First time flyer anything I should know

Mongomil

My wife and I are heading down in September and flying for the first time. Is there any clever little flying tips we should know about? We do have a connecting flight at JFK on the way down and back. Each ways layover is about 1 hour. We are taking JetBlue if that really matters.​

wendysue

I have a problem with my ears not popping, so we buy Earplanes. They are soft, rubbery earplugs that you put in and somehow they help relieve the pressure as you climb and descend. Won't fly without them.

Upvote 0

WDW2010

ps... the liquid issue must vary from airport to airport. At Logan, I have NEVER removed liquids from my carry one, and although they are in a quart bag I def exceed the 3.5 ounce rule (some of my colognes for example).

At T.F. Green the same thing here, bah oh well :shrug:

Upvote 0

Mongomil

Original Poster
Well to drive hmmmm, four days of travel would equal two days at the park or fly and have six days at the parks. Belive me I enjoy the drive but time does not permit it this time. So no insisting that we fly it's just the only way to do it this time. And thanks for that web page Moving Forward that was a pretty complete one. Now the flying part does not bother either of us. Actually it is ruining my record of being in a plane six other times and only landing with it once. That once was when I was seven years old. The other five times I have jumped out of the plane doing AFF(Acelerated Free Fall) working twords my sky diving licence.

Upvote 0

syoungkin39

One note about the food. THe one person mentioned "bag of peanuts". Most airlines are doing away from those and offering free drinks at most. The exception is if the the flight is over 2 hours. Then they will offer food for a price unless you're in first class (in which case, you get better food and it's free).

As for finding your way through MCO, head towards the baggage claim area and you will quickly see cast members there. It's hard to miss them because they have giant Mickey hands pointing up (literally, they do) and they will be more than happy to direct you to where you need to go.

Despite the other person's gripes about flying, I have had more positive experiences than negative overall. While I have had flights delayed and cancelled in the past along with luggage that was delayed in its arrival, my flying experiences have been 90% positive. Thus, relax, have fun and have a truly magical time while down in Disney!

Upvote 0

tizzo

One note about the food. THe one person mentioned "bag of peanuts". Most airlines are doing away from those and offering free drinks at most. The exception is if the the flight is over 2 hours. Then they will offer food for a price unless you're in first class (in which case, you get better food and it's free).

While this is true, the good news for the OP is that JetBlue is the sole (as far as I know) exception. They still offer free beverage and snack service - at least they did a couple of month ago last time I flew them.

Upvote 0

disney dharling

If you have sinus issues your ears will drive you crazy. Take whatever you use to clear them 30 minutes before take off, and if your flight is 4 hours or longer, again before landing. Sudafed has been my constant flying companion for years. The Earplanes do work great if you don't mind wearing them.

Upvote 0

COProgressFan

An hour layover is cutting it a bit close for my tastes, especially because JetBlue is not the best for on-time performance. (This is a consequence of the lower prices - they pay less for airport services and as a result get lower priority access to those service, meaning that if the airport is experiencing delays, JetBlue is among the first to be affected). But they will do everything they can to get you where you're going. For this reason, I'd suggest trying to get a seat near the front of the plane on your first flight. The closer you are to the front the more quickly you can get off.

Not to start an argument, but this is just not true. Jetblue or any other airline does not "pay less for airport services" and thus gets a lower priority. It's just not the way airlines or airports are run.

That said, despite all the talk about delays/cancellation/TSA issues, etc., you have a 95% chance everything will turn out fine where you will check in, get through security easily, and have a completely uneventful trip. If an issue arises, be patient and reasonable. Eventually you will get to your destination. Particularly when going in and out of JFK, delays may occur, but don't let it ruin your mood or your trip.

Upvote 0

fractal

aisle seats are best - although as a first time flier you will probably love the window seat with the view.

The arm rests are usually designed so that you can lift them up between the seats which will give you some more room.

Statistically, you have a better chance of surviving a crash if you sit in the front part of the plane - the "middle" is the worst.

Bring plenty of music, reading, mints, gum.

Don't let the turbulence scare you. It's part of flying and the plane will not fall out of the sky.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

My take, it is all personal.

I used to fly quite often. Not so much now that the economy is in in the toilet and the kibosh has been put on all non-essential corporate travel. Now, between personal and corporate travel, I may only fly 5 or 6 times a year.

1) I never have to take off my belt. When I get to the airport keys and change go in my carry-on. The only thing I need to remove at security is my watch, cell phone, and shoes (and jacket if I have one). It takes me all of 30 seconds (how long does it take to untie a pair of shoes). This brings me back to my comments that while flying used to be something special, it is now no more than Greyhound with wings. I still tend to dress semi-decently because I would feel out of place in a lounge in a track suit (or worse, what I sleep in :D)

2) LISTEN to when your row is called, and please don't pile around the entrance to the jetway waiting for your row. It just causes a traffic jam and does not get you on the plane any faster.

3) Same goes for getting off the plane. If you have checked baggage and it is not tagged priority (does JetBlue even do that?) there is no point racing to the baggage claim to have to wait 30 minutes for your luggage.

4) Look behind you before whipping your seat back at the speed of sound. Those of us who are 6' 4" and have kneecaps we would like to keep thank you in advance.

5) I have checked luggage dozens of times, and have never had a peice go missing.

6) I have had flights cancelled or delayed more times than I care to relate. Just take it as it goes, and work with people. I always try to work WITH the agents to find alternatives. They are not the ones who caused the delay or cancellation. I have been put on planes that were supposedly full and with a standby list. Maybe it is because I am nice, plesant, and say please and thank you?

7) As far as flying itself. Unless you have anxiety or maybe inner ear problems, it is no more exciting or eventfull than driving in a car. Relax and enjoy the flight (as much as one can)

I see a whole bunch of suggestions from headphones, to movies, to music. It all depends on you. For me, none of that is necessary - I sleep on planes. I can be out before take off, and don't wake up until final approach. I was on a flight to the Grand Caymans once with some friends. I fell asleep while on the taxiway. I woke up 90 minutes later and looked around and we were on the ground. I said "wow, that was quick, were landed allready?" My friend said "no, we are on delay, we have not taken off yet". I said "Oh" and went back to sleep and did not wake up until well into the flight. They were quite jealous :) (I love telling that story)

-dave

Upvote 0

tizzo

Not to start an argument, but this is just not true. Jetblue or any other airline does not "pay less for airport services" and thus gets a lower priority. It's just not the way airlines or airports are run.

Perhaps an oversimplification on my part, but what I said is consistent with what JetBlue has told me in the past when I've complained about delays and cancellations. And a very low fare airline looking to start up here in Melbourne had to pull the plug at the last minute because they had evidently misunderstood a lease agreement they'd signed with EWR - don't remember the details, but it boiled down to that they were paying lower fees for a lower priority of service - and hadn't anticipated just how low :) Of course again, that was just their story when they went out of business at literally the last minute, so I don't know for sure.

What's most important is that they do tend to have poor on-time performance compared to other airlines. The why is somewhat irrelevant. I guess they think you're just supposed to shut up and take it since you're flying so cheap...

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Perhaps an oversimplification on my part, but what I said is consistent with what JetBlue has told me in the past when I've complained about delays and cancellations. And a very low fare airline looking to start up here in Melbourne had to pull the plug at the last minute because they had evidently misunderstood a lease agreement they'd signed with EWR - don't remember the details, but it boiled down to that they were paying lower fees for a lower priority of service - and hadn't anticipated just how low :) Of course again, that was just their story when they went out of business at literally the last minute, so I don't know for sure.

What's most important is that they do tend to have poor on-time performance compared to other airlines. The why is somewhat irrelevant. I guess they think you're just supposed to shut up and take it since you're flying so cheap...

I think they are oversimplfying what they are telling you.

They are getting the same ramp service as everyone else. What happens is JetBlue has comparitively less departure and arrival slots than other airlines, especialy at hub airports. Second, JetBlue flys a LOT of full flights.

What this means is when something happens, a weather delay, a ground hold, a ramp issue, whatever, JetBlue has less 'wiggle room' to work with. Someone like Continental at Newark has a boat load of slots to move flights around with. They also have a larger work force on the ground so they are move more people around. They also have more actual metal to work with as well, so when a plane has problems, they can play the swap game until they get it back to operational status. If a flight is delayed and the crew can no longer fly due to time constraints, Jet Blue has a harder time getting in a new crew.

Of course one alternative is to take people off of a Jet Blue flight and put them on another carrier, but that is a last resort.

The number of slots, the number of gates, the gate facilites, etc are all part of the lease agreement, but servicing of the flights is all the same.

-dave

Upvote 0

syoungkin39

Amen to everything PhoneDav said for his tips. Personally, I wish they would read a number of them (such as the not crowding the gate until your row number is called and the not whipping back of the seats) to new/inexperienced fliers because it does make the boarding process easier.

As for me, I have been flying on a weekly basis for years now and have had my luggaged lost only twice. In the first case, I got it the very next day and the second was due to the blizzard from 2 years ago that closed down all airports on the east coast. Due to my flight schedule, I didn't see the luggage until a week later but that was an extraordinary case.

Now, I have had flights delayed/cancelled approximately 10-15% of the time. As PhoneDav mentioned, be pleasant with the clerk. For the most part they are are trying their best though I have had some idiots such as the guy who swore that a 35 minute layover in Houston was "more than enough time" to change flights that were at opposite ends of the airport. Otherwise, be patient and work with them. They will find an alternate flight or, if necessary, a flight on alternate airline.

Finally, in regards to the belt, I never had to remove my belt either until the airports I went through started switching to full-body scanners. For the normal gate scanners (the ones you just walk through), it won't detect your belt unless you have a large belt buckle. For the full body scanners (the ones where you stand with your arms raised for 3 seconds), they will require you to remove your belt.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Now, I have had flights delayed/cancelled approximately 10-15% of the time. As PhoneDav mentioned, be pleasant with the clerk. For the most part they are are trying their best though I have had some idiots such as the guy who swore that a 35 minute layover in Houston was "more than enough time" to change flights that were at opposite ends of the airport. Otherwise, be patient and work with them. They will find an alternate flight or, if necessary, a flight on alternate airline.

Yep, I have had the occassional agent that was useless - Once when picking up my kids who were flying as unaccompinied minors, one issued me a pass and then said "I don't know what gate that flight is comming in on, you will have to figure it out when you get down there". Um, this is terminal A at Newark. There are three security checkpoints and each has access to a unique set of gates. How am I supposed to get airside to check with a gate agent without going through security first?

Really though, most of them are just trying to do a job to the best of their abilities. If there are 120 seats on a plane, and 130 want to get on that flight, they have to bump 10 people. There is nothing they can do about that. Although I did have them give me train tickets on the Acela Express once, when my flight from Regan International to Newark was cancelled and there were no other flights that day. I got home at 2:30 AM, but I made it :)

-dave

Upvote 0

tizzo

I think they are oversimplfying what they are telling you.

Or they were lying...

They also have a larger work force on the ground so they are move more people around.

That's for sure. I remember the trip in question, my wife was flying home from Newark and had gotten a message on her voice mail saying that her departure from EWR had been moved to JFK. They said that transportation would be provided from EWR to JFK, but by the time she got the message it was far too late to get to EWR in time to catch that bus. So I was trying to sort things out on her behalf while she was trying to make her way to the airport, and I could NOT get anyone on the phone at JetBlue.

I finally found a local number at EWR, that put me on the phone with a JetBlue person in baggage claim, of all places, who was able to put her on a later flight out of EWR - and at no additional cost and with no change fee. But it was an extraordinary combination of internet savvy, persistence, and tremendous luck that I was able to pull it off. It certainly wasn't something most people could have managed even with a computer and a good internet connection - let alone a traveler en route to, or inside, the airport with nothing but a cell phone and an 800-number that nobody was answering.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom