First California theme park set to reopen — without rides

Little by little, the animals seem to be disappearing. That may or may not be related to the hoard of animal rights protesters that are in front of the park every time we visit.

The "temporary carnival" problem comes from the fact that rides were slapped over the former front parking lot. I mean, you can STILL see the striping on the pavement in some areas! Also, since they chose to add to that area, they effectively blocked off their "front door" to guests. Now you have to walk all the way from the former overflow parking lot at the back of the property, and around a weird corner just to get to the front of the park.

There is SO MUCH potential in this location with the lagoon, but there is just no one (apparently) willing to think creatively as they develop it.

Having said all that.... we still have fun when we go. :)

Finally, I'll add that as a passholder, it's weird that I'm learning about their re-opening plans from a Disney fan forum. I've received ZERO communication from Six Flags since the pandemic began.

P.S. Redwood City location: didn't they have water slides??? Or am I confusing my childhood memories?
Yes, they had water slides in Redwood City.

I'm a member and got emails from the park about their reopening. They open tomorrow (7/2) for pass holders, and I believe on the 4th to the general public. My kids will be out of town till the 4th, but may take them on Sunday just to go walk around. They enjoy the animals, but they are slowly disappearing as you mentioned.

And yes, the entrance is a mess. I've thought for a longtime they need to make the entrance right when you pass the lake.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

>>A real live band, “Dirty Cello,” greeted guests, and a few feet away one of many virus-related signs was posted: “Do The Six: Wear your mask; wash your hands; cover your cough; keep your space; sanitize often; have fun.” <<

Professortango1

Again, I'll repeat what I said in another thread....

The idea that "Museums, zoos, aquariums can open, but theme parks can't" seems so arbitrary to me. I think this Six Flags maneuver really underscores how silly of a distinction this is.

I find it funny that churches can operate in Stage 2 but theatres are in Stage 4. Despite both theatres and churches being the exact same format and event. Both are people onstage performing a script to an audience that is looking to be entertained and enriched. Goes to show that with some money and political pressure, you can open far ahead of when you should.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I find it funny that churches can operate in Stage 2 but theatres are in Stage 4. Despite both theatres and churches being the exact same format and event. Both are people onstage performing a script to an audience that is looking to be entertained and enriched. Goes to show that with some money and political pressure, you can open far ahead of when you should.

But you can't sing or chant in Churches currently in California, but two folks sang from a stage on Knott's Grand Avenue this afternoon, and now Friday through Sundays, but churches can't.

And if you have a 4,000 seat church in California, you can only have 100 members in attendance....

DrAlice

But you can't sing or chant in Churches currently in California, but two folks sang from a stage on Knott's Grand Avenue this afternoon, and now Friday through Sundays, but churches can't.

And if you have a 4,000 seat church in California, you can only have 100 members in attendance....

I think all of this just shows that the state is just making this crap up as it goes along.

Professortango1

Because singing in church usually involves everyone. And technically, knotts shouldn't have them performing either and theatres and concert venues are still unable to hold public performances.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Because singing in church usually involves everyone. And technically, knotts shouldn't have them performing either and theatres and concert venues are still unable to hold public performances.
SFDK had the Cello Players. A couple of weeks ago, South Coast Plaza had a few small groups performing in the mall.

And Anaheim is having a concert.

Phroobar

We are planning on going back to church on July 26th biweekly. We will split into two groups and meet for 30-40 minutes for sacrament. One group a week. Since we have a lay priesthood, we've been authorized to have sacrament at home. Sunday school and youth activities will continue to be via Zoom.

Went to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom this past Friday 7/3. Crowds were light (max of 2000 people allowed for reservation per day) and actual attendees were less according to the person counting the people leaving the park at the exit - about 600 people attended Thursday (opening day) and 700 people attended Friday. They did a fantastic job social distancing people during each of the shows and food was mobile order only. About half the dining locations were open. There were social distancing markings painted on the ground for animal exhibits and in the stadium seating so family groups were 6-10 ft apart from each other. The “Do the Six” message about wearing masks, washing hands, and social distancing were added to the audio announcements and TV monitors between the Looney Tunes cartoons and park trivia. Clear signage everywhere and sanitizing stations near all exhibits and dining locations. All workers there were diligent in reminding/enforcing guests to sit in the right areas and social distance during the animal caretaker talks around the park. All and all was a good visit - photos attached...

Attachments

• EE53E35C-E66D-4A89-B62F-5B69D2C099C8.jpeg
    EE53E35C-E66D-4A89-B62F-5B69D2C099C8.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 18CFC7C8-EFEE-4E7B-BE7C-78C75EDA1713.jpeg
    18CFC7C8-EFEE-4E7B-BE7C-78C75EDA1713.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 45A0D9C6-04E2-44AD-A9CD-9461F6080957.jpeg
    45A0D9C6-04E2-44AD-A9CD-9461F6080957.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 39
  • B01163FD-D872-423F-B8DD-1B9DD4C05BE2.jpeg
    B01163FD-D872-423F-B8DD-1B9DD4C05BE2.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 34
  • A5A5E692-AD26-47F0-A4A1-BB903CA9B1C9.jpeg
    A5A5E692-AD26-47F0-A4A1-BB903CA9B1C9.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 143B9B2B-9941-44A7-9D36-7A5D930BCE09.jpeg
    143B9B2B-9941-44A7-9D36-7A5D930BCE09.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 19F41594-200F-4E52-AB5B-533D98F84832.jpeg
    19F41594-200F-4E52-AB5B-533D98F84832.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 63

Minthorne

This is getting Footloose crazy! Yes?

Last edited:

Professortango1

You are so right and I think people are getting tired of it. Companies are held hostage due to it.
Well, they don't want our healthcare system overtaxed. Maybe now people will vote in favor of a better healthcare system. I'm currently in lockdown due to Corona and it is nasty. My dad has been fighting it and I will likely never see him again if he doesn't make it. Its no joke and people just keep refusing to take it seriously.

DrAlice

I'm currently in lockdown due to Corona and it is nasty. My dad has been fighting it and I will likely never see him again if he doesn't make it. Its no joke and people just keep refusing to take it seriously.
This disease is absolutely no joke. I'm sorry about your dad. Hang in there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom