First Cruise!

lovepooh

Original Poster
We just booked and paid for our first cruise this March. To the Mexican
Rivera. We are so excited, this is our daughters High school graduation
gift. It will be the three of us. Myself Dh, DD ... she is 17.

Any advice I would love.. what to bring, what to pack..
we are thinking of doing Port Adventures the question is
is it worth it?

:ROFLOL:

devoy1701

Bump......I am sure someone has some ideas :ROFLOL:

No ideas here! But we're going to be booking our first Disney Cruise soon (and my first cruise ever!)! We are booking the 7-night Western Caribbean on the Disney Fantasy (whose maiden voyage is only 3 weeks before we set sail on it)! We are very excited!

(Richard we'll be in touch soon!)

MarkTwain

Thought I'd take a shot at this thread. :)

Generally, there's not too many things I need to pack on a cruise that I wouldn't pack on a normal trip to Florida or WDW. There are, though, both formal nights and pirate nights. You can decide how formally you would like your family to dress up, and my family and I always get into pirate night with our pirate costumes (and we're always in good company ;)). Obviously swimsuits and warm weather wear are a must, and I would recommend at least some type of long pants or similar nice-ish attire for dinner (what you might consider "church clothes"). Otherwise, there's not much you need to pack besides that's not related to your Disney fandom. My family always brings magnetic signs that we put on our door, with our names, planned itineraries, favorite characters, etc. I'm also always sure to bring my pin collection. Any other Disney- or birthday-related items you'd like to bring are for you to decide.

As for Port Adventures... it's up to you, and everyone's different. It comes down to whether you like to plan vs improvise, pay to see a place vs take it in your own hands. My family usually will pay for excursions, depending on the port. Typically, if we're at a port and it isn't Castaway Cay or Nassau, than we'll pay for an excursion. Transportation is provided, so it removes the expense of a rental car; it takes away the risk of the cruise leaving if you're not back on board (since the cruise will wait for you if you're on an approved shore excursion); and it feels nice to let someone that knows or lives on the island take you around instead of having to figure it out for yourself. We LOVED the Mexican Riviera cruise for its shore excursions. If you're going to Costa Maya like we did, be sure to take a Port Adventure to see some nearby Mexican ruins. It's a very magical experience, and it's great to hear about them from a native of the area.

Just my advice. Have a nice cruise. :wave: I'm sure your daughter will love it.

lovepooh

Original Poster
Thanks Mark for all the good ideas. We are adding DL to the first part of our trip since we are going to be in calif anyway seems a shame not too.

I have come to the conclusion that shore adventures are a must do!

Disneyfalcon

You will love it!! If you search the trip report section you may find some cruise trip reports that are helpful.

The packing list for me is too long to post here but here's a few things:

I like to bring a light up alarm clock because you can't see Disney's in the dark.:)
I always bring a plastic over the door shoe hanger to hold little things. It's a great place for sunglasses, sunscreen, chapstick, lanyards, etc. The kids can walk in and find things quickly.
A light cardigan for the dining rooms, they can be chilly.
Highlighters for everyone to mark what they want to do on the next day's Navigators.
Magnetic dry erase board. We hang these on the outside of the door to leave each other notes of where we are. Here was my daughter's note when we were in Africa :lol: Horrible picture but you get the idea:

3MedCruise101.jpg

We do some organized port excursions and some on our own. Our first cruise was mostly about the ship, but now we take more advantage of activities in the ports.

MarkTwain

Thanks Mark for all the good ideas. We are adding DL to the first part of our trip since we are going to be in calif anyway seems a shame not too.

I have come to the conclusion that shore adventures are a must do!

Oh I see... West coast Mexican Riviera! We did the east coast Riviera with the Yucatan peninsula and Cozumel, which is where the Mayan ruins are. Never done a west coast Mexican cruise (hope to someday!) but I'm sure you'll find some magical shore excursions of your own. :)

devoy1701

Hey Tammy,

Something I'm wondering about is the noise level in the cabins on board since this is a family oriented ship. It's just going to be myself and my fiance (well then wife :D) and I'm debating on whether or not we should get a stateroom in the concierge floor where it might be alittle more "calm"? Are we going to be hearing kids through our walls like you can at the resorts? Do you even notice? I've never gone on a cruise before despite working for Holland America Line for 5 years so I'm not sure what to expect?

Thanks in advanced!

Disneyfalcon

Hey Tammy,

Something I'm wondering about is the noise level in the cabins on board since this is a family oriented ship. It's just going to be myself and my fiance (well then wife :D) and I'm debating on whether or not we should get a stateroom in the concierge floor where it might be alittle more "calm"? Are we going to be hearing kids through our walls like you can at the resorts? Do you even notice? I've never gone on a cruise before despite working for Holland America Line for 5 years so I'm not sure what to expect?

Thanks in advanced!

You worked for Holland America and never cruised?! Shame on you!:lol:

We never noticed the kids. On rare occasion you might hear someone if they were yelling right outside your room, but overall it was very quiet. The staterooms are very well insulated. They're not like hotel room doors. The doors kind of seal when they shut. I prefer rooms near the elevators because of their convenience, and they are definitely high traffic areas. We still never have a problem.:)

Of course I wouldn't discourage concierge, because it's great! The new ships have a special area just for concierge guests that looks awesome!

tiaragirl

A light cardigan for the dining rooms, they can be chilly.

One of those pashmina scarves works good as well.. especially if you want to cover up a little. I know when we (me and the girls) went in May we were a little concerned/self conscious about wearing anything strapless - and since that's what a lot of dresses are now (especially for 17+ year olds - let's be realistic), they're good to have for comfort!

My advice is to participate in everrrything you possibly can. I've never done any excursions so I can't help you there, but there's enough to do on the ship that you'll never be bored - or hungry. The food is AMAZING.. pace yourself so you can eat as much as possible :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom