Finding Nemo the Musical to Close for rehab?

disnyfan89

Original Poster
I called the WDW call information center today and was asking about Finding Nemo the Musical and learned that it would be closing down Feb. 1st thru March 21st. I was told that it is closing so that they can rebuild the stage so that is can better absorb the dancers movement and prevent some of the recent sprains that have been running thru the cast. They are also talking the opportunity to work on the script and improve some of the scene in the show. Remember this information is subject to change based on when Disney can get the construction crew and that in general comes from a cast member who might be blowing smoke. I thought it was interesting so I figured I would share.

disnyfan89

Original Poster
More poor planning and construction... hmmm.... what a shame.
No I wouldn't say it's poor planning or construction. You have to remember the stage was used for a Stunt show using inline skates. All they did was redesign it for Nemo. It was obviously something they didn't think would come up so they didn't anticipate a need to fix the stage. I figured the show would close for awhile anyway to make changes and adjust the script a bit since that is what every major show does.

pheneix

This change has not been reflected on the official website, yet...

If they are going dark for six weeks, they don't need to stop with the stage. They need to dramatically increase the extended queue outside for this theater. When this theater was built in 1998 it had that entire slab of walkway by the waterfront to act as a queue. Now that same path is a critical artery for thousands of guests to get to and from Dinoland to Everest. The current crowd control scheme is a fiasco. Chalk up another one for "poor planning" if the rumor about the stage is true. While we are dreaming, they desperately need additional seating. Of course, outside of bending the laws of physics I don't see that one happening.

It seems unlikely that they could take that show down for six weeks right after its grand opening (and right as spring break starts ramping up, no less), but if this is true, I can easily see where they could find six weeks of work to do.

the-reason14

Dang, I kinda wished I was able to see it before improvements were set in. I always like to see thinds kinda in there "soft open" state. Well, it is for the better. Hopefully they will get whatever they need to get, right so that it will be ready for me and my family in July.

Well, hopefully Ill be able to go back in spring, so heres to hoping.

dxwwf3

Interesting. I've avoided any audio or video for this show because I expect it will be my favorite stage show at WDW and I want to go in fresh. Hopefully they are able to make some good changes to the management of the show.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I called the WDW call information center today and was asking about Finding Nemo the Musical and learned that it would be closing down Feb. 1st thru March 21st. I was told that it is closing so that they can rebuild the stage so that is can better absorb the dancers movement and prevent some of the recent sprains that have been running thru the cast. They are also talking the opportunity to work on the script and improve some of the scene in the show. Remember this information is subject to change based on when Disney can get the construction crew and that in general comes from a cast member who might be blowing smoke. I thought it was interesting so I figured I would share.

I'll believe it when I see it...

Theaters throw down a floor type called Marley all the time when touring dance productions go into venues. Few theaters are built for dance, thus the marley or other such similiar floor for extra cushion.

Closing Nemo in Feb when it Grand Opens in January seems like a fiasco waiting to happen.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Come to think of it..

Nemo the Musical doesn't grand open until the week of the 24th, so it would literally stay open for just 1 more week to finish out January after the press events?

That's just enough time for the press to publish all their articles about how great the musical is that they just saw. Have all the people show up to find it closed... big big fiasco..

obsessedw/wdw

This change has not been reflected on the official website, yet...

If they are going dark for six weeks, they don't need to stop with the stage. They need to dramatically increase the extended queue outside for this theater. When this theater was built in 1998 it had that entire slab of walkway by the waterfront to act as a queue. Now that same path is a critical artery for thousands of guests to get to and from Dinoland to Everest. The current crowd control scheme is a fiasco. Chalk up another one for "poor planning"

I completely agree... why in the world they are lining up the que the way they are, I will never figure out. And who's idea was it to send guests into the theatre on ONE- SIDE of the theatre? Huh? Every other show, like Beauty in the Beast, and Indiana Jones sends guests into the back center through two different entrances.. so they can feed into either half of the theatre.

Also maybe they can fix the attitude of the CM's at this theatre... I ran into alot of down right rude CM's, there. And extremely unorganized.

This show needs alot of help in my opinion.

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
I completely agree... why in the world they are lining up the que the way they are, I will never figure out. And who's idea was it to send guests into the theatre on ONE- SIDE of the theatre? Huh? Every other show, like Beauty in the Beast, and Indiana Jones sends guests into the back center through two different entrances.. so they can feed into either half of the theatre.

Also maybe they can fix the attitude of the CM's at this theatre... I ran into alot of down right rude CM's, there. And extremely unorganized.

This show needs alot of help in my opinion.

I agree that their cast members do need some more training on manners and questions that are going to be asked. And how to say I'm not sure, but I'll find out... instead of Iono... ugh... lol.

davidpw97

I agree that the queue for this ride is pretty flawed. Especially exiting. Everyone was lined up for the next show pretty close to where the previous show exited and it was a mess trying to walk through, around, over, under the line of people who were waiting to get in while you were trying to escape.
I'm not sure what if anything should be changed in regards to script. For those who have said the script needs work, what would you change?

WDnJH

What's the number to the WDW call information line? It's hard for me to believe that the show will be dark for so long. Especially since they would still have to pay all of the actors their full salaries during that time. Also I have friends and family coming in from out of town during that time specifically to see the show. I'll have to ask at work what's going on.

ISTCrew20

I know they had small lifts and things out and they were working on the back of the stage, which I assumed was to fix the leak problems when it rains.

Jerm

This really sounds to me more like Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor then the Nemo show. I would file this one under wrong CM info.

J

RonAnnArbor

I would agree that this is incorrect information from the CM from the getgo.

Not only is Disney advertising the show locally with it's grand opening, it is advertising it internationally including a massive print push in the next two weeks. It will not close the next wekk.

The floor already HAS a dance floor surface to as much of it as they can that does not effect the sets.

As a musical theatre director, I can tell you that shows don't work that way. If they were going to close the show for refurb, it would be closed right now, and the opening pushed back to March. That is not what is happening here.

Similarly, there are NO changes being made to the script or music at this time -- the show itself is set.

The problems the show has been having have been with technical aspects -- in particular two sequences in which the entire set changes and is replaced by an increasingly intricate set - as the two sets pass each others in the rafters, their batten's have been having trouble passing and it has been upsetting the light scheme as the rods bump. Because the light rods also hold and buffet all the flying equipment and movables, this has needed readustment and tweaking.

Shows that have not completed have done so because one set is stuck and the next can not be lowered or fixed with the audience in the house. Hence, the show ends and the cast is sent out - the sets reset and tested, then back to business.

It IS true that Monsters Inc at MK will be down through March. That has been pretty widely announced.

teebin

I would agree that this is incorrect information from the CM from the getgo.

Not only is Disney advertising the show locally with it's grand opening, it is advertising it internationally including a massive print push in the next two weeks. It will not close the next wekk.

The floor already HAS a dance floor surface to as much of it as they can that does not effect the sets.

As a musical theatre director, I can tell you that shows don't work that way. If they were going to close the show for refurb, it would be closed right now, and the opening pushed back to March. That is not what is happening here.

Similarly, there are NO changes being made to the script or music at this time -- the show itself is set.

The problems the show has been having have been with technical aspects -- in particular two sequences in which the entire set changes and is replaced by an increasingly intricate set - as the two sets pass each others in the rafters, their batten's have been having trouble passing and it has been upsetting the light scheme as the rods bump. Because the light rods also hold and buffet all the flying equipment and movables, this has needed readustment and tweaking.

Shows that have not completed have done so because one set is stuck and the next can not be lowered or fixed with the audience in the house. Hence, the show ends and the cast is sent out - the sets reset and tested, then back to business.

It IS true that Monsters Inc at MK will be down through March. That has been pretty widely announced.

yep, ain't gonna happen. this thread is a non-starter as much as some of you want to screech and screem and wring your hands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom