First time flyer anything I should know

Mongomil

My wife and I are heading down in September and flying for the first time. Is there any clever little flying tips we should know about? We do have a connecting flight at JFK on the way down and back. Each ways layover is about 1 hour. We are taking JetBlue if that really matters.​

420WDW MONSTER

i don't know if its a tip or just bieng lazy but i always wear my pjs and slippers its so much faster through security. i don't like having to take off my belt and shoes and stuff like that. i don't know how long your going for but i never check bags, i always try to bring just carry ons, im scared of loosing my luggage:shrug:

Upvote 0

WDW2010

My wife and I are heading down in September and flying for the first time. Is there any clever little flying tips we should know about? We do have a connecting flight at JFK on the way down and back. Each ways layover is about 1 hour. We are taking JetBlue if that really matters.​

Hey good to see I wasn't the only one. My first time flying was actually on March 3rd of this month to WDW. At first I was very scared and did not know what to expect or how it would feel. We arrived at the airport and just like 420WDW said, wear something comfortable like pjs if you must. It's really annoying going through security and you have to take off your belt wallet this that shoes ugh, you go much faster if you have something simple as pjs and slippers on. Anyhow, finally time to take off I was petrified, do not worry my friend do not worry.

My girlfriend though I would HATE taking off I actually loved it. Surprisingly my ears did not pop or anything. Everyone says chew gum to help but luckily I didn't need to chew anything. Though I still had gum in my mouth just in case it was not needed. The flight there was amazing, they we did not have a connecting flight from what I hear it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Some flights when you land you stay on the plane and wait for other passengers to get on then you take off again, doesn't seem to be your case though. If you have any other questions just ask I'd love to answer them :)

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

I love jetblue its my favorite airline. Make sure to bring your own headphones for the TV's they charge you for them.The free Direct TV is just great or you can purchase a movie. JFK jetblue terminal is big and you will find an hour layover just about right to get off one plane and get to the gate for the next one. Remember they start boarding like a half hour before taking off. The terminal is clean and has lots of bathrooms and places you can use your laptop for free ( also Free WIFI thru out the terminal). You will get free drink and snack on the flight. Coke products. I wear jogging outfits when traveling and slip on shoes. No belts, not much jewelry, I carry a small backpack with my wallet in and headphones, camera, and medicines. Fits under my seat so if you want you can still bring a carry on with stuff in you don't want to lose if your luggage should get lost and put it in the overhead. traveled with them many times and my luggage always made it! HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!

Upvote 0

Ariel484

If you're using Magical Express, and they are getting your luggage, make sure you pack a change of clothes, important toiletries, etc. in your carry-on, since your luggage may not magically arrive in your room for a few hours. Also, make sure you properly pack liquids in your carry-on: http://www.tsa.gov/311/

Sorry if you already know this stuff...we're not big flyers, so I always need to review before our trips to WDW :lol:

Have a great trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

syoungkin39

I'm a frequent flyer (I am on the road 45+ weeks out of the year) and a number of tips you have been provided are good. Just a brief summary of the important ones:
1) GET TO THE AIRPORT EARLY. This is the most important one. Depending on what day/time you are leaving, security lines could be quite lengthy. I would try to get there 2 hours before your flight. If it's a long line, you still have time and, if it's not long, it will give you a chance to relax before the flight.

2) If possible, try not to check your bags. To be honest, I don't fly JetBlue (I fly Continental mostly) so I'm not sure what the checked bags fees are. If you can consolidate your luggage down to a carryon, it will save you time and money.

3) If you are not checking bags, print your tickets at home. It will result in one less line to stand in and will get you to your gate quicker.

4) The one-hour layover at JFK should be just about right but, as the other person mentioned, remember that boarding occurs 30-35 minutes prior to the flight so try not to dawdle too much.

5) If you are checking bags and staying at a Disney resort, make use of the Magical Express. I have used it many times down at Disney and using it again this May when I go again and I love it. By using ME, you don't have to worry about getting your bags and can just hop on a bus that will take you straight to your resort. Your luggage will follow you a few hours later and set out neatly in your hotel room.

6) Bring noise reducing headphones so you can either watch the Direct TV or listen to music on your own. I'm not sure how long the flights are but music helps pass the time faster and noise-reducing (if you have the money, Bose headphones are the best ones I've used) helps drown out other passengers and the plane

7) Remember you're allowed one carry-on and one personal item for the plane. The "one personal item" can be purse, backpack, computer bag, etc.

Overall, flying is not so bad. As I said, I do it, literally, every week and it's a fast way to get where you're going. Get to the airport early, dress comfortably and have fun and everything will be fine.

Upvote 0

syoungkin39

Two other comments:

1) If you are using ME, make sure you pack a carry-on for items you will need quickly (medicines, swimsuits, etc.) because it will be a few hours before you see your luggage (unless you choose to get your luggage yourself which I don't)

2) For liquids, remember that no liquids in your carry on can be over 3 ounces. Thus, shampoos, toothpaste, shaving creams, etc., all have to be travel size. TSA is strict about that and will pitch it. If you wish to have larger sizes, put them in your checked luggage (no such limitations there). Likewise, get your beverages AFTER you go through security for the same reason (it will be pitched if you try to take it through security).

Upvote 0

tizzo

I pretty much loathe flying. But if I have to fly, JetBlue is my absolute favorite. Definitely bring your own headset as others have said. JetBlue offers free DirectTV and Sirius at every seat, but only if you have (or buy) a headset.

Not checking any bags is a good tip if you can swing it, but there are things you absolutely may not carry on the plane that I simply cannot travel without. I'd urge you in any case not to be "that guy" who brings a huge suitcase on the plane that takes up your allotment of space in the overhead plus that of two other people.

An hour layover is cutting it a bit close for my tastes, especially because JetBlue is not the best for on-time performance. (This is a consequence of the lower prices - they pay less for airport services and as a result get lower priority access to those service, meaning that if the airport is experiencing delays, JetBlue is among the first to be affected). But they will do everything they can to get you where you're going. For this reason, I'd suggest trying to get a seat near the front of the plane on your first flight. The closer you are to the front the more quickly you can get off.

Upvote 0

Mukta

I fly jetblue at least twice a month. It is my favorite airline.

Jetblue allows you to check in one bag for free per passenger. The tv is great, the headsets are not. Bring your own headphones.

Get to the airport early. Regulars know what they are doing and get though the line fast. You will be slower since you aren't accustomed to everything.

There are strict rules about what you are allowed to bring in your carryon, especially with liquids. You can only bring one quart size ziploc bag per person. All of your liquids/gels have to be in a bottle less than 3.4 oz and all bottles have to fit into the ziploc bag. You won't be allowed to bring a bottle of water, but you can buy one after passing security.
http://www.tsa.gov/311/

Upvote 0

Mongomil

Original Poster
Thanks all for the info it helps alot. Didn't know about the 311 thing which is good to know. Oh ya the headphone thing is nice to know sence I have so many here at home. Would have hated to pay for something I know I have have here. We are staying for 5 nights so we are going to be checking luggage and using ME also.

Upvote 0

syoungkin39

In regards to the 311, they have stated about the 1 quart bag but in the past 5 years, I have only once been cited for not pulling out my liquids and putting them into a bag. All of the other times, I keep my liquids (all under 3.4 oz) in the mesh lining in my carry-on and TSA lets it go on through without any issues.

In regards to size, though, they are very strict and will toss any liquids over 3.4 ounces so be very careful about those.

Upvote 0

GOT2SAMMIES

1. Try to go online and get a map or general layout of the airports. Especially for connecting flights...an hour may seem long but if you have to get to a gate all the way across the terminal may cause issues...i.e. atlanta is HUGE for this...Never been to JFK
2. Orlando is a huge aiport...dont get overwhelmed...when in doubt follow the crowd... Orlando has a tram that goes from the terminals to the main building..there is a A side and a B side...(make sure you know which airline is which side when you fly back home)...Once to the terminal I believe you take the steps one flight down to get baggage and DME.
3. On returning to MCO with DMW-make sure you listen to which stops are which airlines you are going to..they normally make two stops (i presume this is the A side/B side thing)
4. slip on shoes are good...you must take your laptop out of the bag...headphones are good to have with your phone(if it has a mp3) or some have radio stations in the seats.
have fun!

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

OH MAN you take all the fun out of it that was gonna be the first thing I did once we got airborn. :ROFLOL:

haha seriously... nothing to worry about. Just kick back, all the airlines pretty much suck now a days with domestic flights. Smaller seats, less room... small bag of peanuts.

not like the good ol' days with crappy chicken.

Upvote 0

tizzo

1. Try to go online and get a map or general layout of the airports. Especially for connecting flights...an hour may seem long but if you have to get to a gate all the way across the terminal may cause issues...i.e. atlanta is HUGE for this...Never been to JFK
2. Orlando is a huge aiport...dont get overwhelmed...when in doubt follow the crowd... Orlando has a tram that goes from the terminals to the main building..there is a A side and a B side...(make sure you know which airline is which side when you fly back home)...Once to the terminal I believe you take the steps one flight down to get baggage and DME.
3. On returning to MCO with DMW-make sure you listen to which stops are which airlines you are going to..they normally make two stops (i presume this is the A side/B side thing)
4. slip on shoes are good...you must take your laptop out of the bag...headphones are good to have with your phone(if it has a mp3) or some have radio stations in the seats.
have fun!

All good info, which I'll just supplement a little bit.

First, Orlando International Airport (code MCO) has a website here:

http://www.orlandoairports.net/

Lots of good information, including terminal maps.

As GOTSAMMIES said, there are two terminals, A and B. JetBlue is in terminal A. Complete lists are available at the web site. And while it's a good idea to get off at the right stop :), don't panic if you miss it. The two terminals are actually just at opposite ends of the same building and it's easy to get from one side to the other even if you miss your stop. It's a little bit of a walk, but probably not even as far as end to end of an average regional mall - plus they have moving walkways.

That said, there's no reason to miss your stop - there are only two terminals and they will probably announce not only what terminal, but list the airlines at that terminal, when they stop. They might even ask your airline when you board to make sure you get off at the right place.

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

ps... the liquid issue must vary from airport to airport. At Logan, I have NEVER removed liquids from my carry one, and although they are in a quart bag I def exceed the 3.5 ounce rule (some of my colognes for example).

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom