'Finding Nemo: The Big Blue… and Beyond!'

TrainsOfDisney

But I do think nothing matches the spectacle aspect of Nemo. Except for maybe Frozen in Disneyland.
Those are the 2 winners in my book as well. I wish the acoustics and seating was better at DAK - that really makes a difference for the Hyperion theatre experience.

Are you familiar with Shakonohey at Dollywood and Katonga at Busch Gardens? Those were pretty amazing theme park productions you might like to look up on YouTube.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Those are the 2 winners in my book as well. I wish the acoustics and seating was better at DAK - that really makes a difference for the Hyperion theatre experience.

Are you familiar with Shakonohey at Dollywood and Katonga at Busch Gardens? Those were pretty amazing theme park productions you might like to look up on YouTube.
I am not, but I will certainly look those up! Especially since I'm just a couple of hours away from Dollywood. Is it still running there?

TrainsOfDisney

I am not, but I will certainly look those up! Especially since I'm just a couple of hours away from Dollywood. Is it still running there?
It’s not, it’s been several years but it was super impressive for a theme park show. Dolly Parton wrote the music for it.

Have you ever seen the Christmas shows they do?

I don't understand why they replaced the original set pieces with flat "paper inspired" ones... Yikes, those look cheap. What was wrong with the original set pieces?

..So there goes the spectacle.
Agreed. I’ll wait to see the show in person but I don’t think it will have the same spectacle as before.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Article from the Orlando Sentinel with additional information -

"With “Finding Nemo: The Big Blue … and Beyond,” Walt Disney World has enhanced and condensed its beloved clownfish tale with a re-imagined stage musical that debuts to the public at Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park Monday.

Fear not. Beloved characters and bits from “Finding Nemo: The Musical,” which closed more than two years ago, are there, including overprotective Marlin, distracted Dory, Bruce the sly shark and the choreographed moonfish. Appearances by those and others were applauded knowingly during a cast-member preview Friday night.

Musically, audience members continue to be encouraged to just keep swimming, to go with the flow and to use the survival tactic of togetherness.

And as in the past, costumed performers operate large puppets while acting out the scenes inspired by the 2003 Disney-Pixar film “Finding Nemo.” The show’s music was composed by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez, Oscar winners for “Let It Go” from “Frozen” and “Remember Me” from “Coco.”

The “Nemo” story points are juggled around from the original version as the journey of Nemo is now told in flashback format. The length of “Big Blue” is 25 minutes, down from the 40-minute staging of the original.

“I feel like you get so much more, right? It’s packed, and it’s super-energetic. And it just transitions so easily from moment to moment,” art director Matt Fiuza said after Friday’s performance. “And I also feel like you get the secondary story of how Nemo has impacted his friends, which you didn’t get in the first one. So you kind of get a secondary story — beyond.”

Some moments are compacted. The early fret level of Marlin feels lower, and it dwells on Nemo’s deceased mother less. The escape scene is tighter. But there’s still drama inside the dentist’s aquarium and out in the sea with big-puppet encounters with Crush the turtle and Bruce, who tries to persuade, through a production number, that fish are friends, not food.

Some of that drama is helped via new visuals, both virtual and practical, and moody lighting. The backdrop morphs into multiple environments including the ocean floor, the skyline of Sydney, a swirling pattern behind Crush and a menacing appearance of young Darla. It also becomes a soothing, wave-patterned blue look. Projections extend the scenes beyond the edge of the stage.

The onstage action and the on-screen effects play together. A diving mask flops onto the surface in real life, then digital bubbles ripple from that area.

“Because of the way the 3-D model was built of this set, there was a lot of in-the-field editing,” Fiuza said. “They could tweak in the virtual world and in the real world at the same time while we were programming.”

The more compact show will serve Animal Kingdom visitors well, he said.

“I think some of the guests have so much to do in their day that making it 25 minutes makes it much easier to be a part of your day,” Fiuza said.

“There are moments that are heartfelt and that are eased in and that feel like there’s the appropriate time in there,” he said. “So it’s not rushed, but it’s energetic.”

Among the absentees in the new show: Nigel the pelican, dueling swordfish and the penguins who remember they can’t fly. A puppet for Squirt, son of Crush, has been incorporated.

The original show, which opened in the park in 2007, did not come back after the resort’s pandemic shutdown. Eventually, Disney said the musical had been canceled, but later decided to bring back a re-imagined version. It’s been 27 months since Nemo and friends have been seen on the Theater in the Wild stage. The new show’s cast is a mix of returning actors and new performers."

“It’s emotional,” Fiuza said. “I saw backstage, there’s a lot of tears of joy because they’re back here with the audience, and they’re feeling the excitement. So I can only see it building back up.”

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Wait... They took out Nigel the Pelican? That was always a big "whoooaaa!" factor in the audience. Jeez, between that and the new set, the 'spectacle' sounds disappointing. Also, "guests have so much to do" in a park that has like 8 attractions.. lol. We did literally everything (During a busy time) last week and were done by about 4:00 pm.

I'll set my expectations on "watered down."

UNCgolf

Also, "guests have so much to do" in a park that has like 8 attractions.. lol.

It reminds me of the PR speak around eliminating the Magical Express, where they suggested they didn't want to prevent guests from using other options -- as though DME was required to get to Disney.

With that said, I still think DAK has more to do than DHS, thanks to the animal trails.

spectromagic04

Agreed. DAK is a park that is very enjoyable to take time and explore. I think DAK is WDW’s strongest park right now.
Strongest park in the daytime but still needs work to bring back nighttime entertainment. That’s the only thing missing from DAK since reopening is something to keep guests in the park and nighttime show. Nighttime Safari no more, no rivers of light and the tree of life awakenings projection show not being shown in the summer months. Hoping for some announcements at D23 to help strengthen an already great park.

TrainsOfDisney

Strongest park in the daytime but still needs work to bring back nighttime entertainment. That’s the only thing missing from DAK since reopening is something to keep guests in the park and nighttime show. Nighttime Safari no more, no rivers of light and the tree of life awakenings projection show not being shown in the summer months. Hoping for some announcements at D23 to help strengthen an already great park.
Agreed. DAK is a really beautiful park at night too. Even when the park was open at night they didn’t have enough to do since all the theatre shows closed early along with the animal trails. A proper replacement of rivers of light is needed along with new nighttime shows in the theaters.

Heck... you want a real winner? Turn the bird show theater and / or Lion King theater into adventurers club at night!

Use another theater for an international variety show with a live band and acrobats (like the live band and acrobats that have performed as atmosphere in the park.)

Disney Analyst

Agreed. DAK is a really beautiful park at night too. Even when the park was open at night they didn’t have enough to do since all the theatre shows closed early along with the animal trails. A proper replacement of rivers of light is needed along with new nighttime shows in the theaters.

Heck... you want a real winner? Turn the bird show theater and / or Lion King theater into adventurers club at night!

Use another theater for an international variety show with a live band and acrobats (like the live band and acrobats that have performed as atmosphere in the park.)

They need to a create a TDS style lagoon show for DAK.

DCBaker

Premium Member
I’m still super excited to get this back somehow. Hopefully they fixed the benches (doubtful)

4FA263F5-6803-4D06-86D4-4DC29D2A9C52.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom