make-Up Show, Beetlejuice, meet the Monsters) and with Diagon Alley opening up I know that's going to be mobbed.

I guess I need to know how feasible all this is, considering the time of year and if I get Express Pass for the non-Harry Potter rides?

disney4life2008

To be honest - you are doing yourself a disservice if you try to do all of that in one day. Honestly, if the new HP land is open plus the old Harry Potter - that in itself may take a day. Remember when harry potter opened up universal was swamped and I expect it will be the same this summer. My suggestion is this - if you really want to do 2 days then maybe you can do one day with them and another day alone. If you are a huge HP fan - your family may not want to take the time to take it all in - and trust me, it is a lot to see, smell and taste. But that is my suggestion - i am always looking for ways get to an alone day if I travel with groups.

cheezbat

Guess your family is one of those that are stuck on the 'Do all of Disney' trip mentalities. My family used to be that way...now we never visit. (I still do, but just me lately)
If you're going this summer or later, I would DEFINITELY suggest two days. One is not enough to see and do it all.

nowsheflies

Original Poster
My family is definitely of the 'Disney and ONLY Disney' mentality and actually only a few are going with me to US (my teenage nephews and their dad) while the others are staying at the Mouse House. I guess I expected to hear that I would need at least two days so I think I'm going to try to make a really good case of staying an extra day. I adore Disney but I refuse to shortchange myself on Harry Potter.

JT3000

You probably don't need more than one day if you're really just interested in a limited number of attractions in each park. I can't imagine spending more than a couple hours in Wizarding World, as it's not that large. (although I'm not a HP fanatic.) With that said, I think it would be a bit of a waste to not do both parks properly, which would undoubtedly take two full days. At that time of year, you'll want Express either way, but keep in mind it can't be used at Forbidden Journey and likely Gringotts.

GLaDOS

This year, at that time of year, you will absolutely need 2 days.

You will more than likely need to wait in line for an hour or two merely to get into Diagon Alley, let alone to get on Hogwarts Express, Gringotts, and the shops.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
One day will be a mistake for first timers and repeat visits alike. Tell them that!

We go annually and have done for 7 years now. The past few years we've upped the days to 3 from 2. Actually last year was 4 but that's another story.

JillC LI

If you have a short list of things you want to see and do, then you will probably have a chance to do them all (except perhaps for Diagon Alley), especially with an express pass. However, there is no way you will see everything. Still, if your family won't go for more than one day, I say that some is better than none. We did a 1 day visit in 2009 (pre-WWOHP) and did almost everything we wanted, and we did another 1 day visit in 2012 in which we focused on WWOHP and again did most everything we wanted, but our wants were limited and reasonable under the circumstances.

maxairmike

Diagon Alley should be open, which means massive crowds, even bigger than typical summer crowds. If you want to experience DA, you'll want 2 days, as you will probably spend one whole day on just the two Potter areas given you'll be going when it is brand new. The crowds coming over on the HE will make Hogsmeade a bit more crowded than usual, and of course you'll be waiting in massive lines for everything at DA, including a line just to get into the land.

scoobygirl39541

We go every year used to be able to get everything we wanted done in 1 day, but caved a few years ago and now give 2 days to Uni. We are not HP fans nor do we ride the roller coasters in IOA, but we still need the extra day.

nowsheflies

Original Poster
Well, this isn't looking very good for me. I'll be seeing most of my family tomorrow so I'm going to push for an extra day but I'm not feeling very hopeful. I suppose even if I skip Flight of the Hippogriff, Dragon Challenge, and the Gringotts ride (assuming it's a roller coaster?), huge chunks of time will be used up just waiting to get into shops and onto the Hogwarts Express. I know we're going right smack in the middle of summer (having two teachers and a handful of teenagers in the family dictates that unfortunately) but are there days of the week that are statistically a bit less crowded?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Gringotts won't be a roller coaster in the traditional sense of the ride. It will be state of the art and possibly the most amazing attraction in North America when it opens. Miss it at your own risk!

nowsheflies

Original Poster
Ok, this is the plan now: we're going in all day Wednesday and at least half of the day, if not longer, on Thursday. We'll leave in time for a dinner reservation at the Poly Thursday evening. So I do feel a bit better about this!

But about the Gringotts ride--can anyone tell me a bit more about it? I guess I was wrong thinking it was a roller coaster; is it more like the Mummy (which I've never ridden but watched Youtube videos of it)? If there aren't any big deal drops (seriously, I won't even ride Splash Mountain!) I definitely want to ride it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom