First time going to Disney

Epcot82Guy

ill definately let you know how it goes. thank you all for the wonderful info. i just cant wait to get there. :animwink:

Do you know if there are maps designed to work on a pda? my boyfriend was thinking of bringing it with him. that way if we decide we loved something and later want to do it again, we could find it easier than walking all over the place.

I haven't come across those, but there are plenty of map JPEGS online, so you could download one fairly easily. I think you will find the parks are pretty easy to navigate, though. One (albeit lowtech) suggestion is to get a compilation brochre or individual park brochures (every resort should have these) and carry a pen. As odd as it sounds, take notes before/after an attraction. If you like it, mark it.

I think you will find, though, that most things stay in your head, and the navigation will start to become second nature.

dreamscometrue

I'm really happy for you. Our first trip was in 2003, and we all fell in love with WDW (as evidenced by time spent on these boards). Last year was our first Christmas trip and I know that you will enjoy it so much. It's beautifully decorated and there is no snow! (I noticed that you live in Mass., and I live in Canada 10 hours northeast of Boston, so we all appreciate no snow and temperatures in the 70's in December).

My best tip: Get up and get to the parks before they open. People always plan to do this, and everyone knows that's a great time to get alot done, but most arrive after 11am. If you can get there early, you can do so much before lunch...it's awesome.

emwatdworld

mkylovr:

My wife daughter and I will be at WDW the exact same dates as you and your party (9th to the 16th)! See you there! We try to go every other year or so, usually similar dates in December. We have typically found the crowds to not be a problem and the weather great.

Being your first time, you will have the time of your life! We just had our first trip in 2000 and just could not believe the experience! We had so much fun on that first trip that we actually went to expense of extending a couple of days, changing airline reservations and so on. It was worth it.

Be sure to let us know how you liked in upon your return!

Ed

DisneyBride94

I am going to disney for the first time 3 weeks from tomorrow. My boyfriend of 10 years has been a bunch of times when he was a kid. My best friend and her husband are going too. We are staying at the Coranodo Springs resort. i am so excited to be going. I am obsessed with Mickey Mouse. I have a Sorcerers Apprentice tattoo in purple.

Is there any advce you all can give me? What to do, what not to do?

Thanks

Welcome Mkylvr and fellow Massachusetts person. (I used to go to summer camp in Georgetown and grew up in Saugus.)

You are going to have the most amazing time! Welcome to the boards!

Coronado Springs is a great hotel--you will love it...

My first advice would be to look at a map of the hotel and put in a room request for a building that best meets your needs related to proximity to El Centro, the main part of the hotel, and also bus stops and either the main pool or quiet pool.

Since you are going with out children... I'd say stay near the Main Pool so you can take advantage of the spa at night.... it's quite large and it's fun to hang out there and meet other adults.

There is also a nice bar at Coronado Springs....so that's a fun place to walk to for a drink if you are having a more relaxed evening....

I dont know if you are on the dining plan or not...but if so...congratulations because the counter service restaurant, The Pepper Market, is a fantastic value...the meals are all made to order and there are some pretty pricey things on the menu...so you can really make the most of the meal plan eating there... If you are NOT on the meal plan, eating there can be a bit spendy...

Regardless of whether you are on the meal plan or not...if you wish to eat at any sit down restaurants during your stay... I recommend you make some advanced reservations now...as the more popular eateries tend to fill up quickly and you may not be able to eat there...

I always look at the disney site to figure out in advance which days the parks are open for extra magic hours each morning and afternoon and plan my touring accordingly... I figure out which days I'd like to be at which parks... and then make dining reservations at each or the parks.

While the Magic Kingdom is always great.... my husband and I especially enjoy EPCOT... The eateries there are quite good... My favorite restaurant there is Le Cellier... I was unable to get a reservation there last time... :( IT is a steakhouse inside Canada. The food is great... While visiting Canada, check the performance marquis at Canada Stage and see when Off Kilter is playing--they put on a good show.

I also like to eat at San Angel Inn at Mexico's Pavilion... it has great authentic Mexican food and the ambiance is great. Ask for a seat by El Rio (The river)....it's worth the wait...you can take the ride and shop the indoor market while you wait for your table... Don't skip the margaritas, they are pricey, but worth it. :)

When trying rides with long lines like Mission Space, Test Track, Soaring and Everest....if you don't mind riding in a separate car from your friends, try the single rider line...you'll get through the lines really quickly....

Try to be at the parks when they open--you'll accomplish much more if you are there at the turnstyles when they open... before the crowds get there....

I find it's helped me to have a touring plan... so that we don't spend the first hour of every morning discussin where we are going and when we are leaving... If you've got maps already.... look at the maps of each park and figure out what things you want to do each day...so you don't criss cross the parks too much... It can be a lot of walking and doubling back...

We usually start out our MK days at Adventureland... then over to Frontierland...

Oh...for eateries.... the California Grill can not be beat--it's at the top of the Contemporary and has a great view of MK... the food is top notch, it's a lovely place.... Other more upscale places to dine include Narcoose's at the Grand Floridian, and Artists Point at the Wilderness Lodge (take monorail to either Contemporary or Grand Floridian for the first two, and the boat to Wildnerness Lodge for the latter).

I also REALLY like the Kona Cafe at the Polynesian...it's a great lunch destination...take the monorail over and eat a nice table service meal in air conditioning vs. standign in line at MK and eating in a crowded place where it is hard to find a table... great place to recharge your batteries...and the Poly is a gorgeous hotel to visit. It's not going to cost you much more to eat there vs. a counter service at MK... and they have fantastic burgers and great coffee.

Are you taking Disney's Magical Express...pack a day bag for things you need upon arrival...

If you get a chance to do Typhoon Lagoon--do it...it's really worth doing...and is a great place to relax and have fun...

Avoid MK on the weekends unless you want crowds.

Check out Pleasure Island...worth going to.... make sure to see the show at The Adventurer's Club library....and the Commedy Warehouse Show...

Raglan Road...the Irish "Pub" at Pleasure Island has great food, a beautiful decor, live band, and is very reasonably priced. The entertainment begins at 8PM, I believe...so plan accordingly...

I was at WDW last month...and Pleasure Island was under construction and didnt look as good as it normally does...hopefully the construction will be completed before you get there...

Have you gotten tix for the Mickey's Christmas Party thingy? I've never been to that myself...but I would definitely go if I were going at the right time of year... It's a separate ticket...but I bet it is totally worth going to....we do the Hallowen party every year... totally worth it...

Just a few top of mind things.... happy to dicuss more if you PM me. :) You can also feel free to IM me...

April

DisneyBride94

Oh, I forgot to suggest you eat at the Sci Fi Diner at MGM...that place rocks.. Don't bother with Mama Melroses...in my opinion if you've eaten at Boston's North End..you will not be at all impressed with this place... Bla to say the least... Sci Fi is not gourmet or anythign...but it's fun...have a milk shake... You eat in a little car and watch old Sci Fi movies... :)

At Animal Kingdom we recommend Flame Tree BBQ....eat at a table down by the water...

(Can you tell for us that Disney is all about food choices???).

DH wen to Disney for the first time at 25...on our honeymoon...and he was just blown away... we go back every year now with our family.

KrazyKowboy

I really believe that you have to allow yourself to let go and really immerse yourself in the experience. the first time i saw cindy's castle, i was 20 but i felt like a 5 year old little girl. it really was and still is a fantastic emotion to have.

have fun and welcome to the obsession-it will only get worse from here on out:wave:!

I guess that's the Magic of Disney !! I'm a 50+ year old man and it has the same effect on me everytime I walk down Main Street our first day there. The lump in the throat and all that ! We've just got 7 more days until we'll be there and I'm already starting to get like that again.

It's a most amazing time of year to be in WDW, the holiday decorations, special music and programs, and all the CM's and characters decked out in their best holiday attire cannot be outdone anywhere else you could be during the holidays.

You're sure to have a magical vacation, I hope you enjoy it. :xmas:

mkylovr

Original Poster
Oh, I forgot to suggest you eat at the Sci Fi Diner at MGM...that place rocks.. Don't bother with Mama Melroses...in my opinion if you've eaten at Boston's North End..you will not be at all impressed with this place... Bla to say the least... Sci Fi is not gourmet or anythign...but it's fun...have a milk shake... You eat in a little car and watch old Sci Fi movies... :)

At Animal Kingdom we recommend Flame Tree BBQ....eat at a table down by the water...

(Can you tell for us that Disney is all about food choices???).

DH wen to Disney for the first time at 25...on our honeymoon...and he was just blown away... we go back every year now with our family.

all of your info is great. i cant wait to get there. my boyfriend of 10 years gre up in Saugus on Clifton Ave. small world. :animwink:

EPCOT.nut

8 days is plenty of time to explore WDW! Don't pass up the Indy Cars at MK. The long track is fun and if you look around you can see the other MK icons - the TTA overhead, space mountain looming over it on one side. Don't wear a short skirt on it, tho. I have seen undies when I have been in a line on the bridge over the track. :lol: Also hit the Frontierland Shooting Gallery. It is easy to walk past and not see it but be sure to play there for a few minutes.

Check out an online map of the parks (or a real one if you have it!) and get a feel for the layout.

And buy yourself some souvenirs! I always regret not getting a little something from the parks!

uconn2323

Hello,

I will be in Disney for the exact dates that you will be. The suggestions you have received so far are excellent! I will only add a link for you since you were asking about maps on your PDA.

I believe you said you had the unofficial guide. They reference their touring plans which were designed by MIT graduates. They are an absolute must! In the past 2 weeks, they have actually enabled them to now be downloaded to a PDA.

You have to pay for this but it comes with a one year subscription to the touring plans website. Supposedly it can save you a tremendous amount of time so you can spend more time on rides and less time in lines. I haven't downloaded it yet but will do so this weekend for my trip.

Go here: http://www.handango.com/
and search for 'touringplans' as one word. Click on the OS you will use, hopefully Palm or RIM as it seems those are the only two that are supported at the moment.

I believe the cost is $13.95. Seems well worth it if it truly does save time. Seems cool to have all the extras like restaurant reviews, show descriptions, etc on your PDA, especially if you are new to Disney World.

Gosh, I just re-read my post. Man, it sounds like a commercial for this software! Hope these guys appreciate the free plug, especially since I haven't even used the service yet!

Have a wonderful time!!!

wesTcoastY

Oh...for eateries.... the California Grill can not be beat--it's at the top of the Contemporary and has a great view of MK... the food is top notch, it's a lovely place....

My first time to WDW was this past October. My friend took me to California Grill on top of the Contemporary for a few drinks and so we could see the Fireworks Display at MK. It was AWESOME. You can watch them from inside the restaurant or go outside on this long patio where you can hear the narration and music from the display as well. I think the sound is piped in-to the patio area. It was great!

We sat at the bar so we did not need reservations and we ended up having dinner there also. Great food.

davinakb

You've already gotten LOTS of great advice: visiting other resorts, priority dining seatings, etc. Just adding to the keep reading the boards/guides for planning tips. With eight days, there's plenty of time, but as you've been told, you still won't do it all.
  • Plan your parks, the MUST do attractions and then fastpass the rides accordingly.
  • If you can: bring cheap poncho, umbrella, cooler, bottled water with you. You're going with some WDW veterans, so they can help you pack and organize.
  • Pace yourself on the souvenir shopping, try to hit the discount Character Premiere at the Orlando Premium Outlets if you can.
  • Since you're a Mickey fan-pictures: EPCOT, there's the character greet at the front near Innovations; in D-MGM, there's the greeting place for Sorcerer Mickey between to the old WWTBAM and the Backlot Tour; AK has Safari Mickey (best chance for pics at the character breakfast).
  • MVMCP: great idea, suggest a weekday party, as it may be a little less crowded. (Plus, there's a chance for Christmas pics with Mickey.)
Relax and have fun.

no2apprentice

If I repeat any advice already given, forgive me. I looked through the posts, and thought I would add these suggestions.

Since you have the Unofficial Book and eight days, consider doing the two-day plan for Magic Kingdom and maybe even two days for Epcot. The Christmas crowds will be picking up, and if you break up these two parks, you will have more time in the afternoon and evenings to "go exploring." These two parks have so much to see and experience, and it makes fighting the crowds a little easier.

Follow a plan. Any plan. Having a plan to follow will allow you to do more and enjoy more, than just wondering around with an open map in front of you trying to figure out what to do next.

Remember - just because it's Disney doesn't mean that everything will be perfect. Be flexible, be patient, and enjoy the Disney magic...but always remember that even magic can't prevent delayed buses and long lines at the counter-service restaurants. Go with the flow and have fun.

We have never had a bad experience with a CM (knock on wood), but then, we always smile and say hi, or make friendly conversation with the CM's we encounter.

If you're even considering eating at a sit down restaurant, make an advanced reservation. Make as many as you can. I can't tell you how many times I've gone into a restaurant to check in at our time, and watch the people in front of me without a reservation get turned away because the restaurant was completely booked. This is true for lunch as well as dinner. Don't take the chance this time of year...make the reservation. You can always cancel it if you change your plans.

I hope you and those in your group have a wonderful time. Have fun!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom