First and Last Things To Do

MarkandAmy

Original Poster
On our most recent trip to WDW, we decided to start our first day in DHS, and didn't make it to MK until day three. We ended our trip with shopping and dinner downtown.

My family all knew that we had made a big mistake. :hammer: For us, it felt all wrong to not start our trip with a visit to MK. Going to DHS, and then AK, on the first two days made it feel like we weren't "officially" there yet. From now on, we will always start at MK and our family stroll up Main Street.

That being said, ending with Downtown allowed us to enjoy some final moments together as a family, without the rush to get to an attraction or the distractions that come with the parks. It was great to have that time to connect before we went back to "real life."

What are the first and last things you always do on a visit to WDW?

ddbowdoin

kind of varies for us depending on where we stay...

if offsite we start and end at MK, making sure we enter on the right hand side (for some odd reason) and we usually go for a popcorn and / or dole whip.

if we stay onsite (at beach club) we start at MK and end in Epcot... usually riding SSE as our last attraction and goodbye to the world.

zurgandfriend

We always stay at a Magic Kingdom area resort so the first thing after check-in is visit The Magic Kingdom and head to the Haunted Mansion which is always our first attraction.

The night before going home we dine at the California Grill and watch wishes from the roof.

On our last day we have a big breakfast, either Whispering Canyon, Grand Floridian Café or the Kona Café. We re-visit The Magic Kingdom and our last attraction is always it’s a Small World.

plaz10

We used to have this - firts ride was SSE and last ride was PoTC. Just kind of happened by chance that we did those things first and last 2 trips in a row.

But this year we're already planning to hit AK first (to get it out of the way! :lol:) so maybe we'll keep the PoTC tradition alive

draybook

First doesn't really matter to us but the last ride HAS to be the Haunted Mansion, and I HAVE to be the last person on it(besides the final cm). On this past trip in March I even made the family hide out with me in the interactive queue until the front CM's came through and ushered us inside.

baymenxpac

first AM is usually MK (something in fantasyland), with first day trip lunch at columbia house.

last thing is almost always california grill.

DisneyDude10

When we first arrive we go to MK and head straight for Pan and wait in the standby line. We do this no matter what time of day and no matter the wait time. This makes us appreciate our fast passes throughout the rest of the trip as well as giving us the feeling that we experienced the park in a traditional manner.

The last thing we do is go to MK and try to find a paintbrush on TSI. Then we just meander around and admire the park before we have to depart for the real world.

dave&di

We always go to the MK on our 1st morning, and we always end with the MK too, in 2010 our last night at the MK was a Mnsshp evening! It looks like it will go the same way this year with a Mnsshp evening on the 11th Sept, our last night!

mainstreetusa1

MK for us too - the holiday REALLY starts for me as we go under the railway arches and then up into Main Street....if I'm having a bad day I just imagine myself there. The only cure for me too is to have a date when we'll be back - last day usually ends up MK too, a final circuit on the Railroad then a way goodbye til next time :wave:

Disneycoog

When we first arrive we go to MK and head straight for Pan and wait in the standby line. We do this no matter what time of day and no matter the wait time. This makes us appreciate our fast passes throughout the rest of the trip as well as giving us the feeling that we experienced the park in a traditional manner.

The last thing we do is go to MK and try to find a paintbrush on TSI. Then we just meander around and admire the park before we have to depart for the real world.

Sad to say they stopped the paintbrush find on TSI early this year. It was one of many upsetting things that happened to us at WDW at Spring Break. So we are trying to make it a better one during Christmas this year.

The Empress Lilly

I always start with the MK. When I walk beneath the train station, that's when I'm there.

I don't know what we always finish with. I kick and scream and fight and then they tranquilise me and drag me out and when I wake up I'm on a plane somewhere and I don't remember what happened.

Sans Souci

We start at Epcot and it's kind of become a tradition to have dinner at the Tangierine Cafe and watch Illuminations.

We also end with Epcot and another viewing of Illuminations.

We always start with Buzz at MK on the first day. The last night is usually something different every time, we don't have any tradition. I really like to spend the last night at DTD and eating at Ragland Road

After driving to wdw traditionally we take a nap in the resort, then we ussualy go and eat thanksgiving dinner.

At the end of our trip we say goodbye to magic kingdom and cry.. haha

tarin24u

We always do MK first and last... our first and last ride is always Splash :) I take a picture of my kids in front of us looking back every time. Now we have a timeline of the same shot. Love that!

two4dud

First Day is usually MK. Hearing the music, seeing the castle and watching Tinkerbelle fly let me know I've arrived! Last day is usually a fun character breakfast and Downtown Disney for souvenier shopping. Just relax and soak in the last bit of magic.
This year will be a bit different. Getting in later than planned so doing Whispering Canyon Cafe for dinner and then off to Downtown Disney to let daughter pick out an autograph book to get her in the mood for next day adventure at MNSSHP! Week will end with Ohana's breakfast and Downtown Disney. :)

Sweet Melissa

I understand what you mean. I feel like the best way to start a Disney vacation is by going to the Magic Kingdom. Taking a resort bus to the park and hearing that Mickey Mouse Club fanfare as you reach the front entrance is the best way to get in to the Disney spirit, in my opinion.

We were living on the east coast for all of our previous trips. Flying from NYC to MCO only takes a couple hours. We could usually catch an early morning flight out of Newark or JFK and be in the Magic Kingdom well before lunchtime. Now that we're living in Montana and there are no direct flights from our local airport to Orlando, we're going to spend most of the day traveling. On our next visit, we'll be arriving on Halloween, so by the time we get to MCO, catch the Magical Express to our resort, check in, and catch a bus to the Magic Kingdom, we might only have an hour or less before the park closes for the Halloween party, if we make it at all. It's going to be weird to not be able to start the vacation in our "traditional" way.

Usually our last day is not structured at all. We'll get up late, pack up, check out, drop our bags with bell services, then maybe go to another resort for lunch or to whatever park tickles our fancy. Sometimes we'll play "bus roulette" and just hop on whatever bus happens to come next. More often than not we end up in Epcot for a few hours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom