First Ever Half Marathon race report!

Texas84

Congratulations! You have been an inspiration but I ain't doing the Goofy! :lol: I wore my half medal on Marathon Day. Hope you got as much attention as I did! :wave:

Erin_Akey

Original Poster
:sohappy::sohappy:

Yaaaayyy! I knew you'd do it! And I love love loooove that in the end you never even saw a sweeper. WooHOOOO!!!!

I'll be honest, I've avoided the running board like the plague for quite some time. My running totally fell off after we got heavy into our first year homeschooling and I've been really down on myself about it. The pig-outs of the DDP in November coupled with the holiday gluton and here I sit back where I started in terms of weight loss and ability. The only difference is the knowledge and guilt. In so many things in life, ignorance is bliss. LOL! You're a true inspiration, Erin. Your report brought tears to my eyes. I'm so proud for you and renewed in my determination to get my old bod back on a healthier path.

Thanks so very much for sharing your experience. You rock, girl!

And BTW, can I just say you look totally fab?! High five to ya, honey! You deserve it! :wave:

Awww! You are too sweet! The kind words motivate me more than you know! All I can say is do NOT get down on yourself! Just make it a plan to take one walk around the block. Then go two and so on and so on. Each step will lead to the next and before you know it, you will be right back where you want to be! All of the people on this forum were such an inspiration to me and never got ugly when i whined about sweepers and such. Just stick with this awesome group and it will motivate you!

Maybe I will see you during the Wine and Dine!

My Facebook status today- "CROSSING THAT FINISH LINE FELT WAY BETTER THAN ANY OF THE CRAPPY FOOD I EVER ATE TASTED!"

If Erin Akey can do this, ANYONE can! you have the head start of being a former runner. i was a serious couch potato!

Erin_Akey

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for all of the really kind words. I can tell you that the encouragement i got on this board really helped me during the training and during the weeks when i couldn't train!

YOU GUYS ALL ROCK!!!!!:sohappy:

I WANT TO DEFINITELY GET TO MEET SOME OF YOU AT THE WINE AND DINE!!!!

Main Street USA

Congrats, Erin! Glad to hear you did so well. It seems you were more than prepared to take on this challenge. I love the before and after photo, too. You look fantastic!

MickeyBen

First of all I want to say that I totally agree with all the things my wife said in her race report. We had a blast!! I had so much fun training along side my wife and can tell you for a fact that without her I would not have had the determination to stick with it and actually do the half!! My wife is a very special lady and we have come a long way in our effort to get healthy and happy! Running has become our healthy together activity. When we found that we could combine our enjoyment of running with our thrill of Disney we jumped at the chance to run the half marathon! I have no complaints of the Saturday race! I had a blast and it was so very special to cross the finish line hand in hand with my wife! Ohhh and I have my bling!! The full marathon is on the schedule for next year! I can't wait!!!!!!!! Oh..... Baby, I Love you so much and it was a joy and pleasure to train and run with you!! You are my bestest buddy and I am looking forward to continuing our journey, hand in hand!!

Main Street USA

I read some reports that it was crazily crowded and the offerings were not really worth the chaos.
Yeah, that was basically it. It was very tough to get through the crowd right after the finish. Then the one drink and one food coupon coupled with only two attractions being open was a little weak for an after party.

After the ToT 13k after party that included RnRC, ToT, GMR TSM, etc., it just didn't compare.

Main Street USA

First of all I want to say that I totally agree with all the things my wife said in her race report. We had a blast!! I had so much fun training along side my wife and can tell you for a fact that without her I would not have had the determination to stick with it and actually do the half!! My wife is a very special lady and we have come a long way in our effort to get healthy and happy! Running has become our healthy together activity. When we found that we could combine our enjoyment of running with our thrill of Disney we jumped at the chance to run the half marathon! I have no complaints of the Saturday race! I had a blast and it was so very special to cross the finish line hand in hand with my wife! Ohhh and I have my bling!! The full marathon is on the schedule for next year! I can't wait!!!!!!!! Oh..... Baby, I Love you so much and it was a joy and pleasure to train and run with you!! You are my bestest buddy and I am looking forward to continuing our journey, hand in hand!!
You guys are great. It's refreshing to see two people so happy with one another, and working towards such a great goal together!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Congrats Erin!

Much like you, I was really worried about getting swept. I guess I never took into consideration how much your adrenaline pumps on race day.

You look fantastic, and are a testament to what a living healthy can be all about.

As far as being cheesy and wearing your medals goes - I told another runner I talked to on a bus this - You earned that medal...wear it like a badge of honor. It was great wearing it and hearing the cast members congratulate me on my run, and I'm sure you felt just the same.

Now, use this as inspiration to keep going...keep pushing....You have a taste...now use that to your advantage :)

Phonedave

The weather is something we are both worried about. Luckily we can train all summer in the heat down here and are going to do a half in June most likely so hopefully that will help prepare us for the heat and humidity.

Question- a lady we met who was doing the Goofy was talking to us about the Wine and Dine and said the party afterwards was a total disaster but she knew it was the first year and didn't want to go into details or make negative comments. Any idea what she was referring to?

Great job Erin, all that worrying for nothing :)

The party at the Wine & Dine was not good. I had two friends who paid for the tickets to go, and they both wrote very long emails to Disney about how disappointed they were.

There were some musical acts. The Malestrom was open. The Grande Fiesta Tour was open, and a lot of the food stands. That was it.

You got one 'free' food and one free 'drink' for your admission. The event was crazy crowded - and it was not sold out. Lines at the food stands were longer than during a normal weekday during F&W. Then the cut off alcohol 20 minutes before closing without telling anyone. We did not get to even use our free drink tickets. We were in line for drinks and they cut the line off 3 people in front of us. Remember too, that it is a late night event, people are tired. I may also be jaded by the fact that they lost my bag at bag check, and I walked around soaking wet for over an hour till they found it. It was to the point where I was starting to shake (i.e onset of hypothermia) - no mylar blankets, no towels, they lost my dry clothes, and am walking around in running shorts and a sleeveless shirt, soaked to the skin in sweat. It was not a fun night.

Oh, and the drainage ditch along the side of the marathon start became an unofficial group urinal. :)

-dave

Erin_Akey

Original Poster

The party at the Wine & Dine was not good. I had two friends who paid for the tickets to go, and they both wrote very long emails to Disney about how disappointed they were.

There were some musical acts. The Malestrom was open. The Grande Fiesta Tour was open, and a lot of the food stands. That was it.

You got one 'free' food and one free 'drink' for your admission. The event was crazy crowded - and it was not sold out. Lines at the food stands were longer than during a normal weekday during F&W. Then the cut off alcohol 20 minutes before closing without telling anyone. We did not get to even use our free drink tickets. We were in line for drinks and they cut the line off 3 people in front of us. Remember too, that it is a late night event, people are tired. I may also be jaded by the fact that they lost my bag at bag check, and I walked around soaking wet for over an hour till they found it. It was to the point where I was starting to shake (i.e onset of hypothermia) - no mylar blankets, no towels, they lost my dry clothes, and am walking around in running shorts and a sleeveless shirt, soaked to the skin in sweat. It was not a fun night.

Oh, and the drainage ditch along the side of the marathon start became an unofficial group urinal. :)

-dave
Ouch Dave, that doesn't sound good at all! Hopefully they have everything worked out by this year's race!

JillC LI

The Verrazzanno Bridge was the unofficial men's urinal at the start of the NYC Marathon. Thankfully my start location was on the upper level. I wouldn't have been too happy on the lower level on a windy day!

JillC LI

What a touching post. It truly brought a tear to my eye. What a lucky couple you are to be able to share this experience together. Hats off to both of you. :wave:

Erin_Akey

Original Poster
What a touching post. It truly brought a tear to my eye. What a lucky couple you are to be able to share this experience together. Hats off to both of you. :wave:

I am definitely one dang lucky woman. And for the record, Ben COULD run much faster than me, but he always runs WITH me. He has been there during every step of my weight loss and during all of my running etc. I keep telling him one day I want him to run his pace in a 5k and see what he can really do!

Our little cheesy tradition in every race we do together is to cross the finish line hand in hand. Yeah we are mushy, but that's ok! :D

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I am definitely one dang lucky woman. And for the record, Ben COULD run much faster than me, but he always runs WITH me. He has been there during every step of my weight loss and during all of my running etc. I keep telling him one day I want him to run his pace in a 5k and see what he can really do!

Our little cheesy tradition in every race we do together is to cross the finish line hand in hand. Yeah we are mushy, but that's ok! :D

That's so sweet! :D

Figment82

My boyfriend and I do that too! He started it during the first race we did together, and all I could think was, "Ew! Sweaty hands!" But now I think it's sweet of him. :)

DisneyRunner

Erin, that would make my day too, if my kids showed up at the finish line on their own. At their ages, that was a big under taking. I appreciate the story.

JillC LI

That's not cheesy - it's fantastic! When my son (age 11) ran his first 5K with me last fall, we crossed the line holding hands as well. Of course I had expected that I'd have to slow down to his pace, but the opposite turned out to be true! (very humbling experience, lol) It meant alot to me that he still wanted to hold my hand across the Finish Line. I just wish my hubby had been able to catch a photo of it. Oh well. We got a post-rae photo together.

dreamfinder

First, off congrats on finishing, we told you you could do it.

I read some reports that it was crazily crowded and the offerings were not really worth the chaos.

You have a great attitude and will do GREAT!

About the disaster of a party - imagine if after finishing the half marathon on Saturday you were drenched with sweat from the humidity and had to go to bag claim to get a change of clothes. Then imagine that everyone going to bag claim had been immediately herded into an enclosed building where the indoor temperature was 10 degrees or more warmer than the outside air, even before you had cooled down from the race. Then imagine that you had to wait in a line that didn't move for 30 minutes or longer before you could get out of the building. That was the first major problem. It gives me a headache all over again just thinking about it.

Then, imagine that after escaping the bag claim, trying to get food or wine meant enduring ridiculously long lines at the food vendors. And that there were very few rides open - actually, I believe there were more rides open than were advertised ahead of time.

I'd like to do that race again someday when they have the kinks worked out. The actual race was fun with a great course that took us through the Animal Kingdom park and the Hollywood Studios park before ending at Epcot, so we had the fun of running through 3 parks in a half marathon!

Yeah, that was basically it. It was very tough to get through the crowd right after the finish. Then the one drink and one food coupon coupled with only two attractions being open was a little weak for an after party.

After the ToT 13k after party that included RnRC, ToT, GMR TSM, etc., it just didn't compare.

-dave

The W&D party was really more a chance for Epcot to sell more food and booze than anything for the runners. As mentioned before, the finish area was a bit lacking in size. I finished early enough to not have it be an issue, but they had everyone funneling into what looked like a single file line to get your bag. Normally you have a bit of an area for cool down, stretching, whatnot. But there was really no space and they made you keep moving forward. Once you got into Epcot it was a bit chaotic. No one really seemed to know what was going on, or where stuff was. And in all honesty, most of the food/drinks in the F&W fest aren't really meant for post race. Yeah, I had a beer and an empenada, but thats a far cry from my normal smoothie. And the food was the main event at the party. I don't recall any food in the corral, just water and powerade. They did have entertainment pretty much in each country, but not really what I would look for after a race. And the complete lack of mylar blankets was a shock.

Similar priced tickets for the ToT13k post race parties let you onto 5 D/E ticket rides. I mean come on, doing TSM 6 times in a row with no wait was worth the cost of a ticket alone. Yeah no food vouchers, but they had more food in the finish area for those races. Admittedly, they probably needed to sell a certain number of tickets to justify all the staff that was in Epcot. (And there was a lot. They even had roaming waiters trying to sell drinks that way) And having a race based around the F&W fest not involve the fest in any way would be foolish. But still.....

The race itself was awesome. Very well done. But the pre race gathering and the post race party need some rethink. I imagine that once they get their act together it will be a solid race.

Phonedave

The W&D party was really more a chance for Epcot to sell more food and booze than anything for the runners. As mentioned before, the finish area was a bit lacking in size. I finished early enough to not have it be an issue, but they had everyone funneling into what looked like a single file line to get your bag. Normally you have a bit of an area for cool down, stretching, whatnot. But there was really no space and they made you keep moving forward. Once you got into Epcot it was a bit chaotic. No one really seemed to know what was going on, or where stuff was. And in all honesty, most of the food/drinks in the F&W fest aren't really meant for post race. Yeah, I had a beer and an empenada, but thats a far cry from my normal smoothie. And the food was the main event at the party. I don't recall any food in the corral, just water and powerade. They did have entertainment pretty much in each country, but not really what I would look for after a race. And the complete lack of mylar blankets was a shock.

Similar priced tickets for the ToT13k post race parties let you onto 5 D/E ticket rides. I mean come on, doing TSM 6 times in a row with no wait was worth the cost of a ticket alone. Yeah no food vouchers, but they had more food in the finish area for those races. Admittedly, they probably needed to sell a certain number of tickets to justify all the staff that was in Epcot. (And there was a lot. They even had roaming waiters trying to sell drinks that way) And having a race based around the F&W fest not involve the fest in any way would be foolish. But still.....

The race itself was awesome. Very well done. But the pre race gathering and the post race party need some rethink. I imagine that once they get their act together it will be a solid race.

It was in a bag.

You finished. Then took your picture. Then got a water. Then get a bag with a muffin and a banana in it. Then you entered bag check hell. Thats it.

I missed it initialy too. I had to back track to get the bag. They almost didn't let me back, till I told the lady I never got a bag because I had no idea they were there. They were over on the right hand side as you came through. If you were over to the left, it was VERY easy to walk right by them.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom