Finding Nemo/Living Seas rehab complete by July!

Jon_in_NC

This was a post I did back in November for a possible Nemo attraction/ride. I had placed it in the 20,000 Leagues lagoon, but some of the ideas are still applicable for the Living Seas....just fun reading....

Finding Nemo Attraction Idea
Ok, here is my pitch for a Finding Nemo attraction. It would finally make use of the 20,000 Leagues lagoon area.

It would be an Underwater Boat Ride located in the 20,000 Leagues Lagoon. The boats would be riding on water inside of a submerged tube under the water; reminiscent of the now-gone Living Seas attraction (the sea cabs).

Scenario: Nemo asks you to help him find his dad Marlin; who Nemo thinks has gotten lost. Dory is there to help also.

You would board boats shaped like Crush (the sea turtle) on the surface at the 20,000 Leagues dock area. As you begin, you’d have the background story and set-up where Nemo asks for your help. Crush tells you that he’ll have to take you on the East Australian Current (EAC), which will be the tube under the water. The boat would take a short dip down into the tube (e.g. Pirates of the Caribbean sized dip).

Along the way you would:

Talk to Mr. Ray and his school class as they were on a field trip. (Why wouldn’t Nemo be in class? I don’t know, it’s a ride. Lol)

Pass through the jellyfish field. Dory would remember how to get through them and tell you to hop on their tops. The boat would go across ridges in the water to simulate hopping on the jellyfish.

Go through a dark segment where electroluminescent fish would be. Dory and Nemo would tell you to be very quiet and not wake them up. Dory could sneeze or do something that would wake up the fish (maybe start singing her “just keep swimming” song), the fish would light up and then Dory would scream and the boats would speed up to get you away from the fish.

Ask a whale if it has seen Nemo’s dad or ask it for directions. Dory would get everyone in the boat to help speak whale.

Pass through the mine field area. Dory could accidentally pop a “balloon” and the boat would speed up and bounce as the “balloon” mine popped.

You would come up to a large rock and as you rounded it there would be a huge Bruce with his classic “hello” teeth grin. You discover that Nemo’s dad Marlin has been visiting with the sharks at a “Sharks Anonymous” meeting. Nemo introduces you and thanks you for your help. Marlin tells a corny joke as you’re leaving.

Crush takes you back to the dock. As your boat is coming up out of the EAC (tube), you see Gill and the rest of the tank gang floating on the surface still in their plastic baggies coming up with ideas about how to get out.

I don't know if you could do underwater audioanimatronic characters or the best way to technically approach aspects of how to do things, but I just came up with the basic story, regardless of the technical limitations.

Anyone want to take it from here….??

Kwit35

Hi Joy

Way back in the day, the Living Seas had an Ominmover that would take you from the movie (i think the movie was at the begining) to the sea base (the area where exhibits are located). The Sea Cabs where on this omnimover and went right under/through the huge tanks. You would be completely surrounded by the fish. It was very cool.

Joy

Kwit35,
Thanks for the info! I remember the SeaCabs and I can't believe they removed them! They were the best part of the Living Seas. I remember when they opened the Living Seas- I was in 6th grade and it was a truly spectacular attraction, but the last time I was there about 4 years ago, it just looked so run down. I am thrilled that Disney is making some positive changes to bring it back to its original glory. Finding Nemo is a great addition!

TIGGER-FAN

Originally posted by Joy
Kwit35,
I remember the SeaCabs and I can't believe they removed them!

They did not remove them. My wife and I did the Dive Quest tour at The Living Seas this past Thanksgiving week. During the dive we swam over to the tunnel the SeaCabs ran through and peeked in. The ride system is still in place but is not being used. I asked our Divemaster after the dive if they would ever start using them again. He said with all of the complaints guests were making about it not running, there was serious talk of re-opening it. I hope they do re-open the SeaCabs by july, I will be in Orlando then for a conference and will be doing Dive Quest again. It would be fun waiving to the people as they ride through the tunnel.

M. Racer

Re: sea cabs

Originally posted by greg416
I think disney better wake up and realize that the omnimover and the AA rides were what gave it all its appeal not cheap inexpensive to run simulators like mission space don't get me wrong i can see space as an additional aattraction but not as a replacement for horizons , horizons just needed a facelift ,see thats the problem everytime they added an attraction at epcot they took a great attraction away and a disney nut that makes very angry if they want epcot to be what it used to be they need
remember what the disney name is based on!!!!!!!!!
Yo, dude! Sorry but your spelling, grammar, punctuation(or lack thereof), and syntax sucks. I'm not totally sure what you are trying to say. I do agree that Omnimovers make the attraction more appealing. :snore:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sea Cabs Sea Cabs!!! YES! YES! YES!

Btw.... regarding an earlier post - the 2 Horizons demolition reasons were

a) Foundation / Land / sinkhole problem... I think we can discount land and sinkholes if they have built 4 centrifuges there.

b) The building itself. Apparently the ride system was putting too much strain on the superstructure. Since it was a suspended omnimover this seems more likely, don`t you think??

bhg469

Re: Re: sea cabs

Originally posted by M. Racer
Yo, dude! Sorry but your spelling, grammar, punctuation(or lack thereof), and syntax sucks. I'm not totally sure what you are trying to say. I do agree that Omnimovers make the attraction more appealing. :snore:

I disagree with greg's opnion I dont consider anything cheaply done at disneyworld, but dude, hes posting an opinion in a forum, not addressing congress. I doubt his grammar is causing anyone to lose sleep.

CSOM

Re: Re: Re: sea cabs

Originally posted by bhg469
I disagree with greg's opnion I dont consider anything cheaply done at disneyworld, but dude, hes posting an opinion in a forum, not addressing congress. I doubt his grammar is causing anyone to lose sleep.

Spelling isn't so much of a problem, but if you really can't understand what he says, that is a problem.

M. Racer

Re: Re: Re: Re: sea cabs

Originally posted by CSOM
Spelling isn't so much of a problem, but if you really can't understand what he says, that is a problem.
Aw shukS...i wuz JuS teezin dat paw boy an wundrin if englisch wuz a langwige that he getz da opirtoonitee to reed or rite on sum regler BaSis or mebbe he dont.... Ahm still all 4 bringun back dose cute liddel cars and Neemo 2. :p

TravisMT81

My friend and I went a couple weeks ago and was amazed how much this overlay pulled the guest in. They queued us up in the twisted walk up. Then finally they opened the doors and crowded us in the circle room and we waited longer. It was so nice to see so many people inside the Living Seas. It had such life and they were using the tube for a demostration as well.

DW88

Sounds like Nemo is finally giving The Living Seas the "kick" in the right direction-which it needs. Hopefully this re-opening will spur more popularity for Epcot.

By the way, I'm new here! I've just been a lurker and I thought I'd join.:)

imagineer boy

I personally don't think Nemo should be added to the ENTIRE pavillion. I remember reading an interview with an imagineer somewhere and they said that they had to weave the Nemo themeing with the Sea Base Alpha themeing. I saw the pictures of the Nemo exibit and I though it was really cool. I think they should just have a Nemo section of the Living seas. The rest of the pavillion will get revamped to look more futureistic including the return of the Sea Cabs. The Nemo section of the pavillion will have a play pen for kids and interactive exibits based on Finding Nemo. not to mention make the sit down restuaunt there a fast food place where the water literally surrounds you. Think of a big tank, but at the bottom is the resturaunt where it has a glass roof where you can see the sea life above you.

That's just my two cents!:D

AndyP

I hope this is true, i haven't visited The Living Seas probably for my last 4 visits :S Never seemed quite so much to do there, but if this rehab is complete by July, i will be stopping by there when i go!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom