First Adulthood trip, with OCD, need tips!

Nikkila

As the title mentioned I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, mainly a fear of germs. This trip is to celebrate my husband and I's ten year anniversary. This is a huge leap for me. The last time I was at Disney was when I was 9, and we went because of make-a-wish. (my sister had cystic fibrosis) Any helpful tips, or heck just good old "everything will be fine" would work. Our trip is December 15-18, and this is high germ season. Thanks guys!

Tom

Beta Return
I don't like germs either, but I just give in and know that there's nothing I can do beyond washing my hands often when at WDW. Millions of guests, lots of grab bars and hand rails...and I've never gotten sick after a visit :)

Upvote 0

BobConnor

Just wash your hands a lot, there are plenty of opportunities. Ask for extra soap and tolietries if you are staying at a resort. There seem to be plenty of restrooms. At my visit, Magic Kingdom seems to be the cleanest. At our resort, All Star Music, in the morning the cleaners around the pool used Outdoor Clorox in a pump spray to clean the lounge chairs and around the pool so the morning is the cleanest time. There is a petting zoo at Animal Kingdom and they have you wash your hands after your visit. The soap is nice but the faucets and drains are slow. Disney fix this!

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

As the title mentioned I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, mainly a fear of germs. This trip is to celebrate my husband and I's ten year anniversary. This is a huge leap for me. The last time I was at Disney was when I was 9, and we went because of make-a-wish. (my sister had cystic fibrosis) Any helpful tips, or heck just good old "everything will be fine" would work. Our trip is December 15-18, and this is high germ season. Thanks guys!
People who tell you to just wash your hands don't understand what a true OCD germ phobic is dealing with. While this is good advice to most, it doesn't really help a germaphobe. Because of a serious health issue, I am also extremely germ conscious. Make sure and take antibacterial wipes as well as hand sanitizer with at least 72% alcohol. Purell has one in the small bottles with hangers. I mainly use these at Disney. I hang the sanitizer on my lanyard or on a loop on my jeans so it's easy to get to and I won't forget to use it. I wipe my bag/backpack down each night when I get back to the room. I do wash my hands often. I'm sure you already use wipes on the remote in the room and the faucet handles etc. I also bring a small Lysol for the room. They have tiny little cans at Target. I go to much greater extremes, but if you don't have a health issue, you won't need to do those. I have gone to Disney many, many times and only got sick once and that was during the height of flu season. You will be there well before that time. If you and your husband wash your hands often and use the sanitizer, you should do just fine. The only ride I avoid is Mission Space. The enclosure is so small there's really no way to protect yourself. I have a very weak immune system and I've done fine with the above precautions. However, the trick to keeping yourself safe is to make sure your DH also takes precautions.

Upvote 0

Mukta

My compulsions aren't cleanliness related, but I do have some. Are you medicated or has a therapist taught you some coping skills?

Upvote 0

Nikkila

Original Poster
I do and am! I take regular medication, however, it does not always cover the BIG triggers. Another scare is good poisoning. And I against my own advice read the food poisoning thread. Ugh! People breathing on me, unfortunately, can be solved by purell. I am hoping that I can power through it. Previous trips have had not so great outcomes. I just panic. And the time of year doesn't help.

Upvote 0

Sans Souci

I had written up a lengthy reply earlier, deleted it and I now I will repost it. Honestly, I see no dichotomy between physical illness and mental illness, but I recognize others have divergent points of view. :p

I know it's a bit late in the game for you at this point, as you are leaving in less than a month. However, I say this to you as a fellow OCD (hand washing compulsion) to see someone about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). It is a very brief course of treatment and it consists of identifying your automatic thoughts/cognitive distortions and providing you with the tools to stop those thoughts.

I am not going to lie, this time of year is a challenge for me. However, what I was able to take away from CBT was the ability to stop those automatic thoughts regarding germs and replace them with rational thoughts. I finally realized getting sick was not a catastrophic event. Honestly, life is 110% better for me now that I am no longer enslaved to intrusive worrisome thoughts about "germs" and the overwhelming compulsion to wash my hands.

Upvote 0

Nikkila

Original Poster
Most of my coping skills are related to envisioning things. By if the sensory stimulation is too much, then I rely on medication. This can give me a slightly intoxicated or sleepy feeling. I don't want that to ruin the trip either.

Upvote 0

Nikkila

Original Poster
CBT is great! But at some point my body reacts even when my mind knows better. Traveling is obviously a huge trigger. I hand wash and also hold my breath. I have others as well. I just really want to ENJOY, not just mitigate a problem.

Upvote 0
I have issues too, but they always seem to decrease or even disappear while I'm in Disney. I can't explain why, exactly. I guess it is being in the Disney "bubble". While I'm there, I don't watch the news or read any newspapers. I also use my cell phone as little as possible. I still use Purell and hand sanitizing wipes often, and I always avoid the wet nuts food stands. My advice would be to allow yourself to be enveloped by the Disney magic and happiness.

Upvote 0

Mrsdonaldduck

I had written up a lengthy reply earlier, deleted it and I now I will repost it. Honestly, I see no dichotomy between physical illness and mental illness, but I recognize others have divergent points of view. :p

I know it's a bit late in the game for you at this point, as you are leaving in less than a month. However, I say this to you as a fellow OCD (hand washing compulsion) to see someone about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). It is a very brief course of treatment and it consists of identifying your automatic thoughts/cognitive distortions and providing you with the tools to stop those thoughts.

I am not going to lie, this time of year is a challenge for me. However, what I was able to take away from CBT was the ability to stop those automatic thoughts regarding germs and replace them with rational thoughts. I finally realized getting sick was not a catastrophic event. Honestly, life is 110% better for me now that I am no longer enslaved to intrusive worrisome thoughts about "germs" and the overwhelming compulsion to wash my hands.
This is so true! Wonderful post!

Upvote 0

Mukta

Also I am very personal about the issue. I have enjoyed venting to you internet "strangers". Thank you!
I know what you mean and I am glad we are able to support you. I do well with quiet areas to decompress.

I know you are going during a busier time of year, but if crowds feel overwhelming, try to get to a quiet corner. I love Epcot's wide open spaces and lots of quiet spots.

Upvote 0

Disney Shib

I do and am! I take regular medication, however, it does not always cover the BIG triggers. Another scare is good poisoning. And I against my own advice read the food poisoning thread. Ugh! People breathing on me, unfortunately, can be solved by purell. I am hoping that I can power through it. Previous trips have had not so great outcomes. I just panic. And the time of year doesn't help.

I've gone to Disney that week last year and it wasn't as crowded as I expected. Maybe the smaller crowds will help you feel less stress with fewer people around? I can't imagine the worry you must feel but I hope you have a wonderful vacation. :)

Upvote 0

Nikkila

Original Poster
Smaller crowds will help for sure. I am also happy we are staying at the Yacht Club. It is a little closer so I can "escape" for a few if need be. I also chose "higher end" restaurants in hopes that it will help curb my fear of food poisoning.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Individually-packaged hand sanitizing wipes are great for doing a super-fast wipedown of surfaces (e.g., surfaces in your hotel room, restaurant tabletops, handlebars and restraints in ride vehicles), and if you're flying, you don't have to worry about liquid/gel limits when you bring them.

As far as people breathing on you, hopefully you'll find you're not in super-close contact with other guests (except for your husband, of course ;) ), and you may find that the sights and sounds of WDW distract you from thinking about it! (If worse comes to worst, does wearing a surgical facemask help you feel better? That's an option.) :) Happy Anniversary and have a wonderful trip!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom