First time at All Star

Horizons1986

So my fiancee and I are taking a spur of the moment trip to Disney World in January '08. Since this was last minute planned, we wanted to spend as little money as possible without losing too much of the Disney magic. We have decided to stay at the All Star Movies Resort.

I was just curious what the All Stars were like. Once, about ten year ago, I stayed one night at All Star Music with a friend while visiting his grandma and we were only at the resort long enough to sleep.

Basically I am used to staying mostly at the moderate resorts and occassionally the deluxe. Am I in for a surprise as far as the difference between resort types? How do you guys feel about a week + stay at the All Star?

Thanks!!

toystoryma

imo, a tad smaller, and a little more "gaudy" theming than at the moderates. Our favorite All Stars is Sports because its the first stop for the buses. But now, our fav is POP Century. Rooms are slightly bigger, and the pools are great.

Upvote 0

Flower'sChild

In a way I look at the AllStars as the heart of DisneyWorld :) I really feel the Magic in this place. The childlike icons are awesome :sohappy: They have a very nice Herbie icon in AllStarMovies and it's great for photos :wave: The pools don't have spas like at the moderates and there are not sit down meals, but the value resorts each have a nice food court that is opened from about 6 or 7 a.m. until midnight.

The transporation to the theme parks is great at the value resorts, just as it's great at any Disney resort. Now the buses do get kinda crowded sometimes like when the theme parks close, but if you are staying at AllStars you could always take the bus to Music and just walk to Movies ( if the bus line for Music is not as long ) :) I can give you a lot of tips :wave:

If you have little children I noticed that they sometimes have games for kids at the AllStar pools and you might want to check that out. You have lots of pools that you can use at AllStars. No matter which AllStar you are staying at you can use any pool at any AllStars.

I feel like AllStars is the heart of DisneyWorld. You see it's a very simple resort and yet it is so much fun and I just feel that Disney magic when I am there. You don't have all those sit down eating places right around you at the value resorts, but I always say it's fun to enjoy the Disney ride over there. If I want to go to the Cape May I walk to the bus stop and wait for either the Mgm bus or the Epcot bus. You can walk to Cape may from Mgm and Epcot. If I want to go to Maya Grill I get on the bus to Animal Kingdom and then take the bus to Coronado Springs and I am there.
AllStars is very close to Animal Kingdom, Coronado Springs and Animal Kingdom Lodge. Now I don't drive, but if you have a car you can get to that nice place called Boma in Animal Kingdom Lodge really fast from the AllStars :wave:

I have stayed in both Pop Century and AllStars and I love them both, but for some reason I really like AllStars. Like I said I feel like the AllStarResorts is the heart of DisneyWorld and that is where I plan to stay during my next birthday vacation :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Rob562

One other tip... If you're placed in the Mighty Ducks buildings at Movies, many of the rooms there are physically closer to Music's food court and bus stops than they are to Movies'. It's a very short walk across the parking lot.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The biggest difference it the lack of really deep architectural theming and a table service restaurant. The values are basically a simple hotel building with Disney theming tacked on the sides and incorporated into the interior decor. The rooms are clean and slightly smaller that a moderate. The cast members are just as nice at the all stars as they are at the deluxe resorts. About the worst thing about the values is because they are the least expensive they are the logical choice for large groups (football and soccer teams, church groups etc.) So on occasion you can run into a situation where there is a disproportionate kid to adult ratio and kids do not always behave like they should.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Our favorite All Stars is Sports because its the first stop for the buses. But now, our fav is POP Century. Rooms are slightly bigger, and the pools are great.

All-Star and Pop Century rooms are the same size - however - they have different furniture in Pop and have the beds in slightly different locations - so the rooms may seem a little bigger.

Upvote 0

Eyekimore

I have to be honest- I do tend to favor the POP. However- we stayed at the All-Star Sports last summer and had a terrific time! When you stay value- you usually spend more time in the parks. I have a small issue with the pools-in that there's not a lot of shade. (I BURN very easily) I just choose to use the pools at different times of day to avoid afternoon sun. You will have a terrific time! The idea of visiting other hotels using the bus system is something we do on every trip- even when we stay at the Beach Club. I would rather stay All-Stars (versus hotel alley) if it meant I could be at WDW!

Upvote 0

daverube

The theming is fine. However, be aware that if you request a King size bed, you will only get a room with a handicap shower. It doesn't bother me, but some posters have found it a little different....

Other than that, as with any value resort, be sure you bring ear plugs so you can get a good some actual sleep.... :brick:

dave

Upvote 0

MattyFresh

The only time I had a problem with noise at All Star Movies was when everyone was leaving in the morning, you could hear the doors slamming shut. but other then that, noise wasn't a big problem. Maybe I just had some really quiet people around??

Upvote 0

bgraham34

For a quick cheap trip you can't beat staying at the cheaper resorts like All Stars. Its all extra money that goes into buying Mickey Ears. Have a great trip.

Upvote 0

Thiger

They're all right.
I mean, if you're not big on staying in a gaudy motel for a week, then you're a-o-k.

My brother felt like it was a bit creepy (the oversized icons and the like) and said he had some crazy nightmares (he's 35...go figure :p

Anyway, they're a cheap alternative and you spend a lot of time in the parks. I always choose the Sports as you get picked up by the buses first and usually can find a seat. I'd like to try pop cen though, maybe next year?

I used the money i saved for MNNSHP and went a lil more wild in Downtown than usual, lol...just ask Sugar Snaps. ;)

Upvote 0

Horizons1986

Original Poster
Thanks for all the good information!!

I don't think the large groups will be too much of a problem since we will be there the second week of January, but you never know.

It does sound like the resort will be just fine and I agree that the money saved will be used elsewhere in the world anyways!

Upvote 0

Flower'sChild

Thanks for all the good information!!

I don't think the large groups will be too much of a problem since we will be there the second week of January, but you never know.

It does sound like the resort will be just fine and I agree that the money saved will be used elsewhere in the world anyways!

Did you say that you are staying for a week. I check in on the 19th of January so we might be there at the same time :wave:

Upvote 0

Horizons1986

Original Poster
Unfortunately I will only be there from the 5th thru the 19th. I guess it is better than not going at all though.

For awhile I went every two/three years until 2001 and then it was 6 more years until the next trip!! I can't even imagine doing that again!

Upvote 0

Flower'sChild

Unfortunately I will only be there from the 5th thru the 19th. I guess it is better than not going at all though.

For awhile I went every two/three years until 2001 and then it was 6 more years until the next trip!! I can't even imagine doing that again!

That will be an awesome vacation :sohappy: I plan for my trip to be from 1-19-2008 to 2-1-2008 :sohappy: Well it looks like we will both be at AllStars on the 19 :wave: I will be pre-checking in very early in the morning and than I will be going to Princess story book dining.

I booked a breakfast at Princess story in book dining in Epcot for 8:30 a.m. ( that is when it opens lol ) :) Epcot does not even open until 9:00 a.m. so I will be able to get in early :) I plan to be the first one in line for my Princess character meal and I am going all by myself :wave: This is going to be so much fun :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Horizons1986

Original Poster
Yeah, how nice would it be to find a rental car for $100 a week! I am sure that I could't find one, but I just assume not have a car that is going to break down on me.

That quote about the "unwashed masses", that really cracked me up!~:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

FloridaJoshua

We have stayed at Allstars, Pop Century, and all of the moderate resorts. From what I remember, here are the major differences:
  • The moderates offer much more space. I'm not sure of the exact dimensions, but it feels like the value resorts are about 2/3 the size of the moderates.
  • The moderates have refrigerators in every room. At value resorts, you pay $10 per day to rent a portable one.
  • Moderates have bus stops that are covered (out of the rain/sun). The line for the bus stops at value resorts is out in the open.
  • The moderates have a main pool with elaborate theming with water slides and hot tubs. The moderates also have smaller "Quiet Pools" that are a little more plain. Value resorts have no water slides or hot tubs and the pools feel smaller (although this might be due to the lack of the smaller quiet pools).
  • Landscaping at the moderates is better. There are a lot of trees and they look like they have been there for quite some time. The value resorts are landscaped, but it reminds me of the type of landscaping you'll see a a shopping center (you know, bulldoze the most of the big trees, pave everything, and then drop in a few small trees where it's convenient).
  • Moderates have table service restaurants with a higher quality of food. Values do not have table service. Both have counter service style food courts with similar food.
  • Moderate resorts have more buildings; most are only 2 stories tall. Value resorts have fewer buildings that are 3-4 stories tall. This makes the moderates feel a bit more private.
  • Moderate resorts have boat and bike rentals. Value resorts don't have the space for these amenities.
  • While walking the moderate resorts, I have often seen rabbits and ducks around the resort. I haven't seen them at the value resorts. (My nephew saw one at the Caribbean Beach; he spent the rest of our visit "hunting" for rabbits.)
As a general rule, if we are going just to spend 1 night, we'll get the value resort since we aren't going to be at the resort long enough to enjoy it. If we go for a longer trip, we try to get a moderate.

Of course, this is just based on memory. Your mileage may vary. Whatever you choose, have fun.

:cool:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom